Overtraining Theory

Yeah…

Before you criticize this guy too much (although I’m not really going to try to defend him because I don’t know anything about the guy or what he knows/thinks), definitly consider what buffalo just said. Over-reaching is a short termed overfatigue of either the CNS or metabolic systems as a result of too much stress, aka, too much intensity, too much volume, or too much of both. Overtraining is a chronic condition usually brought about by excessive over-reaching. The whole point of training is to force your body to adapt to stimulus. Short blocks over-reaching followed by proper recovery leads to great adaptative gains. So the problem is not neccesarily doing way too much volume. The problem is doing way too much volume for too long of a time. I think that is what beginners/novices (which I certainly am) usually miss. Shocking your system with excessive stress (provided you don’t over-reach so much you put yourself at excessive injury risk) for 3-4 weeks, followed by 1-2 weeks of drastically reduced intensity and/or volume is a very successful method practiced by very successful coaches, our own CT among them.

Again, I’m not neccesarily trying to defend the lintmeister, but also don’t totally throw the contents of his message out the window.

yea, this is funny. the day he registers he posts his muscle+fitness workout on here, doesnt like the response he gets from it, and immediately posts some whining crybaby bullshit. too fucking funny.

my suggestion:
either post some pics of yourself looking big and shredded, or go ahead and create another T-Nation account and post with a new name, because after whining the very same day you registered, no ones going to take you seriously. i mean for real, how are you going to post and ask people’s advice, and then whine about it? i would venture to say that i am not the only person on this site that started off doing those M+F workouts, they are really convincing when they put pictures of Gunter in there and say here, this is what he does to get big. but then when you come here and see all of the posts where people are talking about Chad Waterbury this and Christian Thibaudeau that, ranting about what wonders these coachs’, and others’, programs have done in their quest for size and strength–then you whine about the response that they give you? you act like they were intentionally giving you bad advice or something. wake up man, the only reason people are so quick to tell you you are overtraining is most likely because they did the same bullshit routine that you are doing a while back and they know that it didnt give them 10% of the gains that they have made using the programs here.

and i dont see how you immediately start a new thread defending your “high intensity, high volume” workout- which doesnt make sense but ill cover that in a minute- but how are you going to defend how it works for some people, as if it works for you? if it worked so well for you then why the hell would you post asking people to critique it? dipshit.

“high intesity, high volume”
intensity generally refers to % of your 1RM, so if you are working “high intensity” you’re working in a with loads that are i dunno, 75-80% of your 1RM. these are loads that you obviously can’t sit there and crank out your 12-10-8 bullshit with. please challenge me here. show me someone doing a high volume routine, consistently using 75-80% of their 1RM, and ill show you someone that 1) doesnt know their 1RM, 2)has very shitty form and should get a bed ready for themselves at the local ER, 3) is an idiot, 4) needs to be choked- and im talking bitch style like in FMJacket.
volume-
high volume would be something like the bullshit routine that you posted. you had a rep scheme of something like 12-10-8-6 if i remember that correctly, on some days 5 different exercises. 5x[4x(12+10+8+6)]= 720= tool. wait a minute, what am i thinking? someone that does 720 reps per workout, with 75-80% of their 1RM, is nothing short of amazing, and im very sorry to have made any statements that implied or suggested otherwise in any way, shape or form.

oh my god that was fun, thank you.

closing note: as for the proven scientific evidence for workouts and such: everyone’s body is different, in the length of certain bones, connective tissue, muscle origins/insertions, muscle fiber makeups, etc. the fact that something has significant scientific evidence is bullshit. the only proof we can ever count on in this game is looking right back at us in the mirror.

I don’t consider any of those magazines to be the paramount of training knowledge, nor am I interested in reading any of them…plus…like I said before…an elite level athlete with elite genetics and access to AAS is not someone to look to for training advice or emulation. Besides…have you seen the Cleveland Browns workouts now that Buddy Morris has left…OMG…what a joke. I guarantee you that a normal guy going through a 2 hour workout of nothing but negatives, forced reps, and high volume will overtrain…not simply overreach in the short-run. Also…most guys who psot their training on here are newbies looking for advice on the workout they got from their buddy at the gym…so yeah…i’m not surprised its too much volume for many of them.

[quote]MrBaseball0 wrote:
Why don’t you go pick up an SI or ESPN the Magazine or Sporting News. They have what football players do in the off season in there all the time. Such as they had a huge issue on TO and how hard he works out.
I do think a person can over train, depending on how old they are and such. But I don’t think that a person working out for an hour or two after work is going to over train.
The point I was making is that the guy is right in the fact that every time someone puts up a workout on this site, someone always says “your over training.”

WguitarG wrote:
So why don’t you enlighten us on a typical day for a pro athlete in say…football for instance…since you seem to know so much about the training regimen of pro athletes. Are you saying it’s impossible to overtrain by working out for 3 hours every day after work? BTW…normal people do not equal professional athletes. TSB.

MrBaseball0 wrote:
I agree with the guy, pro athletes train all the time and its not considered over training. So if your a normal person just working out after work, there is no way your over training.

[/quote]

Ungrateful asshole.

At the same time, if I had come on here three years ago and gotten so many negative responses, I wouldn’t understand it either. Unfortunately, it has really been ingrained into regular guys that they have to work out 5 days a week, different muscles every day, in order to get bigger and stronger.

Hell, it took me a while to understand the whole thing- but when I looked at one skinny bastard’s westside thread, where he started a westside routine and in a year completely transformed himself, I understood. Haven’t looked back since.

So if the original poster is still reading the thread, LISTEN!!! Because the shit works, and its proven. Disregard the 5 day, 2 hour a session workouts, and go to Vroom’s beginner thread, or the Foremans’ New to the Nation thread. You won’t regret it.

But posting whiny rants like this…well, it won’t get you anywhere.