T Nation

Overtraining

I’ve got a bit of a dilemma here. My job is taking me to Paris for 2-3 weeks at a time. My only access to any kind of weightlifting here is BW exercises, or whatever I can rig up with my suitcase in my hotel room. The hotel gym is going through renovations, and all they have are some cardio machines.

Since I’m going to be able to return to the States for 1 to 2 weeks at a time during this, I’m wondering if I might be able to structure my schedule for a planned effort at overtraining during that time? I know there is some theory behind this, i.e. Poliquin’s super-accumulation, but I’m wondering if anyone has had any success doing this?

Basically, since I go 2 to 3 weeks without any access to weights, I want to figure out the absolute best way to make the best of those 2 weeks I get with a gym. Would this be worth a shot?

Also, does anyone think there would be any bad side effects to repeating the planned overtraining each time I returned home? (essentially 2 overtraining cycles every 3 months, with BW and whatever I can do in between)

Food and rest really won’t be issues for recovery, so I don’t think those should be the limiting factors.

Thoughts? Does anyone have any better suggestions?

no

its an awesome idea
do it

So, for every 3 months of being in Paris, you’ll have a total of a month’s worth to overreach?

Of course this is not an optimal situation, but it is what it is, and this is life.

Ya, the over reaching sounds good. Hold NOTHING back during those 2 weeks in the gym. Do every set to absolute failure, and then some.

But I wouldn’t remain inactive during your time in Paris. Doing body weight exercises is great for times like these. Think of this as a good time to get good at pistols and pullups :wink:

Also, you can bring with you (or buy one there) a jump rope. Great for conditioning!

[quote]forbes wrote:
But I wouldn’t remain inactive during your time in Paris. Doing body weight exercises is great for times like these. Think of this as a good time to get good at pistols and pullups :wink:

Also, you can bring with you (or buy one there) a jump rope. Great for conditioning![/quote]

Right, I didn’t mean it to sound like I would be totally inactive once in Paris. I’ll continue to do whatever I can given the less than optimal setup.

And my jump rope is DEFINITELY coming with me on the next trip.

Anyone else have any ideas? Is the over-reaching the best idea given the situation?

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/499/

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/499/ [/quote]

Good stuff, thanks. I need to be more creative it appears.

[quote]oneforship wrote:
Anyone else have any ideas? Is the over-reaching the best idea given the situation?[/quote]

I would say yes. If it were me, I’d probably on a 3-way split: chest, shoulders, triceps on Day 1; back and bi’s on Day 2; then legs on Day 3 and train non-stop for the 2 weeks your home. Then do whatever body weight stuff you can in Paris.

Where there’s a will there’s a way.

Best,

Dr Clay

Find a gym in Paris?

[quote]oneforship wrote:
I’ve got a bit of a dilemma here. My job is taking me to Paris for 2-3 weeks at a time. My only access to any kind of weightlifting here is BW exercises, or whatever I can rig up with my suitcase in my hotel room. The hotel gym is going through renovations, and all they have are some cardio machines.

Since I’m going to be able to return to the States for 1 to 2 weeks at a time during this, I’m wondering if I might be able to structure my schedule for a planned effort at overtraining during that time? I know there is some theory behind this, i.e. Poliquin’s super-accumulation, but I’m wondering if anyone has had any success doing this?

Basically, since I go 2 to 3 weeks without any access to weights, I want to figure out the absolute best way to make the best of those 2 weeks I get with a gym. Would this be worth a shot?

Also, does anyone think there would be any bad side effects to repeating the planned overtraining each time I returned home? (essentially 2 overtraining cycles every 3 months, with BW and whatever I can do in between)

Food and rest really won’t be issues for recovery, so I don’t think those should be the limiting factors.

Thoughts? Does anyone have any better suggestions?[/quote]

Do it ~ though I’d be skeptical about your ability to overtrain.

[quote]kinein wrote:
Do it ~ though I’d be skeptical about your ability to overtrain.
[/quote]

It’s more about the attempt to overtrain during that 2 week period than actually achieving the state of being overtrained.

I’m still pretty young and played sports/trained all through college, so my threshold is probably pretty high. The goal is to try and push that limit. The success of the attempt doesn’t necessarily rely on ACTUALLY overtraining, but just putting the body through an amount of stress it isn’t used to and forcing adaptation with the limited time I have with the weights.

I find it hard to believe Paris doesn’t have a gym you could get to.

Otherwise, 2 a days. Learn to love them.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I find it hard to believe Paris doesn’t have a gym you could get to.

Otherwise, 2 a days. Learn to love them.[/quote]

They have gyms, but a)out of my budget, and b)not open 24 hours (unusual when I don’t work a 15+ hour day).

You can do it, but the key of this is feeling sick after each session. If you feel powerful, you’re doing something wrong. Most people are too pussy to overtrain, but self inducted overtraining is even more weird, independent from the pussy variable.