Packing/Waring a Rucksack

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

Unless a military rucksack is really different from a typical backpack, in which case I’m sure someone will tell me to shut up at any moment :)[/quote]

shut up deb :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

Haha, see, I told you Beast :wink:

I am surprised shoulder pain is expected though.
[/quote]

It most definitely is. Even as I like to ruck for shits and giggles on the weekends, my traps still end up sore as hell. I love the feeling though. Just reminds me that I’ve done something. Again, OP, hit us with your physical stats, take pics, and give us more info of when you’re joining. Also, you don’t usually ruck until the final two weeks of basic. At least that’s what happened for me back in '98. They might have changed it up a bit nowadays.
What MOS are you going for anyhow?

[quote]skimmy_jimmy wrote:
Sorry everyone, I should have been more specific. I am using a large Alice pack. Picked it up at the Army Surplus store for like $40. It has shoulder straps, chest strap, waist strap, and the ones on the shoulder straps that you pull to adjust the load (I will put up pics tonight of the bag and me wearing it)

As far as my routine goes for getting in shape, I have been following Sealfit.com It has been great, I absolutely love it. I am joining the Army, actually ship 9/13, and have really been thinking about trying for SF on and off.

You guys are probably right, my body probably just isn’t used to doing that kind of work. On top of that, my traps/shoulders are always sore from the WODs I do. But I have to say, from what I have read from other people, there should be more weight sitting on my hips/ass than on my traps and it honestly feels like they are carrying most, if not all, of the load. I will mess around with the adjustments more tonight, and as I said I will get some pics up as well. Thank you guys for your time, it is appreciated![/quote]

MOS?

14E, PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator. I’m sure I’ll catch all sorts of shit for that one :slight_smile:

Here’s one tip- “wear” has an “e” in it.

Good job for conditioning the right way.

After humping an ALICE pack w/ a PRC-77 radio from ridge line to ridge line in Korea (2 Team Spirits) I strongly suggest the frame that fits very nicely in the padding. The frame should come with a belt which distributes the waste onto your hips.

Otherwise, find an MOS that is more vehicle centric.

Thanks Irish, I’m aware of the spelling… my typing just sucks sometimes

And TooLate: My MOS, from what I understand, is really pretty laxed and kushy. I’m really only doing the rucksacking because SealFit calls for it on certain days, I want to be somewhat prepared for when we do it at basic, and just in case I try to volunteer for RIP/Airborne.

And TooLate: My MOS, from what I understand, is really pretty laxed and kushy. I’m really only doing the rucksacking because SealFit calls for it on certain days, I want to be somewhat prepared for when we do it at basic, and just in case I try to volunteer for RIP/Airborne.[/quote]

lol @ airborne qual’ed 14e volunteering for rip

Why the hell not? I did say TRY to volunteer.

And TooLate: My MOS, from what I understand, is really pretty laxed and kushy. I’m really only doing the rucksacking because SealFit calls for it on certain days, I want to be somewhat prepared for when we do it at basic, and just in case I try to volunteer for RIP/Airborne.[/quote]

lol @ airborne qual’ed 14e volunteering for rip[/quote]

C’mon Mac. Everybody’s SF in the beginning.

Why the hell not? I did say TRY to volunteer.[/quote]

I think the laughter comes from there is no Airborne Patriot Battery. And Ranger slots are so fought over; the chance of someone in a non-infantry MOS / not assigned to Ranger Battalion getting a slot just wont happen.

Back in basic I was pretty tiny, about 130-135 on a day to day basis. Rucking was pretty difficult but near the end I modified my pack and it seemed to help immensely. I took the pouch completely off the frame and moved it up about 2 spaces on the frame and was able to stand upright (before i was hunched over cuz standing up straight would of caused me to fall backwards). Not sure exactly of “why” this helped but there’s some good information from more experienced guys in here. Hope that helped.

Why the hell not? I did say TRY to volunteer.[/quote]

sorry, wasn’t attacking you as a soldier personally.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

Depending on which branch you join, you may or may not get better packs for hiking than you’re using now.

[/quote]

for example, you could go join the usmc and be given a hefty bag and some 100mph tape and told to go eff off.

right hungry? lol[/quote]

Exactly. And some boot bands. Electrical tape+boot bands>duct tape.

Exactly. And some boot bands. Electrical tape+boot bands>duct tape. [/quote]

x2

14e??? Rucksacks??? SF??? RIP??? HAHAHAHAHA. Seriously though, I’m a 14A (yeah, yeah, yeah, I was an 11B when I was enlisted, so at one point I did have a real job). Learn how to make a good cup of coffee… keep a lot of books handy… OR, change your MOS. Normally I wouldn’t give the advice to getting another MOS to anyone, but if you’re on here, DEFINITELY get another MOS. Going into a 14 series job will drive you to homicide/suicide. But regardless, good luck

[quote]Ski_USMC wrote:

Exactly. And some boot bands. Electrical tape+boot bands>duct tape. [/quote]

x2[/quote]
x3 The electrical tape is good for taping up the holes in them, so all your gear isn’t UA upon arrival

Edit: H4M, isn’t that how you fix 90% of the gripes that get written up?

Can any of you guys post links to packs I should buy for humps.

Are the hiking packs with frames from Dicks any good?

I also have a Army/Navy surplus store near me but I feel like their packs are expensive.

Thanks.

[quote]ANIMAL M0THER wrote:

I also have a Army/Navy surplus store near me but I feel like their packs are expensive.

Thanks.[/quote]

an ‘old school’ alice pack, with a decent kidney strap and blackhawk shoulder straps can be picked up for dirt cheap and is pretty comfy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280619327236

http://www.rstacticalgear.com/pd_blackhawks.cfm

[quote]ANIMAL M0THER wrote:

Thanks.[/quote]

an ‘old school’ alice pack, with a decent kidney strap and blackhawk shoulder straps can be picked up for dirt cheap and is pretty comfy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280619327236

http://www.rstacticalgear.com/pd_blackhawks.cfm[/quote]

Thanks man.

I was looking at the Alice packs the other day. How much would you say is a good price on them?

Since this thread has lazardus’d; Shift the weight around as you hike, and you start feeling fatigue. Start with it on the hips, when they get tired, tighten up the shoulders, when they tire, shift it forward to the chest, then back to the hips.