Pacquiao/Margarito: Let's Discuss

3 things not related to Pac using Margarito as a punching bag:

1. WTF with Nelly having a mini-concert before the fight.
  2. Watching the 3 blond Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders sing the National Anthem made me think about going to a strip club. Especially the middle one.
  3. That is one AWESOME stadium. If only my 49ers can have one of those. Heck, build one and cut the cost with the Raiders!

[quote]fnf wrote:
3 things not related to Pac using Margarito as a punching bag:

1. WTF with Nelly having a mini-concert before the fight.
  2. Watching the 3 blond Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders sing the National Anthem made me think about going to a strip club. Especially the middle one.
  3. That is one AWESOME stadium. If only my 49ers can have one of those. Heck, build one and cut the cost with the Raiders![/quote]

yea that mini concert was annoying. THat shit was like 20 min long. ALso, why wasn’t there a red head or brunet?

The two anthems, concert, and American anthem was pretty annoying. Especially when they talked for about 10 minutes after the concert.

here is the whole fight.

blondes and redheads don’t exist in texas.

I would have given round 8 to Margarito.

Looks like Pac put on a clinic- and for Margarito- how long has he been fighing dirty?

this is kind of silly- Pac fights for a vacant title that he prob cant or won’t defend

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

Yea Margo looked good, but let’s see how he is the first few rounds. Hopefully he looks like DLH or Erick Morales (3rd fight). I expect him to be about 163-165 cuz he’d be stupid to be only 155 or so.
[/quote]

You’re going to know right away. DLH only rehydrated a few pounds up- that’s how we knew he was in trouble. If Margarito comes in at 154 or 155, it’s not a good sign- he drained too much and can’t get it back in time.

If comes in at 160-165… could be a longer night for Pac then we all previously thought[/quote]

His post was on the money though. Pac went the distance.

[quote]rundymc wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

Yea Margo looked good, but let’s see how he is the first few rounds. Hopefully he looks like DLH or Erick Morales (3rd fight). I expect him to be about 163-165 cuz he’d be stupid to be only 155 or so.
[/quote]

You’re going to know right away. DLH only rehydrated a few pounds up- that’s how we knew he was in trouble. If Margarito comes in at 154 or 155, it’s not a good sign- he drained too much and can’t get it back in time.

If comes in at 160-165… could be a longer night for Pac then we all previously thought[/quote]

His post was on the money though. Pac went the distance.[/quote]
I know it’s just funny how he usually picks against Pac, and Pac ends up putting on a near flawless performance.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
here is the whole fight.

blondes and redheads don’t exist in texas.

I would have given round 8 to Margarito.

Looks like Pac put on a clinic- and for Margarito- how long has he been fighing dirty?

this is kind of silly- Pac fights for a vacant title that he prob cant or won’t defend

[/quote]

Margarito got caught in 2009 against Shane Mosley, some people think he was using illegal wraps before that.

I think this fight was really silly, silly can’t even describe this fight. It wasn’t Pac fighting someone at 154 for a title, it’s practically two unranked fighters fighting for a vacant title. Not to mention that Margarito should have been banned indefinitely, didn’t deserve a title shot, and Margarito is so faded it’s almost comical.

I was happy to see Margarito get beat down but there are more deserving fighters out there who could have fought for that title and it’s quite disappointing that Pacquiao’s two possible opponents were Cotto and Margarito. I really wish the ring will move the winner of Paul Williams/Sergio Martinez to the P4P #1 spot because they’d be far more deserving.

^^^

agree with most of this, especially that Sergio Martinez does NOT get the cred he should be getting, I think he won that fight with Williams, and he is one of the best fighters fighting actively right now.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]rundymc wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

[/quote]

His post was on the money though. Pac went the distance.[/quote]
I know it’s just funny how he usually picks against Pac, and Pac ends up putting on a near flawless performance.[/quote]

ya, haha, Irish often picks against Pac, and he often eats crow. I dont think it is an unrealistic bias against Pac man, I think that he, like myself, has a fair understanding of boxing and realizes that eventually even Manny will fight too far out of his natural weight class.

each time he moves up, it seems he is giving up too much size, but he has been able to do it so far, when most mortals could not do the same.

face it, manny is a tiny guy. he looked too small for ODLH, Cotto, Clotley, and against Margarito, seemed he was giving up the most size ever.

He has proven the skeptics wrong so far(myself included), but if he continues to charge up the weight classes, he will eventually be over-matched. The fact that he used Clottley AND Margarito’s heads as a speed bag but could not knock either one out or down proves(to me) that he is close to this limit.

Similar situation with Vitali Klitschko. I love the guy, and I think he is the best heavyweight out there right now(including his brother), but I usually pick against him just because he is getting old and he WILL get old in the ring during a fight eventually if he does not retire soon.

size and age will catch up to fighters no matter how good they are if they push the limit too far.

Not much to say except that I enjoyed the whole card and Bob Arum won big. Exploited the whole Mexican/Filipino rivalry, got a bullshit title on the line, made Pacman look like a superstar and had Margarito “redeem himself”. All good in the Arum camp right now.

To be honest I don’t blame them for picking Margarito. Aside from the reasons above, they gotta get people that Pacquiao is going to put a clinic on, otherwise Mayweather will seem unbeatable (to the average public). Was Pacquiao ever going to do to Marquez what May did to him? No. So he was out of the question.

Soto Karass should have beaten Jones.

Looking forward to Williams/Martinez.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:
Not much to say except that I enjoyed the whole card and Bob Arum won big. Exploited the whole Mexican/Filipino rivalry, got a bullshit title on the line, made Pacman look like a superstar and had Margarito “redeem himself”. All good in the Arum camp right now.

To be honest I don’t blame them for picking Margarito. Aside from the reasons above, they gotta get people that Pacquiao is going to put a clinic on, otherwise Mayweather will seem unbeatable (to the average public). Was Pacquiao ever going to do to Marquez what May did to him? No. So he was out of the question.

Soto Karass should have beaten Jones.

Looking forward to Williams/Martinez.[/quote]

Marquez wants to fight Pac at 130’s, Pac wants it at 147. Marquez can get a decision at a lighter wt, but will get knocked out at 140’s. Marquez looks very slow at a higher wt. So that fight will never happen.
I’d like to see Paul Williams vs Mayweather. They’re about the same size.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

I know it’s just funny how he usually picks against Pac, and Pac ends up putting on a near flawless performance.[/quote]

Well sure. I guess it would be funny if I did pick against Pac… but being as my post was pretty much exactly what happened, I’m not sure where you’re going with this.

Anyway, well…I wasn’t surprised. Pac was way too fucking fast, but not strong enough to knock Margarito out. As Heavy said,he’s topped out at the 147-150 weight, because he couldn’t KO Clotty or Margo, even though he hit them both clean and often.

Margo, however, found some holes, and hit Pac harder then he’s been hit in the last few fights. I’m not going to say he’s slipping, of course, but he’s human, but these very slow, plodding fighters make him look good.

I am completely convinced that if and when he fights Mayweather, he’s going to lose. A fight with Martinez is much too dangerous for them to consider. Martinez has good power, but more importantly, great footwork and angles and he’s a southpaw. Hence why you never see this fight considered- Roach will not let that happen quite simply.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

Well sure. I guess it would be funny if I did pick against Pac… but being as my post was pretty much exactly what happened, I’m not sure where you’re going with this.

Anyway, well…I wasn’t surprised. Pac was way too fucking fast, but not strong enough to knock Margarito out. As Heavy said,he’s topped out at the 147-150 weight, because he couldn’t KO Clotty or Margo, even though he hit them both clean and often.

Margo, however, found some holes, and hit Pac harder then he’s been hit in the last few fights. I’m not going to say he’s slipping, of course, but he’s human, but these very slow, plodding fighters make him look good.

I am completely convinced that if and when he fights Mayweather, he’s going to lose. A fight with Martinez is much too dangerous for them to consider. Martinez has good power, but more importantly, great footwork and angles and he’s a southpaw. Hence why you never see this fight considered- Roach will not let that happen quite simply.
[/quote]
Ok rooted against Pac.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[/quote]

There’s a phrase in boxing that epitomizes the sport; “styles make fights”. I agree, I think the style of Mayweather is wrong for Pacquiao. If Pacquiao were larger I’d feel differently, he’s just too small for Mayweather though. Unless they use a small ring I see Mayweather having a back and forth fight for the first few rounds then putting rounds in the bank once timing Pac and adjusting to his style.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
^^^

agree with most of this, especially that Sergio Martinez does NOT get the cred he should be getting, I think he won that fight with Williams, and he is one of the best fighters fighting actively right now. [/quote]

I think they’re the main reason to watch boxing. They’re not the superstars but both of them can really box and are still hungry since they’re not making the money. If more fighters were willing to fight them I could see their stock rising above where they’re currently at.

very very true golden. it is fair to say that Martinez and Williams are the most “avoided” fighters out there right now irrespective of weight class…lol

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

[/quote]

Being a fan of both May and Pac, May will win by split decision. He does just enough to win and stay out of harms way. He’s not stupid, he knows Pac can KO him.

Why is it everyone wants Pac to fight these big fighters but no one suggests Mayweather do the same. Williams/Marinez would be a good fight for May, I believe you suggested this Irish. Again, May is closer in size to them than Pac.

because mayweather has not fought anybody who remotely has a chance of beating him for about 7 years. no way mayweather gets into the ring with martinez, or williams.

because mayweather has not fought anybody who remotely has a chance of beating him for about 7 years. no way mayweather gets into the ring with martinez, or williams.[/quote]

amazing avatar

Martinez would fucking kill May and Pac. Man I wish that fight happened I really don’t care about Pac or Mau but I could watch Martinez fight all day.

very very true golden. it is fair to say that Martinez and Williams are the most “avoided” fighters out there right now irrespective of weight class…lol[/quote]

Well, neither May nor Pac wanted to fight Williams, but I don’t believe there has ever been talk about Martinez fighting one of them. Isn’t he cutting a shit-load of weight right now to fight Paul? Some said he entered camp at over 200?

And I think anyone else around middleweight would give an arm and a leg to fight them. Heck, Cintron wasn’t doing too bad at all before that bizzare ending to his fight with Williams.

I will say that Martinez is going up against the big money in this fight. Paul is being groomed for superstardom. The last thing promoters want is for him to be beaten by a guy who only has a couple of fights left in him.