Overly Critical Calorie Counting

Alright… Not that I’m terribly worried about this, but it’s more out of curiosity’s sake - but I slam water all damn day. I probably generally have at least 10 32-oz water bottle’s worth of water.

Now in each one of these bottles, I include two Crystal Light (or other substitute) packets. Each one of these supposedly has 10 calories. No sugars - No carbs.

Guess I’m just curious if I should even worry about the calories in these… I just realize that if these actually ‘count,’ there’s at least 200 calories or so totally unaccounted for in my diet every day. Mostly in the evenings, too.

ANYWAY - I know this seems super nit-picky, but again, it’s more just out of curiosity than anything.

Crystal light has carbs/sugar. Maltodextrin listed as the first or second ingredient (At least in Canada).

So, theres negligible carbs in a serving but if you drink 10 packets a day, that 20 servings.

I get Lipton’s Iced Tea to go & Green Tea to go sachets. Sweetened with sucralose and ace-k, with actual green tea powder. Some of them have maltodextrin added but the Lemon Iced, Green packs and Mandarin Mango flavor do not.

And I believe the Wal-Mart brand has no carbs as well.

[quote]Evil1 wrote:
Crystal light has carbs/sugar. Maltodextrin listed as the first or second ingredient (At least in Canada).
So, theres negligible carbs in a serving but if you drink 10 packets a day, that 20 servings.
[/quote]

Yeah, I’m definitely not using the ones with carbs/sugars though. I guess I threw out the ‘Crystal Light’ name more as a reference point for what I was talking about. For instance, the Kool-Aid ones do say they have Meladextrin, but 0 g carbs and 0 g sugars.

That’s the labeling laws at work.

If something has less than .5 gm CHO/serving it can be labeled as having 0gm cho. And if it has less than 0.5 calorie per serve, it can be labeled as 0 calorie.

Where do you guess the 5 cals come from? Is there malic acid, maltitol, isomalt, sorbitol in the mix?
Those are all sugar alcohols, they all have a Glycemic effect and thus all effect blood sugar.

I recently gave up the artificial sweeteners – back at the start of January. I used to average about 70-100 OZ a day of diet pepsi, plus about 20 OZ of sugar free crystal light.

Since going off the phony sweets (I drink much more water, green tea, earl grey tea, and coffee now), I’ve found that I’ve been able stick to my clean eating plan more reliably and no need for cheat days/meals. I don’t crave the sweets like I used too either. May just be psychological, but I think it has helped me. Time will tell.

Unless there is a vagina on your tongue, why not go primal and keep the water…water. You are drinking enough water. The average American is dehydrated.

[quote]duhast234 wrote:
Unless there is a vagina on your tongue, why not go primal and keep the water…water. You are drinking enough water. The average American is dehydrated.[/quote]

Serially. I never understood you guys and your water flavorings. That’s weaksauce, as waylander would say.

you could squeeze lemon in your water if its that bad.