Overhydration?

How can you tell if you are drinking too much water?

[quote]sarah1 wrote:
How can you tell if you are drinking too much water?

[/quote]

I believe that you start feeling queasy, nauseous, possibly to the point of throwing up. There can be damage to the body due to loss of electrolytes/salt. Probably the only times you are at risk (maybe somebody else can correct me) is when you just guzzle and guzzle water without having any salt. This may happen, say, during a long run or I have known people, over-reacting to the call to stay hydrated while doing MDMA, to have this happen at a rave.

Hopefully, someone else more knowledgeable of physiology than I will respond.

It isn’t so much drinking too much water that you have to worry about, it’s just not having enough salt. Salt got a bed rep years ago, but we now know it is essential to adrenal gland function. Some people won’t even drink water without added sea salt.

If you have to pee too much.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
If you have to pee too much.[/quote]

lol ya pretty much. It’s very hard to get too much water in but I’d say never go above 2 gallons a day at the max, no more than 1 gallon an hour. There is variables of course, like how much you sweat, etc. Some people have actually died from overhydration. I could look up the technical terms and explain it in Physiology language, but here is a simple version. Too much water and your cells burst then you die. Simple enough. lol

Gerdy

The symptoms of water intoxication are headache, muscular weakness, lack of concentration, poor memory, and loss of appetite.

For most people minus the elderly and those engaging in intense exercise should just drink when they are thirsty.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
The symptoms of water intoxication are headache, muscular weakness, lack of concentration, poor memory, and loss of appetite.

For most people minus the elderly and those engaging in intense exercise should just drink when they are thirsty.[/quote]

Well actually, you are already dehydrated by the time you are thirsty.

[quote]Zagman wrote:

For most people minus the elderly and those engaging in intense exercise should just drink when they are thirsty.[/quote]

Weehehe. I’m being a Troll here.

But you just described an old Vegan.