T Nation

Overlooked Veggies?

Personally, I feel like there are a lot of veggies that are highly overlooked. Of course there’s people that don’t enjoy the taste of them (SUCK IT UP!!!) and we have our old reliables - Broccoli, Cauliflower, etc. I was thinking, though, what are some of your most overlooked veggies?

My number 1 is definitely asparagus. About 27 calories per serving, 3 grams of protein per serving, and 5 carbohydrates make it a GREAT food for dieting/cutting sessions. Not only that, but it’s pretty filling stuff.

Other honorable mentions, IMO, include spinach, brussel sprouts, lima beans, green beans, and beets!

Anyone else?

all ligumes, and peppers. Broccoli is on top of my list though.

I’m not the biggest fan of veggies, but in an attempt to fill myself up when dieting (and avoiding any extra cals), I end up eating bags of lettuce, brocoli, and jars of pickles -lol

S

cabbage

I almost never hear anyone mention kale, chard, or beet greens, but they all go really well with steak when blanched and sauteed in olive oil with garlic and/or shallots.

Though I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, I’m completely convinced that rutabagas, parsnips, and celeriac are superior (in terms of nutrients) to the conventional potato. Even if they’re not healthier, they certainly taste better than potatoes - no matter what the preparation method.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I’m not the biggest fan of veggies, but in an attempt to fill myself up when dieting (and avoiding any extra cals), I end up eating bags of lettuce, brocoli, and jars of pickles -lol

S
[/quote]

Heh–I eat bowls full of pickle spears too, with extra cider vinegar to dip them in. Yummy.

Lol, I know there are some small amounts of cals/carbs in all veggies, but I’ve always been under the impression that green veggies took more work to process than they contained, so in essence, eat all you want, and dont count the numbers :slight_smile:

S

I’ve been eating yellow squash recently and found that I love it. Just steamed with some sea salt.
Veggies are my life saver when cutting.