T Nation

Oxandrin Script

Has anyone ever obtained a script for Oxandrin (aka: Oxandrolone) from their MD?

The prescribing doc reads as follows:

INDICATIONS AND USAGE

Oxandrin is indicated as adjunctive therapy to promote weight gain after weight loss following extensive surgery, chronic infections, or severe trauma, and in some patients who without definite pathophysiologic reasons fail to gain or to maintain normal weight, to offset the protein catabolism associated with prolonged administration of corticosteroids, and for the relief of the bone pain frequently accompanying osteoporosis.

I have bloodwork comfirming primary hypogonadism (subnormal T, Free T and LH) and will be seeing an endrocrinologist and urologist this month.

The only argument I can see for getting a script for Oxandrin is the line "and in some patients who without definite pathophysiologic reasons fail to gain or to maintain normal weight".

Oxandrin has been used in research to counteract loss of lean muscle mass due to aging but I can find no data or documention pertaining to it's authorized use for hypogonadism.

It is used for wasting diseases (AIDS, cancer, burn victims) primarily.

I am interested in Oxandrin for the following reasons: lower risk of side effects, does not aromatize, helps to build lean muscle)

As with most non-aromatizing steroids, it appears to upregulate Hepatic Lipase activity which can lower HDL levels and also elevate liver enzymes. I am guessing that supplemenation with herbs and nutrients which downregulate Hepatic Lipase activity and raise HDL would balance things out. I am also guessing that liver protection with herbs and nutrients is required and effective.

I am not a body builder and I do not expect (or wish) to get "HUGE" with Oxandrolone. My hope is to maintain and slowly gain lean muscle as I age. I am wondering if the combination of 20mg of Oxandrin (daily) with 250IU of HCG (every other day) would be useful and/or advisable.

Feel free to PM me. There is a "used" copy of the book "Pumping Iron" which I will send to the person who provides the most helpful feedback/information.

That's what I thought. I will ask the endocrinologist about Oxandrin anyway to see what kind of reaction and feedback I get.

Yes. I hear lots of good things about Oxandrolone. I am not in a position to procure it via "alternative" means.