Overtraining, Blood Pressure, & Catecholamines?

Hi folks! I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, but given that it relates to an over 35 lifter, here goes…

simply put, has anyone heard, read, or experienced anything regarding whether or not overtraining can lead to a resting blood pressure spike?

I recall reading recently that overtraining can lead to a general spike in blood catecholamines, and a spike in resting heart rate, but so far nothing regarding blood pressure. The blood pressure of the person in question has always been on the healthy & low end of the scale (resting average rate in the range of 110/60, pulse rate ~50). Current blood pressure range is now around 150/80 to 165/87, but the resting pulse rate is still in the low 50’s on average.

The person in question has been weight training 6 days a week, which is a doubling of his previous weight training. I would say intensity of overall weight training is up, too – most notably in a significant shortening of between-set rest periods.

There have been no injuries, but I have noticed that this person has made a few comments regarding that ‘black mood’ that sometimes (in my experience) accompanies overtraining.

He’ll be seeing a doc within a week, but given that most physicians really don’t know anything about overtraining, I wanted to find out if anyone here has seen or experienced anything similar.

How old is this person?

You do realize that HTN is not always an environmental cause, skinny, healthy people get Hypertension.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
How old is this person?

You do realize that HTN is not always an environmental cause, skinny, healthy people get Hypertension. [/quote]

I’m aware of that.

Given the correlation in time with a person who has never had any history of hypertension, and the lack of information on overtraining in general, I thought it would be worth checking if anyone had experienced an acute spike in resting BP during a period of overtraining.

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
How old is this person?

You do realize that HTN is not always an environmental cause, skinny, healthy people get Hypertension. [/quote]

I’m aware of that.

Given the correlation in time with a person who has never had any history of hypertension, and the lack of information on overtraining in general, I thought it would be worth checking if anyone had experienced an acute spike in resting BP during a period of overtraining.[/quote]
There have been a few guys on here that have experienced some of that, however I do not remember if it was related to over training or some underlying medical cause. As in kidney issues etc.

Honestly I think the over training is a “fad” in a sense, but Im old and kind of view things in a different light.

we were told to keep track of our resting heart rate. to take it first thing in the morning upon waking (before standing up). that over time we would notice how variable ours was and start to learn the sorts of things affecting it. and then the thing to do was watch for it increasing a lot if a training cycle was getting intense…

MOST people who fuss about ‘overtraining’ would be better to fuss about underrecovery. most people don’t get anywhere near close to overtraining and most people don’t get anywhere near close to the genetic limits of their potential, either. do you think your client is doing that? starting to outmax their genetic potential? Is he really working that hard? really?

you gotta TRAIN your body to force it to adapt for sure… but that isn’t overtraining. that is just training.

we got told to watch out for resting heart rate over 90 in particular. that sometimes that was used as a measure of overtraining. fwiw. we weren’t given an age thing on that… and i wouldn’t actually believe a bar of what they said anyways…

oh, i’m sorry you said pressure not rate. just ignore me :slight_smile:

[quote]alexus wrote:
oh, i’m sorry you said pressure not rate. just ignore me :-)[/quote]
Lol, but that is still a good measurement to a point. How much caffeine and what is the calorie/hydration intake will effect HR and BP.

Also your points was my thoughts exactly.