Overtraining

I think I’m overtraining, simply because I don’t get enough sleep. I am stuck in a position in which I get 7 or less hours of sleep a night usually. This combined with the amount of training I do, which I can not cut down on (not because I am psychologically dependant or anything like that, but because I have made commitments to various teams), means I get quite worn out. Are there any suppliments out there, aside from ZMA and powerdrive (which I take) which could get me all jacked up for a workout? Even with those, I still have to drag myself to the gym. I am only in this position till April, then I can get more sleep. Thanks for the help.

Hi, Alex. Yes, it does sound like you’re burning the candle at both ends.

A few suggestions? For sleep, try melatonin (at about 3 mg, though you can take more and some people need less). Many times I’ll take melatonin AND a not-very-well-known product called L-theanine. The latter is used for stress and has a calming effect that is complementary to melatonin. Both can be gotten at a health food store.

If you’re not using Surge, you need to start ASAP, even if your budget is limited. Even if you only use it temporarily, recovery at this point is critical, and there’s nothing I’m aware of that will better stop catabolism, reduce cortisol levels and promote protein synthesis.

Okay, here’s a biggie. I know you’ve probably read about it here on the forum, but for you, high-dose fish oil is just what the doctor ordered. It will noticably increase endurance and stamina. Stop by the book store and read the chapter about athletes in Barry Sear’s “The Omega Zone” and come to your own conclusions.

Finally, if you’re going to head to the gym and work out, try a program that won’t deplete you of what little energy you have left. Take a look at Joel Marion’s Ripped, Rugged & Dense, a 5x5 strength program.

Anyway, Alex, I wish you all the best. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

If you’re only in this position until April, then you might consider boosting your calorie intake, especially the number of calories you get from carbohydrates. This should have a noticeable effect on your level of energy and your cortisol levels (which are quite probably elevated if indeed you are overtraining). Some people also find thermogenics (especially those containing ephedrine and caffeine) and neurotransmitter boosters like PowerDrive to be effective short-term at boosting energy levels.