P+F & P+C Question

I have a couple questions reguarding P+F and P+C meals.

1. Is it OK to eat 1-2Tbsp of natural peanut butter with my morning oatmeal, P+C meal?

2. Is it OK to eat fruit, ie banana or apple, with a P+F meal?

I love peanut butter! I’m having a hard time understanding where some foods such as PB fit into the mix. I know PB by it self would be considered P+F, but other than mixing it with a protein drink or eating it by itself, every other instance I can think of eating it involes carbs. One of my favorite snacks is PB and Banana. Is this a no,no? Would it be considered a P+F+C meal? Same with oatmeal. Love to mix PB and Banana with it. Is that a P+F+C meal or is the amount of fat in a Tbsp of PB not a big deal?

I’m know I’m not getting fat by doing this but I’m just trying to fine tune my diet.

Hey Chief,

I love peanut butter too!! For my P+F meals I drink a protein shake and have peanut butter on some celery sticks. The celery is a fiberous carb, so you don’t have to worry about excessive carbs, especially towards the latter part of the day.
“Sancho”

sancho:

Damn good idea for a P+F meal! (Almond butter works well too…)

I think that we sometimes forget that for a P+F meal you IDEALLY should consume less than 10grams of carbs (and that would be a LOT of celery!) and for a P+C meal, less than 5 grams of fat…

Mufasa

I think you guys are taking this way too far. It doesnt have to be that complicated.

[quote]Totoroski wrote:
I think you guys are taking this way too far. It doesnt have to be that complicated.[/quote]

Well why don’t you explain it to all of us then, because I would have said the same exact thing as Mufasa.

RIT Jared

Like anything else in Life, food combining becomes second nature when you do it enough…

Mufasa

Thanks guys for your replies! I love celery and peanut butter too and totally forgot about that. Thanks Sancho!

Can someone answer my question though in requards to P+F and fruit and PB and oatmeal?

Totoroski,

WTF? I’m trying to learn here. If I knew how to make it so simple I wouldn’t be asking questions. If my question is too “complicated” for you to answer then don’t comment. If it isn’t then answer it please.

[quote]RIT Jared wrote:
Totoroski wrote:
I think you guys are taking this way too far. It doesnt have to be that complicated.

Well why don’t you explain it to all of us then, because I would have said the same exact thing as Mufasa.

RIT Jared[/quote]

Totoroski does have a point. The idea behind excluding carbs and fat in the same meal is to minimize high insulin levels in the presence of fat thus reducing fat storage. The problem is that the 5g fat/10g carb numbers given do not take into account glycemic/insulin index and calories of the various foods.

Take it from a diabetic - all food consumed in sufficient quantity will eventually raise blood sugar which in turn will raise insulin which in turn will promote storage (as fat if levels are high enough).

Thirty grams of fructose/lactose mixed in with 500+ calories of proteins and fats is not going to drastically change your insulin response over a 10g serving.

On the other hand 30g vs 10g of dextrose or maltodextrin in a much smaller meal will change things.

I agree 100% with Nitrox…

The glycemic index/glycemic “load” has to be considered also…

As you look at the JB’s recommendations and those of Dr. Sear’s (of “Zone” fame), they always recommend that one chooses low glycemic index carbs…but that if one chooses much higher ones, the AMOUNTS (in grams) go down significantly.

Here is an excellent guide by Dr. Sears that I keep bookmarked:

http://www.drsears.com/drsearspages/understandcarbs.jsp

Again…the more one makes something a regular part of their Life…the easier it becomes…

Hope this helps!

Mufasa

Just to address one other important point nitrox brought up…

Many of these authors ALSO recommend limiting your total caloric intake PER MEAL to 500cals or less (which is FAIRLY easy when eating several small meals per day) IN ADDITION to paying careful attention to the GI/Glycemic load…

It’s all about insulin control…

Mufasa