T Nation

P+F or P+C At Night

I understand how P+C helps gain weight quicker than P+F at bedtime meal (9pm), but does one gain the muscle at the same pace regardless of the route chosen?
Let’s say my workout was at 5pm.

If I eat the P+C at night, will I just accumalate unnecessary fat as opposed to P+F?

Thanks T-Nation

[quote]tzoley wrote:
I understand how P+C helps gain weight quicker than P+F at bedtime meal (9pm), but does one gain the muscle at the same pace regardless of the route chosen?
Let’s say my workout was at 5pm.

If I eat the P+C at night, will I just accumalate unnecessary fat as opposed to P+F?

Thanks T-Nation[/quote]

I wouldn’t even try to get any exact numbers out of diet specifics; metabolism is far too complex for that, in my opinion.

GENERALLY SPEAKING, insulin sensitivity is higher in the morning, lower in the evening, hence P+C in morning and P+F at night. Following these guidelines, you may be able to eat an extra 300-500 calories a day and still gain the same amount of fat becuase of optimized food timing (a la Berardi Massive Eating.) So that means more muscle, hopefully. Good!

However, working out at 5 puts a big kink in all that, because that will definately increase your insulin sensitivity. So on your workout days, assuming you’re trying to gain muscle, I would have your P+C post workout meal, then an hour or so later have ANOTHER P+C post-post workout meal, and possibly one more P+C meal a couple hours after that, depending on when you go to bed. If you want to, after you get two P+C post workout meals or so, you could try a P+F meal before bed. However, because you’re working out in the evening like that, I think your insulin sensitivity will be high enough to allow you to use P+C all the way up to bedtime.

Of course, workout duration, intensity, all that matters too, but I’d get at least two good P+C meals in there after your workout- thats the time to let loose, while you’re gaining.

Try it out for yourself though, I doubt you’ll get any exact numbers.

Trying to paraphrase Berardi from memory… hope I don’t completely blow it.

If you’re eating 6-8 times per day, your metabolism will be going pretty far into the night, so you shouldn’t think of what you eat at night as “accumulating” as your body will digest it and use it. That said, what you eat before bed can help with setting your body up to metabolize the right things after its done with your dinner and scavenging for energy during the 8 hour fast that is sleep. Eating P+F will better keep your body digesting fat, whereas eating P+C will cause your body to metabolize protein more, which means muscle loss. JB explains this MUCH better in his articles Massive Eating and Massive Eating Reloaded, check those for more details.

Thanks for the replys.

What would then be a good P+F meal and a P+F shake mix? Low-Carb Grow! has almost no fat. Cottage cheese (low fat) doesn’t have much either.

I will check out JB’s stuff.

Thanks

[quote]tzoley wrote:
Thanks for the replys.

What would then be a good P+F meal and a P+F shake mix? Low-Carb Grow! has almost no fat. Cottage cheese (low fat) doesn’t have much either.

I will check out JB’s stuff.

Thanks[/quote]

i simply use Low-Carb Grow! and udo’s oil. also Low-Carb Grow! and plain full fat yogurt is delicious ! it does add some carbs but works for me when i’m not in super strict diet mode.

I use the new Micellar Grow!, a little whey, 2 taplespoons of peanut butter, and enough water to mix everything up while keeping it pretty thick. I usually throw it in the fridge for about an hour or so and then hammer it down. It tastes awesome!! I think TC mentioned this little recipe somewhere before. Anyways, it’s like healthy dessert while giving you quality proteins and fats.

I also take a tablespoon of flax oil on the side, keeping it out of the “shake.”

[quote]The Smaniac wrote:
Trying to paraphrase Berardi from memory… hope I don’t completely blow it.

If you’re eating 6-8 times per day, your metabolism will be going pretty far into the night, so you shouldn’t think of what you eat at night as “accumulating” as your body will digest it and use it. That said, what you eat before bed can help with setting your body up to metabolize the right things after its done with your dinner and scavenging for energy during the 8 hour fast that is sleep. Eating P+F will better keep your body digesting fat, whereas eating P+C will cause your body to metabolize protein more, which means muscle loss. JB explains this MUCH better in his articles Massive Eating and Massive Eating Reloaded, check those for more details. [/quote]

How does Eating P+F better keep your body digesting(burning?) fat, whereas eating P+C will cause your body to metabolize protein more, which means muscle loss?

Do you have a link to this research/article or any further explanation?