T Nation

Pain During Curls

In my experience, ulnar stress is typically due to the extreme supination of the forearms placing undue stress on the ulnar. This is usually linked to weak forearms (primarily the wrist extensors). Give the straight bar a break for a while and hammer those extensors would be my humble advice. Other than that I agree with X.

Good luck.

Try and find something in the soft tissue of the forearm (the muscles) that replicates your pain. If you do then you’ve got something you can work on with massage techniques and get it sorted. If your hand goes numb you’re on a nerve and stop pressing. If you can’t find anything then see what everyone else has written and figure it out for yourself with all the above advice.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
pstruhar7786 wrote:
Sorry, I might have used the wrong words. I never use a striaght bar only the E-Z curl bar or the dumbbells. Both of which hurt if I use a regular (supinated) grip or a hammer (neutral) grip. However, neither the E-Z curl bar nor the dumbbells give me any trouble using the reverse (pronated) grip. The pain is actually more distal, towards the wrist, not the elbow.

Professor X, I’m not sure I understand what you meant by bones bend, beyond the obvious anyway. Could you clarify how it relates to wrist/ulnar pain?

I wrote that because I have personally answered this question about 500 times on this board yet one of you asks it again every other month.

Your bones are elastic to some degree and heavy loads can cause a slight imperceptible bend that you will only register as pain when you release the weight and the bone goes back to its normal shape.

I would bet this is the cause of at least 80% of the people claiming they feel pain after placing the weight down when doing curls.

Over time, your body should adapt.

If that is not the cause of your pain then it looks as if we have a House MD mystery on our hands.

I’ll go grab popcorn.
[/quote]

I have to agree with PX on this one it’s also partly where the term Bouncing baby comes from as babies have considerably more bone flexability and this is also why young children are more succeptable to green stick typ fractures.