T Nation

Pacers Prime Time Tuesday

Ok, so the last time I was on Prime Time and the Pacers were on, they won. Maybe you guys showed them some extra love, so whatever you did do it again so they can WIN!

On a more serious note, feel free to stockpile the questions here and I’ll answer them tonight on PT!

Stay strong
MR

Thanks for all your great info, HOWEVER, GO PISTONS

Just wondering what sort of ‘split’ you would use for training someone who’s into martial arts (judo and striking arts) who only has 3 days for lifting a week. In my case I can never decide between 3 whole body workouts, 1 upper, 1 lower and 1 explosive or what.

I also get mixed signals regarding frequency. How often should a lift or movement be performed per week when seeking strength and power above all? Some coaches say do low volume almost daily while others say a couple of times a week is sufficient. What kind of movements would you stress? Thanks

Brad

Say maximizing your VJ in 12 weeks is your main goal…what would be best to mantain your current level of conditioning…

would doing say Day 1…basically max effort for weights…and day 2 plyos do it…

you wolud mesure your VJ every day after a light warm up…maybe 3 tries max so its not a workout…and when you increase it a bit even by .5 inches your ready for your next training sesion…

so something like

mon day 1
tue vert -2in no training
wed vert -1 no training
thu ver +.5
fri ver +1 train again

etc…

Hello:

The Pacers need Artest to win the series. Anyways I was wondering what modifications would you make in your Quest for Size and Strength for an older and andvanced lifter.Thanks

MR- any special hints or suggestions for improving VO2 max?

Ok the Pacers aren’t playing so hot; the least I can do is answer questions for a few hours. Fire away!

Stay strong
MR

Why not mix it up? I would do a four week cycle of total body, then four weeks of an upper/lower split, and you could even do four weeks of a more BB’ing style split.

As far as the frequency of training, it’s totally dependent on what you are used to and what you can tolerate. Most powerlifters would die if they squatted more tan 2x/week, while some O-lifters squats 4+ times per week.

For your sport, I wouldn’t even mess with a lot of ancillary work; focus on the big lifts and you should do just fine.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]BradS wrote:
Just wondering what sort of ‘split’ you would use for training someone who’s into martial arts (judo and striking arts) who only has 3 days for lifting a week. In my case I can never decide between 3 whole body workouts, 1 upper, 1 lower and 1 explosive or what.

I also get mixed signals regarding frequency. How often should a lift or movement be performed per week when seeking strength and power above all? Some coaches say do low volume almost daily while others say a couple of times a week is sufficient. What kind of movements would you stress? Thanks

Brad[/quote]

I’ve discussed this several times in other threads; to make a long story short, it totally depends on the current strength/power/stretch shortening cycle capabilities of the athlete. Someone who is very strong but lacks explosiveness would need to focus on maintaining strength and performing lots of plyos/SSC exercises. Someone who is very weak but explosive will need to focus on simply getting stronger to improve their vertical.

I know that Al Vermeil used to use the system of “testing” athletes daily to see if they would train or not, but I doubt someone other than an elite athlete would really need to worry too much about that.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]sagomed wrote:
Say maximizing your VJ in 12 weeks is your main goal…what would be best to mantain your current level of conditioning…

would doing say Day 1…basically max effort for weights…and day 2 plyos do it…

you wolud mesure your VJ every day after a light warm up…maybe 3 tries max so its not a workout…and when you increase it a bit even by .5 inches your ready for your next training sesion…

so something like

mon day 1
tue vert -2in no training
wed vert -1 no training
thu ver +.5
fri ver +1 train again

etc…

[/quote]

I, unfortunately, agree. I hope they won’t do anything rash over the off-season and get rid of him; there’s no way they’ll get fair market value for the guy. How rare is it to see an All-star caliber player making 4 million per year?

As far as that program, the biggest drawback is that it’s a cookie-cutter program. If you are a little older you might want to cut back the volume a little bit, or possibly drop an exercise that you don’t need as much. Other than that, I wouldn’t change much.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]deshawn wrote:
Hello:

The Pacers need Artest to win the series. Anyways I was wondering what modifications would you make in your Quest for Size and Strength for an older and andvanced lifter.Thanks[/quote]

Just make sure to periodize your training like you would weights; do some short duration, high intensity stuff, mixed with periods of longer duration, lower intensity.

Too many endurance athletes perform too much pure endurance work and wonder why their progress stagnates.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]bigpump23 wrote:
MR- any special hints or suggestions for improving VO2 max?[/quote]

Hey Mike,

When I squat, my knees tend to push inward(squeeze closer to one another) to finish the lift. Also, when I stand straight up, my toes are pointed outward very slightly. Not quite 11 and 1,but maybe 11:30 and 12:30. Also, my right foot points out more than the left. My right ankle is a little less flexible from an injury a while back. Any tips on how to fix these little problems?

Thanks,
-poper

Sounds like your hip extensors/external rotators (basically all your glute muscles) need to be strengthened. Eric and I put together a ton of exercises in our “Get Your Butt in Gear Series.”

Without being able to work with you in person, it sounds as though you have weak glutes and some sort of unilateral discrepancy on the right side. Beyond the article listed above, check out EC and I’s “Neanderthal No More” series for a self-evaluation and program to help alleviate some of these postural issues. Good luck!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]poper wrote:
Hey Mike,

When I squat, my knees tend to push inward(squeeze closer to one another) to finish the lift. Also, when I stand straight up, my toes are pointed outward very slightly. Not quite 11 and 1,but maybe 11:30 and 12:30. Also, my right foot points out more than the left. My right ankle is a little less flexible from an injury a while back. Any tips on how to fix these little problems?

Thanks,
-poper[/quote]

Thanks Mike,

I actually started using a lot of the dynamic stretching and static stretches after I finish the workouts. They seem to be helping with hip mobility. All of my lifts are going up, so thats a great thing.

Thanks
-poper

Sounds good bro. Keep up the good work!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]poper wrote:
Thanks Mike,

I actually started using a lot of the dynamic stretching and static stretches after I finish the workouts. They seem to be helping with hip mobility. All of my lifts are going up, so thats a great thing.

Thanks
-poper[/quote]

Ok people, after yet another Pacers loss it’s time for me to sign off. I’ll be on from 8-10 EST tomorrow night to field more questions!

Stay strong
MR