Pagan Holidays

Christmas Easter and Halloween all supposedly come from pagan holidays. Should Christians keep pagan holidays?

Also god said the sabath is supposed to be on the seventh day why is it on Sunday?

Do you you belive that people can change God’s laws to suit them self better or for enjoyment? For instance changing pagan holidays into “religious holidays” to make them more acceptable.

Also why is it acceptable for Christians to eat pork? The bible says we shouldn’t.

I’m not trying to stir up a big problem or anything just wondering why people call them self Christians and still do these things. I can understand laws change but gods laws don’t.

what makes some one pagan? celebrating pagan holidays? doing things that god wouldn’t have them do on a regular basis without remorse? In the bible people believed in god but still worshiped other gods that made them pagans. In the bible it says if you do wrong things your worshiping satin. If you worship another god doesn’t that make YOU a pagan?

thoughts?

I think today was named after a Norse god.

Perhaps we should stop having Thursdays.

Christ, I’d hate to lose Sundays.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Perhaps we should stop having Thursdays.[/quote]

I think I will write a book titled ‘The War on Thursdays’.

Why should Gibson be the only one to get all that loot for a phoney-ass controversy?

[quote]n3wb wrote:
Christmas Easter and Halloween all supposedly come from pagan holidays. Should Christians keep pagan holidays?

Also god said the sabath is supposed to be on the seventh day why is it on Sunday?

Do you you belive that people can change God’s laws to suit them self better or for enjoyment? For instance changing pagan holidays into “religious holidays” to make them more acceptable.

Also why is it acceptable for Christians to eat pork? The bible says we shouldn’t.

I’m not trying to stir up a big problem or anything just wondering why people call them self Christians and still do these things. I can understand laws change but gods laws don’t.

what makes some one pagan? celebrating pagan holidays? doing things that god wouldn’t have them do on a regular basis without remorse? In the bible people believed in god but still worshiped other gods that made them pagans. In the bible it says if you do wrong things your worshiping satin. If you worship another god doesn’t that make YOU a pagan?

thoughts?[/quote]

God’s dietary laws changed, Peter was told to eat and not to call unclean what God has purified.
I worship satin when my wife is wearing it, lol, just a joke, don’t start picking up stones…

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Perhaps we should stop having Thursdays.[/quote]

I agree…or MOONdays. I always hated those.

I think WED NES DAY creates more problems than MOONday or THU rsday.

I don’t know what WEDNES is exactly but it sounds suspicious.

[quote]Go-Rilla wrote:
I think WED NES DAY creates more problems than MOONday or THU rsday.

I don’t know what WEDNES is exactly but it sounds suspicious.[/quote]

Wednesday is named after Wotan or Odin, the leader of the Norse gods. Thursday is named after Thor and Friday is named after the goddess Frigga or Freya (spelling?).

Wednesday comes from Wodin’s day, Thursday is Thor’s day , Friday is Freya’s day . * Yup , PAGAN and proud of it !!
They Catholic church kept the dates of the old religious ceremonies which were nature based and celebrated important times of the agricultural year so that they could more easily convert the population . Easter was called Oester , Christmas was Yule , Halloween was Samhain and i keep forgetting what midsummer was - Beltane i think .
If you are that curious just google pagan ceremonies

I have no problem borrowing pagan calendar days. Or, even using holiday items originating from pagan celebrations. I don’t worship pagan Gods, so I use them for my own purposes.

There is no commandment to make up our own calendar days, that I’m aware of. So why not use the hollow and powerless (in our eyes) days of the pagan empire?

And, say for example, a wreath? Yup, I borrow that too when I celebrate the birth of Christ. The point being that I don’t use it in observance of pagan holidays, but for my christian christmas.

[quote]n3wb wrote:

thoughts?[/quote]

In my studies I’ve seen that it is generally claimed that the conversion of European heathens was facilitated by the supplanting of their already extant holidays with Christian ones. It was easier for heathens to adapt because they were already celebrating at these times, so slap on some Christian customs over the old ones and voila!

Actually it is the same thing that was done with many of the saints (who were originally local dieties or spirits) and holy places. The heathen groves would be burnt down or cut down and churches would be erected on the site or with their wood. Springs were also a target of this change. You must understand that the Christianity that we see today has evolved through contact with indigenous religions in the past two millenia.

Though the spread of Christianity can be seen as a steamroller over the rest of the world beyond the Middle East, some heathen traditions managed to leave their mark on it as well, my favorite example is the carved face of the hanged man in the stave church at Borgund in Norway(probably representative of Odin the hanged god)