T Nation

Overtrtaining with Chin-ups Daily?

Hey people
I’ve got a question: would doing chin ups and pull ups daily (and during workouts on back days) for two or thee sets til failure lead to over training?

Thanks.

I have to say something.

Sometimes doing daily the same movement for a while will be a sledgehammer to get it moving or gaining real quick. You can’t do it forever, but doing it for several weeks is possible with the right nutrition.

I recommend not going to failure all the time. Sometimes might be okay.

lm doing this atm to improve
my max pullups and do a one arm chin…
everytime l walk past the chin bar l do 2 chins, so far strength improving and lats growing/thick

my advice…
dont go to failure it is counterproductive with frequent training, limit the lowering time, vary your hand position as much as possible…
and most importantly do alot of overhead pressing

this is similar to waterburys hundreds,
mahlers dips and chins everyday,
and arnold and his calves
and they all work

I believe Pavel Tsatsouline called this the “Greasing The Grove” method. I haven’t read his stuff in a while (I really should go back and re-read it), but from what I remember, he recommends doing half your maximum reps throughout the day.

I believe the example he gives is one of his relatives wanting to improve their chin-up ability, so he had them perform a half set of chin ups every time they walked into the kitchen. (By half set, I mean a set consisting of half your maximum reps, so if you can manage 10 chin ups, do 5).

My (possibly flawed) understanding of it is that performing an exercise many times throughout the day will reinforce CNS efficiency with regards to that exercise, and performing a half set means you won’t be risking CNS or muscular fatigue.

[quote]Roual wrote:
I believe Pavel Tsatsouline called this the “Greasing The Grove” method. I haven’t read his stuff in a while (I really should go back and re-read it), but from what I remember, he recommends doing half your maximum reps throughout the day.

I believe the example he gives is one of his relatives wanting to improve their chin-up ability, so he had them perform a half set of chin ups every time they walked into the kitchen. (By half set, I mean a set consisting of half your maximum reps, so if you can manage 10 chin ups, do 5).

My (possibly flawed) understanding of it is that performing an exercise many times throughout the day will reinforce CNS efficiency with regards to that exercise, and performing a half set means you won’t be risking CNS or muscular fatigue.[/quote]

Worked great for me during last summer. My pull-ups (BW only) went from 5 to 12-13 in less than 3 weeks. The trick for doing an exercise daily is to not do them to absolute failure often.