T Nation

Overhead Supports

Hey again CT.

Have you ever used overhead snatch grip supports (or clean grip) from the BOTTOM position? I have always done the power variations for the movements and lack strength and comfortability in the bottom position. Also do you think doing them from the bottom position PERFECTLY would improve mobility, granted you can get into the proper position?

How would you use these during training days for the lifts? Before you begin practicing them?

It is very hard to get into that position (bottom position from pins). And you wouldn’t be very strong anyway. If you want to improve strength in the full snatch position, might as well to overhead squats with a 3-5 seconds pause in the bottom position

Hi CT,

I have been looking recently at trying to get some overhead supports in my program but struggle with fitting them in. I am currently doing the push press max ramp method on 1 day and was wondering if i could get this support work in by holding the press in the top position with the support technique for 2/3 seconds on the 3-5 rep sets inbetween ramps?

Many Thanks

[quote]Hull2012 wrote:
Hi CT,

I have been looking recently at trying to get some overhead supports in my program but struggle with fitting them in. I am currently doing the push press max ramp method on 1 day and was wondering if i could get this support work in by holding the press in the top position with the support technique for 2/3 seconds on the 3-5 rep sets inbetween ramps?

Many Thanks[/quote]

Sure, I remember an old article by Dan John explaining how his olympic lifting coach had him old every lift overhead for 2-3 seconds to strengthen the overhead position.