Overpriced Powerlifting Meets

A little background on the topic, I’m currently 18 and living in Singapore and there’s only 2 powerlifting associations here(IPF and GPA). The registration cost for a meet usually range from somewhere around $100-$200 and that’s a little costly. I’ve read on T-Nation that you should compete in a meet as soon as you can so you can garner valuable experience and meet like minded people.

What should I do since I can’t really afford to participate in such meets? On a side note, am I the only one who think its ridiculous that a powerlifting(not exactly a big money making sport) meet registration fee can go as high as $200?

Start saving. You may also consider asking the meet promoter if he offers a student discount.

Have compete in USPA and SPF in 4 different states and have never paid over $100 not counting the once a year fed card. So not sure what fed you are looking at but there are cheaper.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Have compete in USPA and SPF in 4 different states and have never paid over $100 not counting the once a year fed card. So not sure what fed you are looking at but there are cheaper.[/quote]

Probably not that many federations in Singapore. Just gotta bite the bullet man. Save some money and do one every year.

I try and do one per year because by the time you enter, pay membership fees, food and travel, it’s a big money weekend. Honestly it’s the reason I don’t compete more often. If I didn’t have a family to take care of or a job that would afford me the luxury of doing it more, I would.

If you could get some local lifters around and just run a mock meet at the end of a cycle that might help get the competitive juices flowing.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:
I try and do one per year because by the time you enter, pay membership fees, food and travel, it’s a big money weekend. Honestly it’s the reason I don’t compete more often. If I didn’t have a family to take care of or a job that would afford me the luxury of doing it more, I would.

If you could get some local lifters around and just run a mock meet at the end of a cycle that might help get the competitive juices flowing. [/quote]

Ask your gym to run a meet. The student gym does bench press, full meets, and off lift competitions here periodically throughout the year