T Nation

Owning a Gun

There are many options for home/self defense between a baseball bat and a gun. There are stand-alone alarm systems designed for apartment dwellers for a start. A big advantage to these is that they will protect your premises even if you’re not there.

Most burglars don’t carry weapons since armed robberies have far more severe penalties. A non-lethal device like mace or a taser may be a better choice, especially for your girlfriend. If you decide to buy a gun, be sure to train your GF and keep it safe.

And you’re absolutely right that it sucks to have to spend your money on protection but the world is full of people who prefer to take the easy road in life. Nobody likes to see their tax dollars going to law enforcement and military spending either but it’s a necessary evil that we all have to live with these days.

[quote]Spry wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
What about a baseball bat?

Sensible advice. I’d go for a cricket bat myself.[/quote]

I have one of those too. And a pile of guns. With kids in the house my guns are locked up and I have other disgused weapons at hand. A cricket bat here, an axe handle there…

Owning a gun is serious business and it is possible it could get stolen when you are not home.

If you do decide to go ahead and buy one I suggest something simple to operate like a revolver for the GF.

[quote]hedo wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
hedo wrote:
If it is a gun that both need to use I suggest a .38cal. revolver. Have your girl take the basic NRA Handgun Class and she will be able to handle the weapon safely.

a .38 revolver for a girl who has never shot a gun before? I would think a .22 semi since it would be lighter on the recoil and less chance she would drop it in a panic situation.

If she’s really scared (the time she would need a gun) I would think the .22 semi would be easier to shoot because chances are she’ll need more than 1 shot.

I dunno just my 2 cents haha either are great options.

My Colt .45 revolver hurts my wrist like hell and that’s my only revolver expierence.

Crew

I use an older SW Model 10 with a 4" bull barrel to train women to shoot a handgun. Mild recoil with target wadcutters. Taught a lot of them to shoot with that handgun. They are apt students, particularly after a violent incident or break-in.

I just don’t like semi’s for folks who don’t know guns. After a bit of training maybe but the revolver is easier to learn with.

I agree everyone has a different opinion on it but all have merit.

[/quote]

Practice with wadcutters and load it with Glaser safety slugs if they still make those things. It won’t overpenetrate in an apartment.

LoL lot of good advise. I like the mini gun idea the best…although I would endup without a wall. But I have had more than enough experience with guns in and outside of the Army. i would never let my GF pick up a gun without some knowing something before hand.

But beleave me I had more than enough time to get a gun out and load it if I had wanted to or had one.

And as for children or anyone else getting it and havving an accident. It takes all of 5 sec to take a firing pin out and put it back in.

Benelli makes some good 12 gauge shotguns for home defense.

I was wondering why no one else had mentioned this yet. Why not a taser or some mace? Yeah it’s not as cool but it’ll get the job done without risk of getting charged with manslaughter, putting holes in your wall, etc.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
A non-lethal device like mace or a taser may be a better choice, especially for your girlfriend.
[/quote]

Fuck a shotgun, use a chainsaw. I don’t think there is anyone alive that wouldn’t shit their pants if they saw someone coming down the hall priming a chainsaw.

22’s and 38s? What are you trying to stop, people or racoons?

Seriously, for defense go with a 45. 22s and 38s have no stopping power whatsoever, and I would never trust them to stop an intruder.

One officer I talked to told me a story of how this guy was shot point blank with a .38, and the bullet went through one arm and lodged in the second (he made a sort of x-shape with his arms over his chest).

[quote]Fulmen wrote:

Seriously, for defense go with a 45. 22s and 38s have no stopping power whatsoever, and I would never trust them to stop an intruder.

One officer I talked to told me a story of how this guy was shot point blank with a .38, and the bullet went through one arm and lodged in the second (he made a sort of x-shape with his arms over his chest).[/quote]

38 with proper loading is more than adequate and is a better choice for shooting in an apartment complex.

22 is a poor choice for defense but great for practice.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Fulmen wrote:

One officer I talked to told me a story of how this guy was shot point blank with a .38, and the bullet went through one arm and lodged in the second (he made a sort of x-shape with his arms over his chest).

38 with proper loading is more than adequate and is a better choice for shooting in an apartment complex.

22 is a poor choice for defense but great for practice.[/quote]

I agree that a 22 will provide adequate aiming practice.
But why not a .357?

[quote]VanderLaan wrote:
koots wrote:
The Supreme Court is hearing a very key case right now about our American rights to bear arms. I have lived abroad for several years and can tell you that most of the rest of the civilized world finds it rather appalling that we can easily purchase guns in the US. I have to say in most cases I agree.

Would you please explain why my ability to purchase a firearm that I use for recreational/defensive purposes is appalling? Please tell me that it is not because “guns cause crime”. If they do, mine are defective.

[/quote]

Cause-and-effect is debatable. Statistical correlation is more clear-cut. Last time I looked, you were about 10 times (yes, ten) more likely to suffer death from a firearm in the USA than in, say, England. That’s what appals most Europeans.

why not get a security system?

[quote]doc_man_101 wrote:
Last time I looked, you were about 10 times (yes, ten) more likely to suffer death from a firearm in the USA than in, say, England. That’s what appals most Europeans.[/quote]

That’s because there are so many more people in the USA. Compare the violent crime statistics from the Home Office vs FBI per 100,000 people and you’ll see a much different picture.

Given that lesser means of self-defense (notice I didn’t say home-security) are less feasible or desirable in an apartment environment the best choice for in-home self-defense is a 20 gauge auto-load shotgun with slug barrel no plug and trap/skeet load.

Your liability issues are less with the scumbag that would come into your home than those who live around you who won’t appreciate stray lead spraying through their walls.

Always remember:

1. He said he had a gun.
  2. He said he was going to use it.
  3. He reached for his waistband.
  4. I feared for my life

[quote]CCFan wrote:
doc_man_101 wrote:
Last time I looked, you were about 10 times (yes, ten) more likely to suffer death from a firearm in the USA than in, say, England. That’s what appals most Europeans.

That’s because there are so many more people in the USA. Compare the violent crime statistics from the Home Office vs FBI per 100,000 people and you’ll see a much different picture.
[/quote]

No. I was comparing the figures per 100,000 people. And my memory was wrong. The factor isn’t 10. It’s 30. Thirty. Three-oh.

CCFan wrote:
doc_man_101 wrote:
Last time I looked, you were about 10 times (yes, ten) more likely to suffer death from a firearm in the USA than in, say, England. That’s what appals most Europeans.

No. I was comparing the figures per 100,000 people. And my memory was wrong. The factor isn’t 10. It’s 30. Thirty. Three-oh. [/quote]

In other words: Welcome to England: Home Break In Capitol of the World.

Go savage. Get a machete, a bow and arrow, various farming implements like hatchets and pitchforks. Go caveman on their asses.

VanderLaan wrote:
koots wrote:
The Supreme Court is hearing a very key case right now about our American rights to bear arms. I have lived abroad for several years and can tell you that most of the rest of the civilized world finds it rather appalling that we can easily purchase guns in the US. I have to say in most cases I agree.

Would you please explain why my ability to purchase a firearm that I use for recreational/defensive purposes is appalling? Please tell me that it is not because “guns cause crime”. If they do, mine are defective.

Cause-and-effect is debatable. Statistical correlation is more clear-cut. Last time I looked, you were about 10 times (yes, ten) more likely to suffer death from a firearm in the USA than in, say, England. That’s what appals most Europeans.[/quote]

Yeah and your more likely to get stabbed in England, because they don’t want citizens to defend themselves with guns

CCFan wrote:
doc_man_101 wrote:

No. I was comparing the figures per 100,000 people. And my memory was wrong. The factor isn’t 10. It’s 30. Thirty. Three-oh. [/quote]

So would this 30 times figure include criminals shooting each other? Just curious, how do sick, infirmed and women in the UK defend themselves? Or don’t they have the right to?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
hedo wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
hedo wrote:
If it is a gun that both need to use I suggest a .38cal. revolver. Have your girl take the basic NRA Handgun Class and she will be able to handle the weapon safely.

a .38 revolver for a girl who has never shot a gun before? I would think a .22 semi since it would be lighter on the recoil and less chance she would drop it in a panic situation.

If she’s really scared (the time she would need a gun) I would think the .22 semi would be easier to shoot because chances are she’ll need more than 1 shot.

I dunno just my 2 cents haha either are great options.

My Colt .45 revolver hurts my wrist like hell and that’s my only revolver expierence.

Crew

I use an older SW Model 10 with a 4" bull barrel to train women to shoot a handgun. Mild recoil with target wadcutters. Taught a lot of them to shoot with that handgun. They are apt students, particularly after a violent incident or break-in.

I just don’t like semi’s for folks who don’t know guns. After a bit of training maybe but the revolver is easier to learn with.

I agree everyone has a different opinion on it but all have merit.

Practice with wadcutters and load it with Glaser safety slugs if they still make those things. It won’t overpenetrate in an apartment.[/quote]

Zap

I don’t think Glaser is around anymore but a company called Magsafe makes the same type of frangible round.