T Nation

Owning It

Jim,

Although each guy would be at a different starting point and prescribing tailored goals would vary so much, do you have a sort of rough standard when you recommend owning your own bodyweight with push-ups/dips/chins/fat man rows/leg raises/etc. and being able to push the prowler/run hills/weight vest work?

Let’s just say you had a guy that had access to a prowler, a good hill, a weight vest and had the setup needed to do the basic lifts…and just wanted to kick his ass back into gear - have you worked with these folks and given them any hard goals/standards to work torwards?

Well, I’m obviously not Jim Wendler, and this may sound a bit crude and may not be the type of answer you’re looking for, BUT, just get better. Getting better is a good goal. Having a larger goal like squatting 500lbs is great, but if you squat 315 right now a good goal is to squat 320. Then 325 and so on. Evaluate yourself, focus on improvement. Hope that helps some.

“…do you have a sort of rough standard when you recommend owning your own bodyweight with push-ups/dips/chins/fat man rows/leg raises/etc. and being able to push the prowler/run hills/weight vest work?”

In general, the guy above me has it right: just get better. However, the world seems to forget that there should be some standards, regardless of the social consequences of offending someone. A strong man should be able to do 50 push-ups (not sloppy, half reps), 20 chin-ups/pull-ups/any grip (do I need to mention that these are done with no momentum?), 40 dips, 20 dead hang leg raises, and push bodyweight on Prowler for 10, 40 yard sprints in 15 minutes. Hills are different as they are too hard to quantify. We have mile run times, and other challenges (I call them NOV challenges) that are a little more broad. We also have mobility circuits that have done wonders for everyone. (Of course, if one is injured or whatever, things will have to change but that is not a question that should have to be answered; it’s obvious.)

We also have weight vest circuits that we do, but this will be explained in the book.

The way I look at it is this: all this stuff is terribly basic and much of this should be done by most. Squats, presses and deadlifts make the meat of any normal program but all this stuff will greatly improve your strength and fitness level, short and long term.

The majority of people who are lifting today, the younger generation, has never had PE classes that had them run, do calistentics and play hard sports. My father and I talked about this fact this weekend - with my oldest son smirking. He couldn’t believe it. For the older generation that had it, then lost it over the years of “just lifting” or inactivity - it will greatly improve their training and quality of life.

There are a lot of people who struggle to add weight to certain lifts and sometimes all you have to ask is how wide their base is. Most of time, especially today, it’s as narrow as their ego is wide.