Pacquiao v. Mayweather

Assuming this fight happens…

What is everyones thoughts on this fight?

i’d expect Pacquiao to pace himself as he did in the Cotto fight, Floyd will be Floyd as usual.

Floyd is a great fighter, the best counter puncher out there, but he’s damn boring! But not to be rude, let all us Pac fans enjoy this win. We’ll deal with Floyd in May, cuz Pacs gonna need the rest from this fight.

Floyd is boring to people who don’t appreciate supreme defense and excellent boxing skills. It’s what he does… he’s not a brawler, he doesn’t get his face bashed in. He picks his opponent apart, frustrates them, and at the same doesnt take punishment in return.

I realize this sucks for the fans , but i happen to think its pretty impressive to go 8-12 rounds for a KO or decision and come out looking like he never even got touched. I guess you can say the opponents he picked aren’t up to par?..well wutever his last 3 fights are the same as Manny’s (minus cotto) marquez, delahoya, hatton.

And fuck the size Manny is a welter weight now and he is staying there, size means shit he wants get inthe ring with Floyd…it is wut it is. just let them get in the ring, u pick ur guy, I’ll take money mayweather

I have no idea. Two days ago I’d have told you it would be no contest, but Manny’s combination of speed and power will be difficult for Floyd to deal with.

On the other hand, Floyd’s style is the absolute perfect foil for Manny- he retreats, lands left hooks when the fighter comes in, rolls punches off and counterstrikes with straight rights… he embarrassed Marquez.

In sitting with my theory that good defense always beats good offense, I would tentatively pick Mayweather, only because Mayweather would not look to engage- he would potshot and move, which really would limit the amount of damage Pacquiao (or any fighter) can do. That’s not to say the fight couldn’t go either way if Floyd chose to fight… i just don’t think he will.

[quote]lott42 wrote:
Floyd is a great fighter, the best counter puncher out there, but he’s damn boring! But not to be rude, let all us Pac fans enjoy this win. We’ll deal with Floyd in May, cuz Pacs gonna need the rest from this fight.
[/quote]

he’s a really smart fighter, he’s going to let you beat yourself. since he’s the best defensive fighter out there he can afford to fight the smart fights. floyd isn’t boring, just boring to the untrained eye.

[quote]goldengloves wrote:
lott42 wrote:

he’s a really smart fighter, he’s going to let you beat yourself. since he’s the best defensive fighter out there he can afford to fight the smart fights. floyd isn’t boring, just boring to the untrained eye.[/quote]

Floyd is one of the most gifted and technically sound fighters ever. What I meant to say was he’s so good that he makes fights boring, a la Roy Jones Jr. Guess if you’re a UFC fan, he’d be Lyota Machida.

But Pac has only 2 or 3 great fights left in him. The two obvious fights are Mayweather and Marquez. Mayweather would be first because of the money involved.

Pac would have to fight Maquez at 140-145 because he’ll definitely KO him at that weight because of the speed and power advantage. It’s obvious Marquez can’t bring his speed to that weight unlike Pac. But at 130, the fight would probably go to decision because Marquez wouldn’t be at that disadvantage.

Next year will be fun if you’re a Pac fan! Heck if you’re a boxing fan in general.

The best thing that’s going to happen in 2010 is Hopkins/Jones II. :slight_smile:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I have no idea. Two days ago I’d have told you it would be no contest, but Manny’s combination of speed and power will be difficult for Floyd to deal with.

On the other hand, Floyd’s style is the absolute perfect foil for Manny- he retreats, lands left hooks when the fighter comes in, rolls punches off and counterstrikes with straight rights… he embarrassed Marquez.

In sitting with my theory that good defense always beats good offense, I would tentatively pick Mayweather, only because Mayweather would not look to engage- he would potshot and move, which really would limit the amount of damage Pacquiao (or any fighter) can do. That’s not to say the fight couldn’t go either way if Floyd chose to fight… i just don’t think he will.[/quote]

I agree with all this, I love May and his style espescially against PacMan. Can u imagine the hype for this fight if it happens. also 24/7 mayweather-pacqiauo will be the best show so far bar none

The best thing that’s going to happen in 2010 is Hopkins/Jones II. :)[/quote]

this should be good

Im getting a lil tired of the “the pac fans”, hes blown up all over the world and deserves it, but theres a bunch of band wagon fans out there who had no idea who pac was 2 years ago…these fans are like that guy who changes teams every year at the end of the super bowl.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

In sitting with my theory that good defense always beats good offense, I would tentatively pick Mayweather, only because Mayweather would not look to engage- he would potshot and move, which really would limit the amount of damage Pacquiao (or any fighter) can do. That’s not to say the fight couldn’t go either way if Floyd chose to fight… i just don’t think he will.[/quote]

Everything you said about Floyds style is true. But you can’t compare Marquez and Pac, they’re two completely different fighters. You had a fast counter puncher in Floyd against a slower counter puncher in Marquez. Pac has more speed and power than Marquez at a higher weight.

Guess we’ll have to wait until March or May to argue about this.

Hopkins Jones II will be boooooooring, more than the first one. People forget Roach knows how to beat Gayweather, DLH was close and some people thought he won.

The best thing that’s going to happen in 2010 is Hopkins/Jones II. :)[/quote]

That won’t come close to a Mayweather/Pac fight. Maybe if the fight took place 10 years ago. They’re both too old. Hopkins is still doing well, but Jones is a shell of his former self. He’s lost a lot of speed. Mayweather and Pac are both in their primes and are pretty much #1 and #2 in P4P rankings.

I’ve been waiting for the rematch for most of my life, of course it’ll be the best fight of 2010 to me. Roy has lost a lot of speed but he can still land a 6 right hook combination faster than most can land a 3 punch combo. I’m looking for this to be classic RJJ vs classic Bhop, especially because of the KO clause. i don’t want this discussion to take away from the mayweather/pacquiao discussion though.

If Pacquiao can spin Mayweather he has a good chance of winning, going by Floyd’s style I don’t think he’ll have the chance to. This will be the most Floyd’s defense has been tested in a while, if they fight. I really just want to wait and see what Floyd does before I make a real prediction, there’s no telling what will happen at this point. Pacquiao will be a big money fight and he really can’t fight anyone except Williams or the winner of Mosley/Berto, which wont make as much. Please Floyd, ask for a reasonable split! lol

I’ve been waiting for the rematch for most of my life, of course it’ll be the best fight of 2010 to me. Roy has lost a lot of speed but he can still land a 6 right hook combination faster than most can land a 3 punch combo. I’m looking for this to be classic RJJ vs classic Bhop, especially because of the KO clause. i don’t want this discussion to take away from the mayweather/pacquiao discussion though.

If Pacquiao can spin Mayweather he has a good chance of winning, going by Floyd’s style I don’t think he’ll have the chance to. This will be the most Floyd’s defense has been tested in a while, if they fight. I really just want to wait and see what Floyd does before I make a real prediction, there’s no telling what will happen at this point. Pacquiao will be a big money fight and he really can’t fight anyone except Williams or the winner of Mosley/Berto, which wont make as much. Please Floyd, ask for a reasonable split! lol[/quote]

50/50 sounds good to me

[quote]drewh wrote:
Hopkins Jones II will be boooooooring, more than the first one. People forget Roach knows how to beat Gayweather, DLH was close and some people thought he won. [/quote]

Roach doesnt know how to beat mayweather, cuz he’s never beat him. Dont kid urself bro know one thought delahoya won that fight, try some other way to hate on MONEY cuz this attempt fuckin sucked.

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:
drewh wrote:
Hopkins Jones II will be boooooooring, more than the first one. People forget Roach knows how to beat Gayweather, DLH was close and some people thought he won.

Roach doesnt know how to beat mayweather, cuz he’s never beat him. Dont kid urself bro know one thought delahoya won that fight, try some other way to hate on MONEY cuz this attempt fuckin sucked.

Maybe Roach doesn’t know how to beat Mayweather cuz he’s never had the fighter with the tools to beat him. Oscar was on the downside of his career.

It’ll be fun to argue about this next year if the greedy sides can agree to the split. I’d like a 40/40 split with the remaining 20 going to the winner. But that will never happen.

It’ll be fun watching two of my favorite fighters with contrasting styles go at it. If it happens.

[quote]cutthoat25 wrote:
drewh wrote:

[/quote]

He knows how to beat him, it just sounds like you as a Gayweather fan are scared of Pacman.

As much as I’d like to see this fight happening, Pacman should just ‘Floyd’ Floyd. Meaning he should just fight the winner of Berto/Mosley for his 5th lineal and retire. No money/legacy for PBF :slight_smile: