T Nation

Pa. Judges Accused of Jailing Kids for Cash

WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - For years, the juvenile court system in Wilkes-Barre operated like a conveyor belt: Youngsters were brought before judges without a lawyer, given hearings that lasted only a minute or two, and then sent off to juvenile prison for months for minor offenses.

The explanation, prosecutors say, was corruption on the bench.

In one of the most shocking cases of courtroom graft on record, two Pennsylvania judges have been charged with taking millions of dollars in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29142654/

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

none of it is surprising

…this is interesting: http://filipspagnoli.wordpress.com/stats-on-human-rights/statistics-on-corruption/ …and scroll down for the good stuff…

…inspite of the US being outside of the top 10 of nations that has [is perceived to have] the least amount of corruption, if you look at the statistics of measures installed in aid of fighting corruption, the US is one of the strongest nations…

…when, a couple of years ago, a large cement-production fraude was uncovered in Holland, the main culprite was allowed to buy off his sentence with a million euro fine, and went on his merry way. It was therefore good to see, for once, that that Enron guy got 25 years for large scale embezzlement…

…we still see class-justice now and again here, and it’s annoying, to put it mildly. The fucked up part is that a whistleblower isn’t protected from the bad guys, and that makes people wary, and so the assholes continue to do what they want…

[quote]Chushin wrote:
European Council Decries Corruption in Austria
18 December 2008

The Group of States against Corruption (GRECO) said December 19 that corruption was common in Austria and legal measures against it were still in the early stages, according to a spokesman and a report presented in Strasbourg. In the construction business, in political life and in public administration, such practices were common occurrences, said a spokesman for GRECO, which was founded by the Council of Europe.

http://www.neurope.eu/articles/91197.php[/quote]

12th least corrupt country in the world?

Those fuckers have no idea.

They just do not understand how we roll-

Imprisoning kids for money however is not how we roll.

[quote]orion wrote:
Chushin wrote:
18 December 2008

The Group of States against Corruption (GRECO) said December 19 that corruption was common in Austria and legal measures against it were still in the early stages, according to a spokesman and a report presented in Strasbourg. In the construction business, in political life and in public administration, such practices were common occurrences, said a spokesman for GRECO, which was founded by the Council of Europe.

http://www.neurope.eu/articles/91197.php

[/quote]
I live in this area, and the problem was them funneling kids into these programs due to bribes, not whether they were innocent or had excessively harsh sentences. No where did I see anything about unfair imprisonment.

That being said, many juveniles are total scumbags. A good friend works at one of these bad boys juvenile detention places and some of these kids are very hard core offenders. Sex offenders, murderers, robbery, etc. the kids are grouped in different areas with what they did and what they need.

Don’t believe everything you read in the paper, especially once the news filters out to the national or international media.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
orion wrote:
Chushin wrote:
18 December 2008

I live in this area, and the problem was them funneling kids into these programs due to bribes, not whether they were innocent or had excessively harsh sentences. No where did I see anything about unfair imprisonment.

That being said, many juveniles are total scumbags. A good friend works at one of these bad boys juvenile detention places and some of these kids are very hard core offenders. Sex offenders, murderers, robbery, etc. the kids are grouped in different areas with what they did and what they need.

Don’t believe everything you read in the paper, especially once the news filters out to the national or international media.

[/quote]

"The high court, meanwhile, is looking into whether hundreds or even thousands of sentences should be overturned and the juveniles? records expunged.

Among the offenders were teenagers who were locked up for months for stealing loose change from cars, writing a prank note and possessing drug paraphernalia. Many had never been in trouble before. Some were imprisoned even after probation officers recommended against it. "

Did you even read the article?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
tom63 wrote:
orion wrote:
Chushin wrote:
18 December 2008

"The high court, meanwhile, is looking into whether hundreds or even thousands of sentences should be overturned and the juveniles? records expunged.

Among the offenders were teenagers who were locked up for months for stealing loose change from cars, writing a prank note and possessing drug paraphernalia. Many had never been in trouble before. Some were imprisoned even after probation officers recommended against it. "

Did you even read the article?[/quote]

I live in Scranton, and the article is complete bull. Didn’t you learn anything about msnbc from the elections. Not trying to sound condescending.

It is trying to build empathy for many of the teenagers, wilkes barre has turned into a drug infested and wanna be gang members crap hole.

I live in that county and it’s got to be one of the most corrupt in the nation. A week after the inditement, another county offical was arrested for embezzlement, and I’m sure there’s more to come as the investigations continue.

As far as the kids go, the juvenile cases brought before these judges are being reviewed.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
tom63 wrote:
orion wrote:
Chushin wrote:
18 December 2008

Did you even read the article?[/quote]

This is an MSNBC article, not local news or the local papers. they haven’t made that connection. do you live in NEPA? I do and the crux of this scandal has not been focused on the kids.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
DoubleDuce wrote:
tom63 wrote:
orion wrote:
Chushin wrote:
18 December 2008

Did you even read the article?

I live in Scranton, and the article is complete bull. Didn’t you learn anything about msnbc from the elections. Not trying to sound condescending.

It is trying to build empathy for many of the teenagers, wilkes barre has turned into a drug infested and wanna be gang members crap hole.

[/quote]

Yep, like the other guy said, there is plenty of corruption, but the question of whether or not these kids did this has not been raised. From knowing people who work with juveniles in the detention system, very few are good kids.

Yeah I live in NEPA, have most of my life, and it just keeps going downhill. Started when they started moving people in from philly and new york, got even worse when they brought up the hoodlums from Katrina gave them money and a free place to live.

Not to say some people didn’t need the help but it was like they took every criminal and gang member and threw them in our area.

I have worked with Juvies during college and a couple of my friends work with them or have moved on to be corrections officers, and yes most of them definitely need to be in there.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
Yeah I live in NEPA, have most of my life, and it just keeps going downhill. Started when they started moving people in from philly and new york, got even worse when they brought up the hoodlums from Katrina gave them money and a free place to live.

Not to say some people didn’t need the help but it was like they took every criminal and gang member and threw them in our area.

I have worked with Juvies during college and a couple of my friends work with them or have moved on to be corrections officers, and yes most of them definitely need to be in there. [/quote]

agreed. There was a time when I was not as fearful of my day to day safety. It still is pretty decent around here safety wise, but has gone downhill for the reasons you stated.

Oh yeah, it isn’t horrbile just headed in the wrong direction.

[quote]apbt55 wrote:
Oh yeah, it isn’t horrbile just headed in the wrong direction.

[/quote]

True, about ten years ago I left my chiropractic office in Shenanodah, Pa. and walked up the street to get a slice of pizza on a beautiful friday afternoon in june. I saw a car parked to close to the light with a car behind them. A young girl was a teenage girl leaning in the car window.

The car behind beeped so she responded with, " Shut your fucking mouth, I didn’t get the fucking shit yet!" This was in broad daylight, app. 5 pm in public. Now explain why I just can’t shoot all of them and get some reward.

It’s not like they’re going to cure cancer or invent some kind of renewable clean energy source.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Chushin wrote:
tom63 wrote:
apbt55 wrote:

I have worked with Juvies during college and a couple of my friends work with them or have moved on to be corrections officers, and yes most of them definitely need to be in there.

agreed. There was a time when I was not as fearful of my day to day safety. It still is pretty decent around here safety wise, but has gone downhill for the reasons you stated.

I wonder if the OP’s experience in NE PA is similiar…

Oh wait; he’s never even been to the US. He just likes to find fault with it.

Maybe someday he’ll start threads about problems in HIS country?

Nah…[/quote]

True, funny how a few of is seem to hear something different when we actually live in the area.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[/quote]

Says who?

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Chushin wrote:
tom63 wrote:
apbt55 wrote:

Maybe someday he’ll start threads about problems in HIS country?

Nah…

True, funny how a few of is seem to hear something different when we actually live in the area.

[/quote]

I totally get you.

Throwing people into cages for money is a-ok ,because you do not like the consumer choices and manners of other people of that age group.

You know, where I live, corrupt judges are a pretty big deal.

no I don’t like gang banger rapist, living in my neighboorhood.

Yes corrupt judges is a big deal, but now we have these idiots trying to put more crime and drugs back on the street.