T Nation

Overuse A Cause of Joint Injury?

Lately, I’ve been experiencing the onset of a soreness in my shoulder joints and elbows. It’s not big deal, I’ve experienced minor injuries (shoulder sprain, tendonitis in the elbows) before in these areas, and I know what they feel like.

My question is, what is causing this slight soreness/pain? My technique is immaculate, so I’m guessing it’s simply overuse. I do all kinds of compound presses all the time, probably to the point of overdoing it.

Simple question: can overuse injure joints and supportive soft-tissues the same way overuse can injure muscles? I think I already know the answer is yes. Just curious.

Sure can. Do you have deload weeks? Do you do soft tissue work and perform light, active recovery type workouts? It would be a good time to start if you don’t.

You may need some rotator cuff-specific exercises.

For the tendonitis, lower you weights and slow the reps down for a few weeks.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Sure can. Do you have deload weeks? Do you do soft tissue work and perform light, active recovery type workouts? It would be a good time to start if you don’t.[/quote]

What kind of training would you be performing during a deload week? Any guidelines regarding what types of loads/percentages/rep schemes for am deload week?

When you say soft-tissue work, are you referring to massages? I have benefits from my employer which gives me a little money every year for massage therapy, I guess I should start taking advantage.

Although I know active recovery workouts are a good idea, I never end up performing them. I pretty much train heavy day in and day out until I burn out and require awhile to get back in the gym. :slight_smile: