T Nation

Pain Doing Rear Lateral Raises

today, standing high cable rear lateral raises really killed my upper back. inbetween my scapulas, it hurts when i take in a deep breath. whats wrong?

Could be a serratus issue, breathing pain is a commonly reported symptom.

it also hurts whenver i lower the scapulas

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
I would suggest that you have damaged your rhomboids. They retract the scapulae and rotate/elevate them too, in conjunction with other muscles like trapezius and levator scap. Every time you breath in deep, it is likely you are using the rhomboids as an assistor when elevating the ribcage.

This would cause the sharp pain (if it is rhomboids). It’s likely to be just muscular. I would give it some rest, some massage, and then some rehab if it were me. Good luck and speedy recovery dude.[/quote]

thx. i was thinking about foam rolling it

Are dumbbell external rotaions the same as seated dumbbell cleans?

[quote]DION88 wrote:
Are dumbbell external rotaions the same as seated dumbbell cleans?[/quote]

uhhh…wrong thread, but the answer is no. external rotations r a rotator cuff exercise. i would still recommened doing both though

Did you remember to keep your chest out to prevent rounding of your upper back? How much weight did you use?

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Did you remember to keep your chest out to prevent rounding of your upper back? How much weight did you use?[/quote]

i think it was 50 lbs for first two sets, then 45 for the other two.

but ya, i try to keep a ‘beach’ stance whenever i lift as possible: chest up, arch in the lower back. plus, its a little hard to round the upper back when doing standing high cable rear lateral raises.