P90X Has to be a Joke.. Doesn't It?

Hey fellas. In my office there are a few older guys contstantly talking about how difficult the P90X program is. I don’t know much about it nor have I done my homework and reseacrh, but I have to think that this is a joke.

Does anyone have any experience with this? This may already be a topic somewhere but I wanted to get some fresh reviews on this.

Thanks.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/anyone_try_p90x

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/what_do_you_think_about_p90x

Try using the search function.

Got it thanks.

It’s a bit like Crossfit or Waterbury’s HBT. If you’re quite out of shape, it gives a good (relative term) base in cardio/range of motion & diet.

It’s the first infomercial program that seems to stress working hard, ie: lots of real pull-ups & diet control, as the keys to success. instead of the sit on your ass & shape up while watching “The King of Queens”

If you are interested, I’d recommend looking at Craigslist or the classifieds for a set instead of going through their overseas distributer. (way cheaper, & less ‘errors’ on your credit cards)

If you are the type who prefers lifting Big ole weights for limited reps, (not that there is ANYthing wrong with that) the program is probably of limited appeal.

The program says it helps “muscle confusion”.

I did watch some of the videos to see what the fuss was all about. I have been doing one of their routines, AB Ripper X, for about 3 months now. Its not bad at all… But for the rest of the program, I can’t say.

You can youtube “P90X results”, and people post their 90 day results.

My uncle is a friend of Tony Horton. If you ever see the late night P90X infomercial he’s the gay guy with the bandana lol. I actually worked out with their group out in Santa Monica (this was a couple years before I started lifting).

Now, my uncle did get shredded. But I imagine his diet was pretty healthy and he was probably 150 lbs soaking wet. Maybe the individual sessions could be used for energy systems work. Beyond that, it has no relevance to the pursuit of muscle.

Waterbury’s HBT? Did you mean HFT? Its nothing like p90x you might want to reread some stuff if thats what you meant.

His HFT works you up to two a day training lifting big ole weights in the am and lighter weights in the pm.

[quote]mtd25 wrote:
Waterbury’s HBT? Did you mean HFT? Its nothing like p90x you might want to reread some stuff if thats what you meant.

His HFT works you up to two a day training lifting big ole weights in the am and lighter weights in the pm.[/quote]

No, I had meant the way CW’s HBT V-Diet style emphasizes higher reps/more sets/less rest using circuts/supersets & therefore necessitates using slightly lighter weights to “Feel the Burn”.

Edit: I’m mid V-Diet now, and dug out the p90x stretching DVD & the Yoga one for my NEPA days. HowTF is Yoga kicking my Ass?

One of my old teammates did it, he was big before with too much bf. Looks great now.

its a bit of what happens when you dont work out and do practically ANYTHING weight related and a lot of ghey marketing.

its promising results that arent absurdly difficult to obtain, so does it work? yea i guess it does. but i could put a dumb bell and pushup workout on DVD and out of shape people would make progress too.

to summarize, if you want to be better than average go for it. if you want to be great and a spectacle of awe, then dont.

It may be a little cheesy, but lets bottom line it.

People are taught to bust their ass.
They are lifting weights.
They clean up their diets.

I say that makes it a decent “program” for the general population. But, it certainly isn’t for a bodybuilder looking to pack on muscle.

All in all, I say it is a step in the right direction; it kicks the shit out of step aerobics.

[quote]tsmalley wrote:
Hey fellas. In my office there are a few older guys contstantly talking about how difficult the P90X program is. I don’t know much about it nor have I done my homework and reseacrh, but I have to think that this is a joke.

Does anyone have any experience with this? This may already be a topic somewhere but I wanted to get some fresh reviews on this.

Thanks. [/quote]

No, P90X is not a joke.

P90X is like any other program, it is goal specific. If you are a power lifter, P90X is not going to assist you in achieving your goals. If you are an elite BB then P90X…‘as written’ is not going to help you achieve your goals (however, with modification it CAN be a very effective program for an advanced BB). If however a person is ‘Joe Average’ or ‘Joe Couch Potatoe’ then P90X can get you WELL above average as written.

Look at the program; the lifting part starts out as chest/back, shoulder/arms, legs/back. Not a bad split. It has lots of sound exercises such as chins, pull up, lunges etc. The other days such as Yoga X, Plyometrics, Core Synergistics etc have lots of full body movements. It has warm ups, cool downs, stretches and lots of stuff most people have never done.

And if you put your sweat equity into it…it’s damn hard and yields excellent results if your goal is loss of BF and the gain of some lean muscle mass and increased energy. If you half-ass it then you get out of it what you’ve put into it. Just like any other program.

Nothing really new or revolutionary…just hard work that has been put into a system for you with a sound, clean diet.

Looking at the before/after photos of Mr. and Mrs. Real Person on their discussion board I have to say that when the effort is put into the program the results are excellent.

Some people have their own motivation, others need help in that area. Either way the point is to get off the couch and getting it done. If P90X helps someone accomplish this then great. If a program here on T-Nation does the same thing then great. The source material isn’t as important as putting the time and effort in.

I have the program, I’ve used the program, I’ve modified the program to meet my individual needs, I insert parts of the program in the program I’m doing now and I learned a few good things along the line. More importantly, I’ve seen positive results from the program as well as the modifications and inserts. It has been just one more useful tool to move me towards my goal of competing next year. To me that is a win-win.

Is this thread a joke?

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Is this thread a joke?
[/quote]

Absolutely.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
It may be a little cheesy, but lets bottom line it.

People are taught to bust their ass.
They are lifting weights.
They clean up their diets.

I say that makes it a decent “program” for the general population. But, it certainly isn’t for a bodybuilder looking to pack on muscle.

All in all, I say it is a step in the right direction; it kicks the shit out of step aerobics.[/quote]

Never thought I’d say this, but well put Zag.

I never even heard of it.

Let’s put it this way by induction:

P1) The best program is the one you’re not on.
P2) The average person starting P90X hasn’t been on any real program, if at all

C1) P90X is one of the best programs for those who’ve never been on a program, let alone worked out.

I just started P91X !!!

Totally getting a ripped 7 pack!!!