T Nation

Ozzie Vs. Robert Plant

Got in the big discussion with some co-workers today…

We narrowed down the classic rock bands who influenced today’s rock bands to Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin.

Who was more evil? Robert Plant or Ozzie? Who made you shiver? Who did your parents yell at you for playing too loud?

I have to go with Ozzie in the Black Sabbath days. Robert Plant was mysterious and dark, but Ozzie knew how to touch that devil horned nerve like no other.

GAINER

The Ozzster’s cool, for sure, and I like Sabbath and his solo stuff better than I ever liked Led Zep–for reasons that escape me I never got into Zeppelin–but I think Robert Plant might be the better singer.

You spelled Zeppelin wrong for that go and write Led Zeppelin one hundred times!

Ozzie was more evil. RP was a more talented and revolutionary musican.

[quote]elevationgain wrote:
Got in the big discussion with some co-workers today…

We narrowed down the classic rock bands who influenced today’s rock bands to Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin.

Who was more evil? Robert Plant or Ozzie? Who made you shiver? Who did your parents yell at you for playing too loud?

I have to go with Ozzie in the Black Sabbath days. Robert Plant was mysterious and dark, but Ozzie knew how to touch that devil horned nerve like no other.

GAINER[/quote]

I second Ozzie. Robert Plant was just too hippy to be evil. Zepplin rocked, but not like Sabbath did.

I actually like Zepplin better than Black Sabbath, but Sabbath was the devil’s band.

Both mediocre singers backed up by great bands.

But I go for Ozzy, Plant was always a little too feminine.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Ozzie is no Ozzie & Harriet that’s for sure! That dude is the devil! He scares me!

There is a quick way to settle this debate - How many animals did cuddly Rob bite the head off? Oh, none? I think Ozzy wins then.

Ozzy is more evil just for fathering Kelly Osbourne.

[quote]Massif wrote:
There is a quick way to settle this debate - How many animals did cuddly Rob bite the head off? Oh, none? I think Ozzy wins then.

Ozzy is more evil just for fathering Kelly Osbourne.[/quote]

Good call.

In my opinion two different animals. Black Sabbath was more of the heavy doom dark evil beginnings of heavy metal. Great heavy music.

Zeppelin was more a fusion of blues, rock and roll, and funk. Zeppelin had more diversity IMO. Ramble On… one of the all time best rock songs.

If you are comparing evil Robert Plant is a poor choice from Zep. Jimmy Page was the evil one. Into the occult, black magic, Alister Crowley, and an addiction to under age girls.

Ozzy rules on the first few Sabbath records (“Sabbath Bloody Sabbath” being the last really great album until “Heaven and Hell”), but the reincarnations of Kelley and Dee who truly opened the gates of hell were Ronnie James Dio and Richie Blackmore. “Gates of Babylon” (from Rainbow’s “Long Live Rock and Roll”) paved the way for the Sumerian/Lovecraft demon worship that is now so prevelant in metal (Morbid Angel, Krisiun, Shub Niggurath, etc.). That said, I agree with Elkhntr, Page was the evil member of Zepplin…He bought Aleister Crowley’s (rhymes with holy) house!!! Plant just pranced around in those obscene pants (you know what I’m talking about, fucking gross!) and did effiminate things with his hands. And as for Ozzy, he’s a total douche. I want a Dio reality show!

He’s a douche now, yes…

Back in the Sabbath days, though, he was the shit.

Plant smeared blood on his groupies and used hem as shark-bait.Lyris such as ‘Squeeze my lemon till juice runs down my leg’ and ‘Way down inside…woman…you neeeed…LOOOOVE’ makes him the king of all things rock.

Good lord. Tough Choice I grew up and still listen to both Zeppelin and Sabbath.

Parents never yelled at me either they Turned it up. LOL

I gotta say, Ozzie probably more evil, but todays sad state of music was probably influenced more by Plant and Zeppelin.

Though no matter which was more influential the music of today falls short of any of the great bands of that era.

Just my opinion,
Phill

Funny, Robert Plant was on live this morning on my local classic rock station, he didn’t sound the least bit evil. Kind of goofy actually.

Anyway, Plant is definitely the better singer and Zeppelin has better songs compared to Sabbath but Ozzy on his own has put out some of my fave albums.

Back to the original question, which was influence, today’s rock definitely has a heavy metal influence, not a heavy blues influence.

So, I vote Black Sabbath for being more influential with TODAY’s bands. Zep is probably more influential overall though.

Ozzie was way more evil, Plant had more style. Plant was a much more talented vocalist, better sound. Ozzie is the original metal screamer.

Overall, I’d ssy the two bands are the driving influences for 99% of all rock bands in the past 25+ years.

Since the question pertained to evilness, I’ll focus on just that. OZ wins hands down…I mean, Plant never snorted a line of ANTS did he? NO! Then OZ takes it on that fact alone.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

He also lapped up Nikki Sixx’s piss one night if I remember right. Both the ants and piss stories were on either VH-1 or MTV.