T Nation

Overworking? How Much is Too Much?

Ive read many articles, both on here and bodybuilding.com about overworking. The effects are no doubt bad and overworking is something u want to avoid but how much is too much? I remember reading an article here on T-Nation about how its almost impossible to overwork urself. If this is true i will add some extra workout days to my workout-which is a 3-day a week 5x5 program-to reap extra gains.

It's better to do too much then too little even though I'm still a noob in the game of weightlifting I've done too much before and gotten injuried. Try deadlifting and squatting everyday and you find that overworking yourself is quite easy. Just continue with the routine your on right now. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I think if you are becoming more fatigued and having a hard time getting your lifts to go up or even stay the same then you might need to lay off some.

If you're too sore to move, you worked too hard in one day. the beauty of being a beginner is that you can pretty much get into the gym 5-6 days a week and not really have a problem, making great gains along the way. As you get more experienced, this is harder and harder to do. But your body needs to adapt to volume first, and a lot of newbs go into the gym, train until they can't move, and then wonder why it hurts to get out of bed the next morning.

Parsley, you are definately an inquisitive person :slightly_smiling: Listen, don't be afraid of overtraining before you even started. Hit the gym, see what it's like and then you'll slowly learn things.

If you want to be careful and still give yourself some frequency, you can do sth like that:

day 1
chin-ups (or pulldowns)
DB one-arm row
biceps exercise
hyperextension (to strengthen lower back)

day off

day 3:
bench press
DB shoulder press
dips
squats (done with very little weight, high reps, to grasp the thing)

day (or 2) off
repeat

This will start you off. Do it for a month, see what it's like to work out, the way your body responds etc.

Then you can go for sth else.

Sorry thorax that doesn't seem like enough. Ive worked out before, and i go hard, the way you should workout. Im not new to working out im new to working out in a gym environment and ive been working out at my house for about a year.

Overtraining is actually not as common as most people make it seem. As long as you are eating sufficient calories with quality food choices, and getting quality rest you will be just fine.

I got lost in the whole fear of overtraining and never really started making real progress until some other members on here encouraged me to just go ahead and bust my ass.

Never looked back.

Overtraining is actually not as common as most people make it seem. As long as you are eating sufficient calories with quality food choices, and getting quality rest you will be just fine.

I got lost in the whole fear of overtraining and never really started making real progress until some other members on here encouraged me to just go ahead and bust my ass.

Never looked back.

in my opinion a year is still a beginner

unfortunatly only U can know how much is enough. Pros know their body, pros listen to it, pros know when is enough, pros know when to stop, pros know when they can keep going on etc.

The real answer is; only u can know if u are truly overtraining or undertraining. Listen to ur body. The truth is no matter what other people say (they are incorrect). Their body is not ur body. So if u want the correct answer; LISTEN TO UR BODY, KNOW URBODY, & KNOW URSELF.

That being said. The human body is a powerfull machine. Dont underestimate it.

Sure u are very sore and stiff because u worked out everyday of the week; to be able to keep going on is more mental (than physical). If u think u can, then u can. If u think u cant, then u cant. If u think u will break the weights, then u will. If u think the weights will break u, then they will.

THere are no limits BESIDES the limit u put on urself.

Yes i know I am a beginner but i think Thorax (no offense intended) thinks im someone who has never touched a barbell or really busted his ass working out before

Onimusha, Bradden, BROOTAL: good posts.

Even when some of the symptoms of overtraining are present, it may not be that you're overtrained, but you just need to change your routine. Overtraining is hard to diagnose. Most of the time it's insufficient diet/calories. Regardless, you're not going to be overtrained on a 5x5 3x a week so don't even worry about overtrianing right now. It's good, though, that you've read up on it. If you get to the point where you suspect you might becoming overtrained definitely evaluate your diet/workout and other external factors (ie job, relationships, life, etc).

Keep your nose to grindstone, brutha and keep the questions coming.

someone once said "there is no such thing as overtraining, only undereating and under-resting"

Listen to your body, if you feel down in the dumps all the time, can't get a boner, feeling different than usual in any negative way, your probably overworking

If you feel down in the dumps all the time, can't get a boner or just feel different in a negative way your probably overworking

keeperbro, those symptoms sound a lot like what an 80 year old man's day is like ... just saying.

I pretty much agree with this statement. You will be surprised at how much better your recovery is when you get the proper amount of nutrients.

There is some merit to that saying but I think that's taking it a bit too far. In my opinion it's not as easy to overtrain as people make it sound to be, but overtraining do exist.

well if you look at the quote closely it says UNDER-RESTING and undereating, so that basically means that with adequate rest and copious amounts of food, you can't overtrain, and it's true.

I would throw out this word of caution though. Under eating can creep up on you without realizing. You may be energetic, get through your workouts, and even feel great, but if instead of getting gains you start getting fat, it may be under eating. I've been experiencing this myself... strong as a horse, can spend 2-3 INTENSE hours at the gym. But my caloric intake seems to be 1700-2500 on average... I'm not out of shape, but cuts? - forget it, I'm hovering around 23% bodyfat. Work out hard and EAT you may need to eat more than you think, and possibly/probably more than your body is telling you! Eat the right food of course...