Oversized Ass on a Skinny Guy

hey ive been lurking around here for quite a while, finally registered an account. Anyway, im 6"4 “easy-hard gainer” type, 183lbs, been lifting for about a year now. Only started doing squats about 3 months ago(about the time ive been initiated to this site) and my ass really exploded. Ive had a slight anterior tilt since early childhood and my ass was sticking out a lil pretty much all the time, but squats really pushed it seems.

I’ve been also trying to correct the anterior tilt with strenghtening my hams and abs(I emphasize on deadlifts). But still, its like whatever I do, i often have slight soreness in my glutes, even after a day of pushups(feet elevated). Im not an insecure type of guy usually, but this thing has been really bugging me for last month or so.

Did squats with my heels elevated today and it seems like a good idea(i really feel my quads doing the work). Also thinking about not squeezing your buttcheeks together when you straighten out during deadlift.

[quote]Drivethruhero wrote:
hey ive been lurking around here for quite a while, finally registered an account. Anyway, im 6"4 “easy-hard gainer” type, 183lbs, been lifting for about a year now. Only started doing squats about 3 months ago(about the time ive been initiated to this site) and my ass really exploded. Ive had a slight anterior tilt since early childhood and my ass was sticking out a lil pretty much all the time, but squats really pushed it seems.

I’ve been also trying to correct the anterior tilt with strenghtening my hams and abs(I emphasize on deadlifts). But still, its like whatever I do, i often have slight soreness in my glutes, even after a day of pushups(feet elevated). Im not an insecure type of guy usually, but this thing has been really bugging me for last month or so.

Did squats with my heels elevated today and it seems like a good idea(i really feel my quads doing the work). Also thinking about not squeezing your buttcheeks together when you straighten out during deadlift.[/quote]

I think this is a good idea. Many BB pro and amateur have cut squats and DL’s completely out of their programs because of they thicken up trunk and ass. Bob Chicherillo is one such guy. He’s not into squats at all. Keep in mind this is coming from a bodybuilding perspective not a strength training one.

[quote]Drivethruhero wrote:

Did squats with my heels elevated today and it seems like a good idea(i really feel my quads doing the work). Also thinking about not squeezing your buttcheeks together when you straighten out during deadlift.[/quote]

Hi Drivethruhero, welcome to T-Nation. :slight_smile:

Personally, I’d tell you to stop doing conventional deads for a while until the rest of your leg musculature has caught up. Romanian deadlifts are fine as they tend to be more hamstring dominant, but I’d suggest keeping the weight relatively light and really focusing on form. And by form I don’t just mean that you look like pictures/videos of people doing the move, I also mean that you learn to do the move with your hamstrings. This means concentrating on contracting your hamstrings against the resistance rather than just going through the motions.

As far as squats go, first I’ll ask how you’re performing your squats? Are you doing a powerlifting style squat (knees not allowed to go over toes, emphasis on sitting back, stopping at parallel)? Or are you doing an olympic/or “Ass to Grass” (ATG) squat (knees allowed to track normally, sitting down between the legs, sitting down until the hamstrings touch the calves)?

If it’s the former, then realize that this is a “posterior chain” (glutes/hamstrings) dominant squat by nature. If you’re trying to minimize glute involvement, then do not do this type of squat. If it’s the later then try learning front squats. Or heck, why not learn front squats either way.

Front squats force you to keep a more upright torso position (which minimizes posterior chain involvement) and are (if done correctly) a quad dominant movement. In fact, squatting with your heels on a plate pretty much does the same thing as performing front squats.

In other words it forces your torso to stay more upright. If you were to lean forward, like a lot of people do when performing back squats (which brings the glues and hammies much more into play), you would fall forward. Really doing squats with your heels on the plate is just a way to help people with poor ankle flexibility keep their torsos more upright while at the same time allowing them to be able to get a full range of motion.

This is good. But, learning how to correctly front squat would be even better IMO. Not only will it give you all of the benefits of squatting with your heels on a plate, but it’ll also help you to gain better ankle mobility (which could prevent injury in the future).

Hope this helps.

Since you have such an anterior tilt, you get a deep glute stretch without having to even go deep into your ROM. I would also imagine your quads are suffering because of it.

What I would recommend is to start incorporating machine hack squats into your program and removing traditional squats and deadlifts, at least for awhile. If you start light with the machine hack squats and really work on keeping your heels down squeezing out of the hole with your quads, after awhile, you should be able to shift more emphasis and strength onto the quads, and since you are not leaning over as you would squatting or deadlifting, your glute contribution should be minimized.

If that doesnt work get a meat slicer and shave about 4 inches off the glutes.