T Nation

P90X Anyone?

Just ordered P90X to try and improve bodyweight exercise performance through a structured routine and hopefully gain 10 lbs of muscle by the end of the program. Any advice on lifts I could combine with the program to assist in gaining mass.

Should I use compound lifts such as dead lifts, squats, bench, etc… and what sets and rep combinations on what days. If anyone is familiar with the program and can suggest a good lifting routine to be paired with the different days in p90x I would appreciate it.

“Mass gaining” as you put it, is achieved through diet primarily. P90x is VERY limited int he amount of muscle it can put on a person, but it will do your cardiovascular health good. I suggest you re-post this in the Conditioning forum.

I found the P90 quite good in Call of Duty (can’t remember which one)…I think our military friends could attest to its real life ability. The TV show Stargate used the P90 quite alot, so yeah, I suppose if someone was holding one nearby your exercise performance could improve quite alot…

[quote]GluteusGigantis wrote:
I suppose if someone was holding one nearby your exercise performance could improve quite alot… [/quote]

Lol you just might be on to something. “In Soviet Russia, workout kills you!”

As a complete newb, you would gain mass better by leaving P90X alone for now and getting on a lifting routine that works your whole body. I know the commercials say that its great for mass building, and a completely untrained person will gain some muscle fullness just from the increase in activity, but P90X is a fat loss and conditioning program.

I gained 20lbs of lean mass in my first three months of lifting using Starting Strength and a clean, but massive, diet. Add some isolation for the bodyparts that aren’t worked using the program, I don’t give a shit what Coach Rip says.

[quote]dAN05112010 wrote:
Just ordered P90X to try and improve bodyweight exercise performance through a structured routine [/quote]

Maybe its just me but I don’t understand what you’re trying to improve here. From watching the infomercial every saturday morning for months I know its six days a week at a hour each session so unless you have enough time in your day for another training session I don’t see how you can add anymore lifts to it. Why not just work through the 90 days, drop some weight and then decide where to go next?

P90x is for overweight people looking to get into shape so they can begin bodybuilding.

OR

It for people in OK shape looking to lean up a bit AND are not interested in bodybuilding.

It’s possible to gain mass while on p90x but that is not what the program is for. It would be one of the worst ‘program’ choices for mass gain.

If you want to add 10 pounds just eat a bit more than maintenance calories, lift progressively heavier weights while on a well rounded routine (one that covers all muscle groups) and do SOME cardio.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
P90x is for overweight people looking to get into shape so they can begin bodybuilding.

OR

It for people in OK shape looking to lean up a bit AND are not interested in bodybuilding.

It’s possible to gain mass while on p90x but that is not what the program is for. It would be one of the worst ‘program’ choices for mass gain.

If you want to add 10 pounds just eat a bit more than maintenance calories, lift progressively heavier weights while on a well rounded routine (one that covers all muscle groups) and do SOME cardio. [/quote]

This^