P90x Style Routine, Have I Given Him Bad Advice?

Hey T-Nation, could use some of your guys takes on this version of a p90x style workout I created for my cousin.

He just wants to get what Body-building folks would call skinny ripped, he has a VKRDP station, 2-21kg adjustable dumbbells, bench and Olympic Barbell with 35kg s of plated and 12kg Kettle bells.

Here is the routine I wrote for him, He has done it a week along with his boxing and cardio and says he has lost 1.5 % body fat and enjoys it, but I am worried I have given him terrible advice and will end up putting him off gym work.

Each exercise is repeated 3 times 1 set at a time then repeat the list then repeat again making a whole of 3 sets per exercise

Each set is to faliure

M

Press-ups
Pull-ups
Kettle bell push press
One arm kettle bell clean and jerk
Double kettle bell snatch
Dips
Resistance bands lateral raises
Decline sit-ups

T

Press-ups
Kettle bell squats
Chin-ups
Dumbbell bench press
Barbell rows
Dead lifts
Decline sit-ups

W

Press-ups
Turkish get ups
Alternating renegade rows
Kettle bell sumo high pulls
Dumbbell squats
Shrugs
Decline sit-ups

T

Press-ups
Pull-ups
Barbell front raises
Dips
Barbell Olympic cleans
Dumbbell seated tricep extensions
Decline sit-ups

F

Bodyweight squats
Dumbbell calf raises
Press-ups
Decline sit-ups
Seated shoulder flies
Barbell bench press
Chin-ups

All done with low weight high volume

sounds like you have given him his first steps towards crossfit. Not a terrible thing I guess. Just depends on his goals.

Diet’s going to play the biggest role in getting him “skinny ripped.” Get him eating Paleo.

I have given him a keto diet plan, but it is a bit higher in carbs than most, I have put 50 carbs as his limit as opposed to 20 like on the Atkins, however the carbs have to be from greens and a little fruit, no bread, no milk.

[quote]Reed wrote:
sounds like you have given him his first steps towards crossfit. Not a terrible thing I guess. Just depends on his goals.[/quote]

His only motivation is pussy so I thought it is probably pointless giving him some mass building routine, he just wants the abs and toned body look.

He also started intermittent fasting apparently, we will see how long that lasts :slight_smile:

BonnotGang- I wouldnt worry about it man most guys espeacially younger guys who dont have a serious goal usually flame out in a couple of months any way… but with that as said above no program you give him is going to make him skinny ripped thats going to have to do alot more with the diet he follows.

Paleo is a good decision or carb cycling which I advocate to any one who asks works perfect for me. Intermittent Fasting I have not read much on as there is no way in hell I would ever deny my self food ( me and food have been friends for as long as I can remember) but what ever floats his boat I quess but, being a boxer and following semi crossfitish program I would not follow it.

I train alot of types of martial arts, boxing being one of them. Like everyone else said, diet is the most important here. If someone in his position asked me a similar question, my advice would be go to the boxing gym 4-6 times a week, eat paleo, and lift weights twice a week. I have seen many boxers/fighters follow a routine like this with great success.

[quote]BonnotGang wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
sounds like you have given him his first steps towards crossfit. Not a terrible thing I guess. Just depends on his goals.[/quote]

His only motivation is pussy so I thought it is probably pointless giving him some mass building routine, he just wants the abs and toned body look.

He also started intermittent fasting apparently, we will see how long that lasts :)[/quote]

Well then he’s going for the wrong body type! Girls get with men who can throw them around with CONFIDENCE. Any guy who’s looking to be “toned” (this word literally has zero meaning) is not getting any. Period.

Tell him to man the fuck up and train like a man or stop wasting your time.

[quote]BonnotGang wrote:
I have given him a keto diet plan, but it is a bit higher in carbs than most, I have put 50 carbs as his limit as opposed to 20 like on the Atkins, however the carbs have to be from greens and a little fruit, no bread, no milk.[/quote]

Well, that’s not keto then. 50g carbs will not put him in ketosis, especially when I imagine he probably only weighs 130 lbs.

I think he is about 170, that’s where I must of being going wrong too, I have been trying to fuck girls, not impress them with my manhandling abilities :smiley:

Everything about this is a horrible fucking idea.

I kind of want him to snap his shit up… He got me in a leg lock at the caravan, I go deep with my grudges, I might tell him to do dead lifts and remember to lift in a jerking twisting motion. GO ULTRA HEAVY!

This is utter trash. The whole thing is.

I like your avatar, I have a thing for homo erotic beta pictures Xx

[quote]BonnotGang wrote:
I like your avatar, I have a thing for homo erotic beta pictures Xx[/quote]

LOLOLO

What the f is with that avatar?

Given your cousin’s goal, and that he is already boxing and doing cardio, it may not be necessary for him to train with weights five days a week. As previously stated diet should be his main concern, and your cousin can probably get the results he wants by doing the Meltdown Training series by Don Alessi, or a similar program. The first Meltdown Training would have him working out twice a week, but depending on his level of conditioning this might be preferable to what you have him on.

The reason being is that at a caloric deficit, a higher volume and higher frequency program where every set is done “to failure” could impede recovery. If anything will put your cousin off of gym work, it will be be burning out.