P.Diddy: Overrated?

[quote]countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
First off I’ma say that Ready to die is one of the greatest albums of all time in any genre, and if Combs hadn’t found Biggie we wouldn’t have it.

Other than that the guy seems to have no redeeming qualities. I have absolutely no problem with sampling [shit, Pete Rock’s my favorite DJ] but as Wol pointed out he doesn’t sample beats, he steals 'em. He comes across as unbearablly cocky, takes way too much credit for shit he didn’t do and seems like a straight up dick. He plucked Mase from children of the corn but didn’t take Big L and used Biggies death as an oppertunity to further promote himself, and capitalized on the wave that followed and now seems to kind of be out of the public eye.

As far as business minds go he’s got to be at the top of the food chain 'cause the guy has no discernable talent but we’re here talking about what he has [or hasn’t] done and he’s a fucking millionaire a couple of hundred times over. My guess is he’ll hold a press conference soon to announce something no one really cares about to get his name back out there and hit another mini wave before retiring to oversee his clothing empire.

That was a long winded way of saying hell yeah he’s overrated.

That honestly was a very entertaining post…

And I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I’m just waiting for someone to make a “Who’s better, Diddy or Kanye” thread so you can flip your shit again. That was awesome.
[/quote]

Ha, dude if that happens I’ma have to stay away or I’ll have a fuckin’ aneurysm.

P. Diddy is the man…

and no JD, Dre and Diddy are not overrated. Trust me all the money they made if you could just sample a beat and make it you would do it too.

Diddy did not even sample the beats, his “Hit Squad” (DDOT, SEVEN, and a few other now big producers) sampled the beats. Diddy put the exclamation on the music, music is pretty intricate and he made alot of stuff look and sound better. Things you would never notice. Diddy is like the difference between your average $100 speaker and the $4000 reference speakers, but now that music is everywhere and played on intruments with much less quality his usefullness is a lot less relevant.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
First off I’ma say that Ready to die is one of the greatest albums of all time in any genre, and if Combs hadn’t found Biggie we wouldn’t have it.

Other than that the guy seems to have no redeeming qualities. I have absolutely no problem with sampling [shit, Pete Rock’s my favorite DJ] but as Wol pointed out he doesn’t sample beats, he steals 'em. He comes across as unbearablly cocky, takes way too much credit for shit he didn’t do and seems like a straight up dick. He plucked Mase from children of the corn but didn’t take Big L and used Biggies death as an oppertunity to further promote himself, and capitalized on the wave that followed and now seems to kind of be out of the public eye.

As far as business minds go he’s got to be at the top of the food chain 'cause the guy has no discernable talent but we’re here talking about what he has [or hasn’t] done and he’s a fucking millionaire a couple of hundred times over. My guess is he’ll hold a press conference soon to announce something no one really cares about to get his name back out there and hit another mini wave before retiring to oversee his clothing empire.

I’m just waiting for someone to make a “Who’s better, Diddy or Kanye” thread so you can flip your shit again. That was awesome.

Ha, dude if that happens I’ma have to stay away or I’ll have a fuckin’ aneurysm.[/quote]

Whiteflash doesn’t care about black people.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
P. Diddy is the man…

and no JD, Dre and Diddy are not overrated. Trust me all the money they made if you could just sample a beat and make it you would do it too.

Diddy did not even sample the beats, his “Hit Squad” (DDOT, SEVEN, and a few other now big producers) sampled the beats. Diddy put the exclamation on the music, music is pretty intricate and he made alot of stuff look and sound better. Things you would never notice. Diddy is like the difference between your average $100 speaker and the $4000 reference speakers, but now that music is everywhere and played on intruments with much less quality his usefullness is a lot less relevant.[/quote]

Tell me the difference between the songs!

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

Ha, dude if that happens I’ma have to stay away or I’ll have a fuckin’ aneurysm.

Whiteflash doesn’t care about black people.[/quote]

He loves our women and music, though.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
P. Diddy is the man…

Diddy did not even sample the beats, his “Hit Squad” (DDOT, SEVEN, and a few other now big producers) sampled the beats. Diddy put the exclamation on the music, music is pretty intricate and he made alot of stuff look and sound better. Things you would never notice. Diddy is like the difference between your average $100 speaker and the $4000 reference speakers, but now that music is everywhere and played on intruments with much less quality his usefullness is a lot less relevant.[/quote]

I’ma disagree with you truth. Not really a fan of Dre or Dupri but I respect what they’ve done -including Janet Jackson -and recognize that they have talent. Combs only talent appears to be stealing “forgotten” music and peddling it as his own and self promotion. I know that music is an intricate process but Combs was basically the start of what’s wrong with popular music today.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

Whiteflash doesn’t care about black people.[/quote]

But I do love your music and women.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

He loves our women and music, though. [/quote]

Dude, that’s eerie…

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

Dude, that’s eerie…[/quote]

I didn’t see your post at all lol. I just went with my gut feeling. I don’t like your country music, but I like your white women. Its a fair trade.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
I know that music is an intricate process but Combs was basically the start of what’s wrong with popular music today.[/quote]

What’s wrong with popular music today?

How about a Jay Z is way overrated thread.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

Dude, that’s eerie…

I didn’t see your post at all lol. I just went with my gut feeling. I don’t like your country music, but I like your white women. Its a fair trade.[/quote]

Ha, I’m just playing man. I saw that you posted that and wrote the same thing and thought it’d be funny. I don’t like my country music either but my girl loves it. That’s pretty much her only shortcoming. Well, that and she doesn’t like much “black music”.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
I know that music is an intricate process but Combs was basically the start of what’s wrong with popular music today.

What’s wrong with popular music today?[/quote]

Opened the floodgates for talentless people who can’t play an instrument, sing, rap or dance to somehow dominate the airwaves.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

But I do love your music and women.[/quote]

ah ha so you do think single ladies was the better video

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

Dude, that’s eerie…

I didn’t see your post at all lol. I just went with my gut feeling. I don’t like your country music, but I like your white women. Its a fair trade.

Ha, I’m just playing man. I saw that you posted that and wrote the same thing and thought it’d be funny. I don’t like my country music either but my girl loves it. That’s pretty much her only shortcoming. Well, that and she doesn’t like much “black music”.[/quote]

Show her one of P.Diddy’s videos and I’m sure she’ll like the music.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
countingbeans wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

Dude, that’s eerie…

Ha, I’m just playing man. I saw that you posted that and wrote the same thing and thought it’d be funny. I don’t like my country music either but my girl loves it. That’s pretty much her only shortcoming. Well, that and she doesn’t like much “black music”.

Show her one of P.Diddy’s videos and I’m sure she’ll like the music.[/quote]

I’ve tried Wol, I’ve really tried. She does like george Benson and Otis Redding though, so I’m making progress.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
I know that music is an intricate process but Combs was basically the start of what’s wrong with popular music today.

Opened the floodgates for talentless people who can’t play an instrument, sing, rap or dance to somehow dominate the airwaves.[/quote]

People who aren’t great at singing or playing instruments have always made it big in popular music post WWII, that’s a good thing. As long as the songs are well written, these two don’t have to be as important. I’m serious about that. You’ve thrown full genres of music out the window with the part about good singing and playing instruments well [if you mean what I think you mean by singing well and playing your instruments well].

And as for rapping, some people who a big in rap can rap, I just know from past posts that they don’t seem to satify YOUR PERSONAL TASTES. :slight_smile:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

Opened the floodgates for talentless people who can’t play an instrument, sing, rap or dance to somehow dominate the airwaves.

People who aren’t great at singing or playing instruments have always made it big in popular music post WWII, that’s a good thing. As long as the songs are well written, these two don’t have to be as important. I’m serious about that. You’ve thrown full genres of music out the window with the part about good singing and playing instruments well [if you mean what I think you mean by singing well and playing your instruments well].

And as for rapping, some people who a big in rap can rap, I just know from past posts that they don’t seem to satify YOUR PERSONAL TASTES. :)[/quote]

If you’d have said “post gulf war” I might’ve agreed with you. And, as much as I hate to admit it just 'cause I say it sucks that doesn’t make it so.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

And as for rapping, some people who a big in rap can rap, I just know from past posts that they don’t seem to satify YOUR PERSONAL TASTES. :slight_smile:

If you’d have said “post gulf war” I might’ve agreed with you. And, as much as I hate to admit it just 'cause I say it sucks that doesn’t make it so.[/quote]

Glad we agree on the last part, but as for the first part:

Bad singing: A lot of rock acts, think Mick Jagger, The Beatles, a slew of rock artists whenever they tried to adopt a ‘bluesy’ voice.

Bad instruments: Punk Rock, and a slew of other rock bands.

**However Mick knew how to use his voice really well, and managed to make some really good music with his limited range, since his vocal talent wasn’t about range anyway. And some Punk Rockers (especially the early American ones, when it was an art movement) had things like minimalism and such when they played their instruments the way they did. So in a way they were playing their instruments in a better way than a third rate metal/prog rock band. <<That’s why I put in brackets “if you mean what I think you mean” in my earlier post-I thought maybe you had taken this into account in your definition of good singing/instrumentals.

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:
LarryDavid wrote:
WhiteFlash wrote:

If you’d have said “post gulf war” I might’ve agreed with you. And, as much as I hate to admit it just 'cause I say it sucks that doesn’t make it so.

Glad we agree on the last part, but as for the first part:

Bad singing: A lot of rock acts, think Mick Jagger, The Beatles, a slew of rock artists whenever they tried to adopt a ‘bluesy’ voice.

Bad instruments: Punk Rock, and a slew of other rock bands.

**However Mick knew how to use his voice really well, and managed to make some really good music with his limited range, since his vocal talent wasn’t about range anyway. And some Punk Rockers (especially the early American ones, when it was an art movement) had things like minimalism and such when they played their instruments the way they did. So in a way they were playing their instruments in a better way than a third rate metal/prog rock band. <<That’s why I put in brackets “if you mean what I think you mean” in my earlier post-I thought maybe you had taken this into account in your definition of good singing/instrumentals.[/quote]

Oh, I’m not saying all artists from a bygone era were = to Aretha Franklin, but their voices were unique and were imperfect in a perfect way. Now one’s voice doesn’t have to have any kind of appeal 'cause you can just run it through auto tune and pro tools and bam, instant singer. Also not saying everyone today sucks, 'cause even though I’m not really a fan of her music someone like Christina Aguilera [sp?] has an amazing voice, as does Jill Scott, Alicia Keys, Raheem DeVaughan, people like that, but only two out of that four would be considered “popular”. My point was Puffy got famous for riding the coattails of others and transitioned that fame into a career without having any actual talent, and now there seems to be a slew of “artists” that have followed in his footsteps.