T Nation

Overtraining on Doggcrapp?

Hey all,

I’m doing Doggcrapp training and I think I may have hit the beginnings of overtraining.

I can’t get enough sleep, I feel oddly uncomfortably all the time, like my nerves are ‘itchy’. I’m starting to feel depressed and really don’t want to go in to work, my sex drive is sporadic, just recently beginning to lag, and I’m hungry all the time, especially for crappy food.

I’ve been doing a DC blast (my first) for 4 weeks. My weights and reps are going up dramatically. Time for my first cruise?

[quote]wirewound wrote:
Hey all,

I’m doing Doggcrapp training and I think I may have hit the beginnings of overtraining.

I can’t get enough sleep, I feel oddly uncomfortably all the time, like my nerves are ‘itchy’. I’m starting to feel depressed and really don’t want to go in to work, my sex drive is sporadic, just recently beginning to lag, and I’m hungry all the time, especially for crappy food.

I’ve been doing a DC blast (my first) for 4 weeks. My weights and reps are going up dramatically. Time for my first cruise?[/quote]

I would say
dont deviate from your diet .stay spot on with that regardless of your cravings.

I like to take a couple days off between routines (doing it now) so that I can recoupe.

maybe yes your first cruise is in order or maybe just take a couple days for yourself a nice weekend.

taking time off is not bad like people think,but listen to your body after all no one else will.

Trouble sleeping is a factor of overtraining?

If you are hungry, eat. If you are sleepy, sleep.

I am not an expert, but I don’t think it is over training. If you are doing the 3X week DC, I don’t see how you can over train.

I just saw that this is in the Beginner Forum.

DC is not for beginners.

[quote]Damner wrote:
Trouble sleeping is a factor of overtraining?[/quote]

when I started overtraining yes.
but now that I am back into the swing of things its kind of hard to overtrain anymore

I had an uneasy feeling and had them lay there and stair at the ceiling type nights.

when it got more and more of those nights than when I was actually sleeping I tok a couple days off and rested and then I was better.

that and when you do sleep you can sleep for 10 hours and feel like you only had like 3 hours sleep.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

I am not an expert, but I don’t think it is over training. If you are doing the 3X week DC, I don’t see how you can over train.

[/quote]

What if he just can’t sleep…pills?

[quote]Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:

What if he just can’t sleep…pills?[/quote]

If I read it right, he said he couldn’t get enough sleep. Not that he couldn’t get to sleep.

I would highly recommend ZMA and Z-12 though, if getting to sleep is a problem.

If you are posting this question in the beginners forum, then you need 3-5 more years of heavy training before you should think about DC.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:

If I read it right, he said he couldn’t get enough sleep. Not that he couldn’t get to sleep.

I would highly recommend ZMA and Z-12 though, if getting to sleep is a problem. [/quote]

I need those more than anyone else in this site, sleep and i just don’t get along I’m like a fucking insomniac can’t you tell how moody i am lol. I sound like a looney…anyway what are those things? I’m very interested.

[quote]Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:

I need those more than anyone else in this site, sleep and i just don’t get along I’m like a fucking insomniac can’t you tell how moody i am lol. I sound like a looney…anyway what are those things? I’m very interested.[/quote]

Browse through the Biotest store. Z-12 helps you fall asleep, ZMA makes sleeping fun.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
If you are posting this question in the beginners forum, then you need 3-5 more years of heavy training before you should think about DC.[/quote]

I have ten years total training experience, with some times when I’d go more than a month without training. I post in the beginner’s forum because I feel like I still have a lot to learn.

I’m certainly a beginner to Doggcrapp.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:

I need those more than anyone else in this site, sleep and i just don’t get along I’m like a fucking insomniac can’t you tell how moody i am lol. I sound like a looney…anyway what are those things? I’m very interested.

Browse through the Biotest store. Z-12 helps you fall asleep, ZMA makes sleeping fun. [/quote]

I take both Z-12 and ZMA. They help my sleep become better quality sleep. Sometimes I only get 6 hours of sleep because I work two or three 12 hour night shifts in a row.

Oh wow i think my level is about to go up in flames. I’m in love with Z-12, i didn’t think T-Nation would carry something like that. i have a appointment with my doc in a few weeks from now i’m gonna wait to hear what he’s gotta say about my insomnia. But i think i’ll get Z-12 if doesnt recomend something that will knock me out in in less than 30 mins.

[quote]wirewound wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Browse through the Biotest store. Z12 helps you fall asleep, ZMA makes sleeping fun.

I take both Z-12 and ZMA. They help my sleep become better quality sleep. Sometimes I only get 6 hours of sleep because I work two or three 12 hour night shifts in a row.
[/quote]
Lack of sleep is like a blow to the guts it will stop you right in your tracks.

[quote]Damner wrote:
wirewound wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Browse through the Biotest store. Z12 helps you fall asleep, ZMA makes sleeping fun.

I take both Z12 and ZMA. They help my sleep become better quality sleep. Sometimes I only get 6 hours of sleep because I work two or three 12 hour night shifts in a row.

Lack of sleep is like a blow to the guts it will stop you right in your tracks.[/quote]

Well, I can’t stop working. I’m an RN - 12 hour shifts are pretty much what’s available.

[quote]wirewound wrote:
Damner wrote:
wirewound wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:
Damner wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Browse through the Biotest store. Z-12 helps you fall asleep, ZMA makes sleeping fun.

Lack of sleep is like a blow to the guts it will stop you right in your tracks.

Well, I can’t stop working. I’m an RN - 12 hour shifts are pretty much what’s available.[/quote]

DO you work 3 12’s a week? Or do they have you working a bunch of overtime?

Back to the training aspect: You have been training for 10 years, no?

How many of those years, specifically the more recent ones, have you been moving heavy weight? I’m not going to put a number on what heavy is, but in only 4 weeks of DC (12 training sessions - 6 of both A and B) I can’t see how you would be overtrained.

It really sounds more like a rest/nutrition issue. Try eating whatever you are hungry for whenever you get hungry. Get your protein in, but eat like a pregnant woman.

You say may only be able to get 6 hours of sleep in on the days you work. Try taking naps on your off days.

DC requires you to eat and rest. The program will not work if you can’t do plenty of both.

But that’s just my 2 cents.

[quote]rainjack wrote:

DO you work 3 12’s a week? Or do they have you working a bunch of overtime?

Back to the training aspect: You have been training for 10 years, no?

How many of those years, specifically the more recent ones, have you been moving heavy weight? I’m not going to put a number on what heavy is, but in only 4 weeks of DC (12 training sessions - 6 of both A and B) I can’t see how you would be overtrained.

It really sounds more like a rest/nutrition issue. Try eating whatever you are hungry for whenever you get hungry. Get your protein in, but eat like a pregnant woman.

You say may only be able to get 6 hours of sleep in on the days you work. Try taking naps on your off days.

DC requires you to eat and rest. The program will not work if you can’t do plenty of both.

But that’s just my 2 cents. [/quote]

Heavy weight? I’d been neglecting legs - only doing squats two or three times a week and not pushing much weight.

My bench was at about 245 for 4-6. My pullups were BW (200lbs)+45-60 lbs for six reps. I’m sorta unbalanced, but DC is really straightening that out. My squat is at least starting to rival my bench. I was sort of in an exercise rut. Push/Pull was working for me (with the exception of my legs)…but I plateaued and then did a very brief (three weeks-month) diet down and cut.

Then I started DC and now I’m out of my rut. My appetite is WAY up…All my weights and/or reps have been making big jumps up.

It’s probably work. Nursing is stressful, I’m moving in two weeks (I’m a travel RN and move every 3-6 months). My diet has gotten sloppier and I’m eating crappier food (occasional fast food). I called in sick today to try to catch up on sleep and good eating - and I have some moving stuff to take care of.

It’s funny you bring up overtime - I signed up for extra days the last two weeks.

[quote]wirewound wrote:

I’ve been doing a DC blast (my first) for 4 weeks. My weights and reps are going up dramatically. Time for my first cruise?[/quote]

Your weights are reps are going up dramatically? Then you are DEFIANTLY not over training. But if you haven’t been squatting and deadlifting for over two years, you should not be doing DoggCrapp.

As far as I can tell, the less you think while doing DC Training, the better off you are. Dante has already done all the hard thinking for you. All you need to do is follow his directions, choose good exercises, and bust your ass. Just trust in his genius and all the success others have had on DC. And if you’re following his directions, (someone correct me if I’m wrong) you don’t cruise for at least another 4 weeks.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
wirewound wrote:

I’ve been doing a DC blast (my first) for 4 weeks. My weights and reps are going up dramatically. Time for my first cruise?

Your weights are reps are going up dramatically? Then you are DEFIANTLY not over training. But if you haven’t been squatting and deadlifting for over two years, you should not be doing DoggCrapp.

As far as I can tell, the less you think while doing DC Training, the better off you are. Dante has already done all the hard thinking for you. All you need to do is follow his directions, choose good exercises, and bust your ass. Just trust in his genius and all the success others have had on DC. And if you’re following his directions, (someone correct me if I’m wrong) you don’t cruise for at least another 4 weeks.
[/quote]

I’ve been squatting continuously, just not putting up big weight lately (knee issues and my form got some corrections recently that helped tremendously). Deadlifts I haven’t been doing (until DC). I have been doing rack-pulls. I’ve been doing all the other multi-joint lifts though - squats, presses, pullups. As much as I was having issues, I just couldn’t bring myself to leave squats out of my lifts.

I thought a blast was 6-8 weeks. Cruise is 11-14 days?