Owen McKibbin: Bowflex

I saw Owen McKibbin on TV today, advertising the new Bowflex product. He actually claimed that he’s put on “12LB of muscle in just 6 weeks using a Bowflex”.

Bear in mind that Owen “never” uses any kind of drugs (“not even creatine”). He’s 41 years old - so one would reasonably expect his ‘T’ / GH etc. to have peaked some time ago.

Does anyone know something about this that’s not discussed in the infomercial??

WiZlon

[quote]WiZlon wrote:
I saw Owen McKibbin on TV today, advertising the new Bowflex product. He actually claimed that he’s put on “12LB of muscle in just 6 weeks using a Bowflex”.

Bear in mind that Owen “never” uses any kind of drugs (“not even creatine”). He’s 41 years old - so one would reasonably expect his ‘T’ / GH etc. to have peaked some time ago.

WiZlon[/quote]

Are you being serious?

I hear Zantrex 3 works like magic to get rid of body fat. At least that’s what an ex-super fat stripper who used to be married to an old guy and inherited all of his money after he died said. Therefore, it is true.

[quote]WiZlon wrote:

WiZlon[/quote]

the likelyhood of lies in advertisments are very high.

or he used creatine and thinks the lean mass gain is muscle.

This is the same guy who says in his book, and I quote “eating too much protein makes me too muscular. You’re not a bodybuilder, so don’t worry eating protein.”

I’ll believe that when I see that smoking hot ‘50 year old grandmother’s’ birth certificate. Bowflex advertises on a mountain of lies. Those things cost as much as $1,200. For rubber bands?? Owen could have gain 20 lbs of muscle if he had taken one of those Cybergenic steroid replacement kits. Anyone remember those?..lol

[quote]Professor X wrote:
WiZlon wrote:

WiZlon

Are you being serious?

I hear Zantrex 3 works like magic to get rid of body fat. At least that’s what an ex-super fat stripper who used to be married to an old guy and inherited all of his money after he died said. Therefore, it is true.[/quote]

You’re thinking of Trimspa

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Are you being serious? [/quote]

Well the question is serious, but the basis for it is that I am so sceptical of such a claim. As a former Bowflex user, I experienced no significant gains after even extended use. And I worked it “hard” (not the alleged 3 x 20mins / week session - I forgot to mention that part about Owen’s claim!). Yet as soon as I bought my Barbell and cage etc., I have made huge gains - maybe 2LB / month or so of muscle (but again, not 2LB / week).

I would imagine 2LB muscle per week would be darn good even for someone using anablic steroids and seriously heavy free-weights. However rather than just leap to a conclusion, I thought I’d ask in case there was actually some documented record of this (that I was simply not aware of). From the responses, it sounds as though I am far from alone in my view.

It’s just so sad. Please forgive me for seeming to be so naive; I did not believe the McKibbin claim, but I guess I also did not want to believe he’d actually fucking lie just to sell a piece of equipment. He has achieved so much in his life and he’s not stupid. Why the hell would he want to say that? He could still make his money, and probably sell the product, by saying “I use one to keep my body in shape, and look at me” (assuming he does actually use the Bowflex for weight training, which I also find hard to believe).

So I guess my real question is: Is the Bowflex such an inferior product that they actually have to lie to sell it?

WiZ

[quote]So I guess my real question is: Is the Bowflex such an inferior product that they actually have to lie to sell it?

WiZ[/quote]

Pricey? Yes. Inferior? It has its uses, but for the most part, yes. Would the company lie to get your money, if you can’t prove that it is a lie? Most defiantly yes. Bottom line: they don’t care if it is a good or inferior product, as long as you are sending them your money. Did you know that most ab-models have liposuction performed on their abs? So much for the super-secret, ultra, send me your money to achieve this look. A company lying through advertisement to get your money… just doesn’t happen.

[quote]WiZlon wrote:
So I guess my real question is: Is the Bowflex such an inferior product that they actually have to lie to sell it?

WiZ[/quote]

Yes, it is. It makes great home art. It would look really cool taking up an entire wall of my home, much like a nice painting of the ocean or some woman’s bare naked ass artistically drawn over black canvas. You want results, buy some real weights or join a gym. It is the exact same shit that built all of the greatest bodies that ever competed in bodybuilding. As soon as a Mr. Olympia wins a contest strictly from BowFlex use, that will be the day I start worrying about how effective they are.

Ads LIE. It is what ads do. It is pathological for ads to lie. They can’t help it. This is why bodybuilders who are already in shape have “I lost 63lbs in two months” written under their flexing pictures. They didn’t fucking have 63lbs to lose in the first damn place! However, that won’t stop some fat kid (who likes cake) from believing it and buying 15 bottles with his inflated allowance money.

I’ve also heard that suing for false advertising is just about worthless.

I heard that courts are so backed up with minor claims that it would take too long, and the company has deep enough pockets to win anyway.

In a college class, we were told to look at advertisements and find at least 5 different fallacies. With the amount of students that go through each class, everyone was able to find plenty of examples, and I don’t remember any 2 people using the same ad.

I think it’s sad really, and probably caused me not to trust some products that could have been ‘real’.

[quote]SWR-1222D wrote:
I’ve also heard that suing for false advertising is just about worthless.

I heard that courts are so backed up with minor claims that it would take too long, and the company has deep enough pockets to win anyway.

In a college class, we were told to look at advertisements and find at least 5 different fallacies. With the amount of students that go through each class, everyone was able to find plenty of examples, and I don’t remember any 2 people using the same ad.

I think it’s sad really, and probably caused me not to trust some products that could have been ‘real’.[/quote]

Most bodybuilders who ahve been at it for a while don’t look at magazines as being filled with ads of great products that you really have to try. That is newbie action. I remembering acting that way when I first started, pretty much treating every new product as if it was the key to reaching the goal I had. It isn’t like times have changed.

That doesn’t mean I believe that nothing works at all, but I do think it is retarded to even fall for most of the claims seen in any ad for any product. I just bought the new MuscleMag this month and it has Basil Brown on the back cover claiming that he gained 2 inches on his arms (with 26lbs of muscle) in only 7 weeks all because of a new protein synthesis stimulator. Meanwhile, the before and after pic is simply him wearing the same clothes with the same lighting going from semi-flexed to flexed. This guy is an NPC competitor who simply wouldn’t be well known to those who don’t follow those contests (the only contests I do follow regularly). I am sure many kids will believe it though and run to GNC in expectation of their own 26lbs of muscle, not realizing this guy spent YEARS to look that way, not 7 months.