Overweight 'Top World's Hungry'

It seems that humanitarian activities will start switching from feeding the hungry to helping the overweight exercise:

[quote]ramses wrote:
It seems that humanitarian activities will start switching from feeding the hungry to helping the overweight exercise:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4793455.stm[/quote]

LOL!

“For the price of a cup of coffee, you could help Boqueshia stop eating cupcakes and lose 160lbs so she can go to her prom without taking her bed with her!”

Maybe we could feed the fattest to the hungriest and solve two problems at once.

[quote]ramses wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4793455.stm[/quote]

Can’t we just feed the fat ones to the skinny ones?

http://health.msn.com/reports/obesity/default.aspx?GT1=8307

Frightening isn’t it…

Yeah, frightening that the BMI is considered a valid way of measuring obesity.

Soon they’ll take over the WORLD

but getting off the sofa to do it is another matter

[quote]pookie wrote:
[/quote]

True, BMI is quite inaccurate for athletic types, but I don’t think very many people work out to the point where BMI is not a factor. Don’t you think?

I also think that the baby boomers getting older has alot to do with the increase in obesity as well.

[quote]Z-Man wrote:
pookie wrote:

True, BMI is quite inaccurate for athletic types, but I don’t think very many people work out to the point where BMI is not a factor. Don’t you think?

I also think that the baby boomers getting older has alot to do with the increase in obesity as well.

[/quote]

Well it’s inaccurate for many other types of people, especially the very tall or very short ones. It also doesn’t account for the fact that most people exaggerate their height and underestimate their weight, so eventually the final results you end up for a population might be off by 10%, 20% etc. You can’t really know.

It’s accurate for maybe 60-70% of the sedentary population, but that’s not a very good percentage.

Considering that you can get a better bodyfat estimate by simply using height and a waist measurement, the BMI is simply used out of laziness.

Very true. So do you think the obesity number is smaller or bigger than they report?

I know around here in Calgary, I’d say overweight is upwards of 75%, with obese being around 30-40%, and this is a completely non-scientific estimate of mine.

It amazes me that there is enough food in the world to allow an obesity epidemic to be a major concern of our society, yet there are still people who live in hunger.

But I should note that while I am typing this I am eating a 1000 calorie meal of chicken, fresh vegies and grains, quite possibly more food than some people would eat in a week. What have I done about it, nothing, and I guess that clearly demonstrates the problem.

Fuck this damn diet, I’m going to get vaccinated!

[quote]helga wrote:
It amazes me that there is enough food in the world to allow an obesity epidemic to be a major concern of our society, yet there are still people who live in hunger.

But I should note that while I am typing this I am eating a 1000 calorie meal of chicken, fresh vegies and grains, quite possibly more food than some people would eat in a week. What have I done about it, nothing, and I guess that clearly demonstrates the problem.[/quote]

The world produces more than enough food to feed itself. Transportation costs and market barriers are the major reasons why people still starve. If we put fat people in giant hamster wheels to power freighter ships carrying food to starving people then we could solve two problems at once.

X, you are f#cking hilarious

[quote]Professor X wrote:

LOL!

“For the price of a cup of coffee, you could help Boqueshia stop eating cupcakes and lose 160lbs so she can go to her prom without taking her bed with her!”[/quote]

[quote]helga wrote:

But I should note that while I am typing this I am eating a 1000 calorie meal of chicken, fresh vegies and grains, quite possibly more food than some people would eat in a week. What have I done about it, nothing, and I guess that clearly demonstrates the problem.[/quote]

Excellent post mate. Are we really the answer, or are the ones who legitimately eat ‘fucking hyoooge’ (to fuel muscle) as much part of the problem as the fat ones? What a dilemma. I’m gonna keep eating.

Good point etaco. Maybe people who are obese should be punished by having to work really hard transporting rice to Africa, in a scheme like community service.

I’ve read also that gardening can often actually be better cardio than training conventionally, why doesn’t the council employ an army of chubbies to sort out the overgrown vegetation, pick up litter, and so forth

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
Excellent post mate. Are we really the answer, or are the ones who legitimately eat ‘fucking hyoooge’ (to fuel muscle) as much part of the problem as the fat ones?[/quote]

How is someone with a fast metabolism who lifts weights part of any problem simply because they eat more? The problem is obesity and health risks, not the simple consumption of food. This would be a non-issue if the entire country was eating more yet getting more muscular and powerful.

[quote]helga wrote:

Just in case… The article states that the number of people that are starving is declining. Perhaps not as fast as it should, but things are on track to end world hunger.

[quote]ramses wrote:
Just in case… The article states that the number of people that are starving is declining. Perhaps not as fast as it should, but things are on track to end world hunger.
[/quote]

Nonsense. All those fat people are hungry or starving. I’ve heard them say so countless times.

[quote]Z-Man wrote:
pookie wrote:

[/quote]

A lot of people are born pre-disposed to heavy-set bone structures or levels of muscle mass and are overweight or obese according to BMI despite not really lifting.

[quote]Z-Man wrote:
True, BMI is quite inaccurate for athletic types, but I don’t think very many people work out to the point where BMI is not a factor. Don’t you think?[/quote]

According to the BMI calculator I just used, if I weighed in at 177 pounds, I would have a BMI of 21.5, right in the middle of the “normal” range.

At 177 pounds, I would have zero body fat.

Normal my anterior deltoid…