T Nation

Overtraining Symptoms

I have just started lifting weights but am very fit because of a boxing and cardio class i have been taking twice a week for around a year.

But now that i have started lifting 3 tiems a week my body is in pain all the time and i dont know if i will gain mass.

I would stop the cardio and boxing class but i teach one adn i kind of have to take the other.

I was wondering what should i do to gain mass dispite these 2 classes. i was also wondering is lifting 3 times a week and this intense cardio considered overtraining for a beginner?

How long have you been lifting for? if this is week 2 then you will be quite sore. After a little while you won’t feel it nearly as much, and when you do it will be a good hurt.

its only been 7 or 8 weeks

You need to tell us what the training consists of diet wouldnt hurt either

Likely you just need time ti adjust

but that doesn’t mean some tweeking for the better cant take place

phill

Well let me start out im only 17 so i eat around every 2 hours or so cause im always starving. I weight 170 and am 5’10. That may sound heavy for someone who has only been lifting for 8 weeks but i am not fat.

My lifting routine is as follows

Monday-chest tri abs
tuesday- cardio and boxing (around 2.5 hours)
wednesday back bi forarms
thrusday- same as tuesday
friday- rest
saturday legs and shoulders
sunday rest

Everything is in the 6-10 rep range and 3 sets of 3-5 excersises per muscle group

I eat as much protein as possible and also eat alot of carbs. I try to avoid eating too much fat and try to cut out saturated fat.

I eat around 6-7 meals a day. I’m not too concerned about fat gain at the moment being that i want to gain around 10 pounds of muscle.

Any tweaking is greatly appreciated

Sounds like the diet side is OK. On the training, you need to go into more detail. What exercises, hown many sets, reps.

[quote]theflowjob wrote:
Well let me start out im only 17 so i eat around every 2 hours or so cause im always starving. I weight 170 and am 5’10. That may sound heavy for someone who has only been lifting for 8 weeks but i am not fat.

My lifting routine is as follows

Monday-chest tri abs
tuesday- cardio and boxing (around 2.5 hours)
wednesday back bi forarms
thrusday- same as tuesday
friday- rest
saturday legs and shoulders
sunday rest

Everything is in the 6-10 rep range and 3 sets of 3-5 excersises per muscle group

I eat as much protein as possible and also eat alot of carbs. I try to avoid eating too much fat and try to cut out saturated fat.

I eat around 6-7 meals a day. I’m not too concerned about fat gain at the moment being that i want to gain around 10 pounds of muscle.

Any tweaking is greatly appreciated[/quote]

The amount that you are training doesnt sound like you are overdueing it.
Are you getting enough sleep/rest other than your one day off? I would also suggest to try eating more quality protien and carbs as at 17 with that metabolism and your intense training schedule you are likely not getting enough.

As a beginner and your naturally high test levels at 17, with the right diet and proper amount of calories, 10-20 lbs should be attainable rather fast. I packed on a fairly solid 40lbs my first year of training at 17.
See Ya

Eat more. You’re probably not be eating enough to recover from your workouts.

How much protein are you getting? You probably want to be getting well over 200 grams of protein a day. Calorie wise make sure you are well uinto the 2000 calorie range

[quote]theflowjob wrote:
I weight 170 and am 5’10. That may sound heavy for someone who has only been lifting for 8 weeks but i am not fat.[/quote]

lol

ditto

What exactly should we tweak you haven’t told us anything?

You definitely need to check out vroom’s beginner thread.