T Nation

Overshooting a Program's Weight Increases

So far I’ve been doing Starting Strenght for a month and 2 weeks, everything has been going smoothly until now. But exercises like the Standing Military Press and Powercleans are becoming too difficult to complete the last 2 reps of the 3rd set. I have to actually catch the weight low on the power cleans during those last reps since shrugging properly is too difficult by now. And that is actually cheating…i think.

the same happens w/ SMP where i have to arch my back excessively on the last rep. this means that next week sessions is gonna be too heavy. Could this be bcuz i’m adding a little more weight that what the program calls for? Increaments of 2.5% of the weight should be added every week but for some excercises that means adding less than 5 lbs, how the hell do i add less than 5 lbs to a barbell? That’s why i’ve been adding 5lbs when i’m actually suposed to add less.

There are other options like platemates (1lb magnetic plates). Or, you could just add a 2.5 to one side and shift your grip over a bit to compensate.

Bottom line though: It’s unrealistic to expect to increase your loads by a particular percentage EVERY week. Accept the fact that some days you are strong and well rested, some days… not so much. Keep the big picture in mind. Also don’t forget that as you advance in poundage it gets much harder to increase the load. A beginner only has to add 5lbs to his 100lb max, an elite lifter has to add 25lbs to his 500lb max. BIG difference!

You could drop back 2 weeks and work up to the weight again. You should be able to break the barrier after those 2 weeks, in theory.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
There are other options like platemates (1lb magnetic plates). Or, you could just add a 2.5 to one side and shift your grip over a bit to compensate.

Bottom line though: It’s unrealistic to expect to increase your loads by a particular percentage EVERY week. Accept the fact that some days you are strong and well rested, some days… not so much. Keep the big picture in mind. Also don’t forget that as you advance in poundage it gets much harder to increase the load. A beginner only has to add 5lbs to his 100lb max, an elite lifter has to add 25lbs to his 500lb max. BIG difference![/quote]

Well that’s what the program has you doing increasing 2.5 % lb every week. And it’s by Rippetoe, who according to many ppl, is a great trainer. yeah i know adding weight gets increasingly hard as you advance but after you take into account it hasnt even been 6 months yet then i don’t know whats happening.

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
You could drop back 2 weeks and work up to the weight again. You should be able to break the barrier after those 2 weeks, in theory.[/quote]

I read something similar to what you are saying but it’s for a different program “Stronglift 5x5” for beginner and i’m doing 3x5. I dont really see how that’s gonna help, it seems weird.

I was thinking maybe i should just stick with this weight that causing me some trouble for a week or 2 i don’t know if that’s gonna work though. And i apologize to LiftSmart if this is what he meant when he told me to drop back on 2 weeks.

When something like this happens “early in the program”…

Check your diet? Are you eating enough? Are you eating the right foods?

Are you sleeping enough?

Damner… what LiftSmart said was correct. I believe Rippetoe also recommends that you drop the weights for a week or two if you have been stagnant for a while–AND your diet is in check.

I am currently in my second round of Rippetoe. It is typical to stall on the military press. I could also see how one would stall on the clean, due to its technical difficulty.

Lift Smart is correct about reducing the load - its called a deload. Whether 5x5 or 3x5, its the same terminology and methodology used to further your gains and prevent stalling. Stalling is your enemy. You want to progress.

Different people and different recovery abilities, I am a bit surprised you are stalling at only 6 weeks. Try doing a calorie increase and taking extra measures to get rest. Maybe even drop any accessory lifts for several weeks.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:

Are you sleeping enough?

Damner… what LiftSmart said was correct. I believe Rippetoe also recommends that you drop the weights for a week or two if you have been stagnant for a while–AND your diet is in check.[/quote]

seconded. especially diet.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:

Are you sleeping enough?

Damner… what LiftSmart said was correct. I believe Rippetoe also recommends that you drop the weights for a week or two if you have been stagnant for a while–AND your diet is in check.[/quote]

Right now my caloric intake is b/w 3300 and 3600 i never try to go over 4000. I eat fish once or twice a week and no junkfood is included on my diet, well unless whole wheat bread is considered junk food when you eat it more often than what’s needed.

I never consume less than 240 g protein but what has got me worried is the lack of sleep, I’m not sleeping appropiately sometimes i wake up really tired. Anyway what I’m gonna do is see how the next session goes and depending on the outcome i’ll just drop the weight even though i have no idea what that is.

[quote]TheDudeAbides wrote:
I am currently in my second round of Rippetoe. It is typical to stall on the military press. I could also see how one would stall on the clean, due to its technical difficulty.

Lift Smart is correct about reducing the load - its called a deload. Whether 5x5 or 3x5, its the same terminology and methodology used to further your gains and prevent stalling. Stalling is your enemy. You want to progress.

Different people and different recovery abilities, I am a bit surprised you are stalling at only 6 weeks. Try doing a calorie increase and taking extra measures to get rest. Maybe even drop any accessory lifts for several weeks.[/quote]

Hopefully what happened to me was just that i’m adding more weight than what the program calls for. I’m going to wait till friday to see how things go then if after that i have to deload then so be it. I don’t know how that goes though. And for accessory lifts i’m only doing chin-ups and dips 2x8, the rest is just what the program consist of.

When this happens, I usually do the amount of reps I can with good form and keep the weight until I can get all the planned sets/reps in.

[quote]Damner wrote:
LiftSmart wrote:
You could drop back 2 weeks and work up to the weight again. You should be able to break the barrier after those 2 weeks, in theory.

I read something similar to what you are saying but it’s for a different program “Stronglift 5x5” for beginner and i’m doing 3x5. I dont really see how that’s gonna help, it seems weird.
[/quote]

It’s called “deloading.” It’s pretty much required to do at some point no matter the program. You cannot keep working at your max every single week, or session. You’ll burn out.

Dropping the weight will allow your body to recover, while still giving you practice on the lifts.