Overhead Squats

[quote]GHOSTrun wrote:
I like overhead squats :)[/quote]

Clean grip? Wow…

[quote]lbh110 wrote:
undeadlift are you talking lbs or kgs? If i recall correctly you’re a newbie and trying to dunk right?[/quote]

Pounds. :frowning:

Overhead squat from training not so long ago, poor compared to weightlifters, but strong and rare compared to the ordinary gym rat. Overall a nice exercise. Very challenging.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
lbh110 wrote:
undeadlift are you talking lbs or kgs? If i recall correctly you’re a newbie and trying to dunk right?

Pounds. :([/quote]

That would be sick if it were in Kilos. But at a 190 BkSq a 80 kg OH sq would be light.

Either way I’m sure you’ll shoot from 190 to like 315 in no time. Esp if you do leg work at least 3 times per week.

-chris

[quote]StonesAreFun wrote:
So the general consensus is that unless your squat is weak these aren’t gonna help the wheels very much? More of a stability/core exercise?[/quote]

Pretty much

[quote]Avocado wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
lbh110 wrote:
undeadlift are you talking lbs or kgs? If i recall correctly you’re a newbie and trying to dunk right?

That would be sick if it were in Kilos. But at a 190 BkSq a 80 kg OH sq would be light.

Either way I’m sure you’ll shoot from 190 to like 315 in no time. Esp if you do leg work at least 3 times per week.

-chris[/quote]

Yeah, stability plays a big role in overhead squats. Your back squat may shoot up by hundreds of pounds, but the carryover is minimal to overhead squats.

190 to 315? That would be amazing for a guy who couldn’t squat 80 when he started. Either case, I’ll be trying a leg spec cycle in January and see what happens.

[quote]Avocado wrote:
Great thread. OH squats for the win. My goal is to OH Sq 100 kg by this time next year for a triple.

Just made that goal now.

-chris[/quote]

Thats a bad ass total. Pause the rep so you get no stretch reflex action going on!

I wonder what I could do? I’ve only ever OHS 85Kg for 3 or 4reps and I was battered. I have Snatched 116Kg but getting up feels a lot easier then slowly moving down in the OHS!

I may do 100kg OHS? I’ll test after comp in 2 weeks time. It would be nice to OHS 100kg for 3reps :D.

Back Squat is 180Kg
Front Squat 152Kg
OHS 85kg for 3reps
Snatc 116Kg
C&J 142Kg.

My coach has never seen it appropiate for me to OHS with a lot of weight. If I can get under it I am going to get up with it. If you squat strictly on your back and front squats the OHS isn’t too difficult to do.

Another ‘Bench Mark’ I saw was bw OHS for 15reps! Rack up your weight on a bar and then do 15reps! That would be TOUGH!

Koing

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Avocado wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
lbh110 wrote:

-chris

Yeah, stability plays a big role in overhead squats. Your back squat may shoot up by hundreds of pounds, but the carryover is minimal to overhead squats.

190 to 315? That would be amazing for a guy who couldn’t squat 80 when he started. Either case, I’ll be trying a leg spec cycle in January and see what happens.[/quote]

I’m not so sure mate. 190 to 315lbs! I’d say at least 2yrs unless you only worked on getting a jacked up squat.

87Kg to 143kg is 56Kg increase. Maybe 18months of solid training and it depends if your a beginner. Even then 56kg in 18months is impressive. Either way train hard and you will get it :slight_smile:

Also how much do you weigh? Thats a factor for gaining strength.

Koing

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Avocado wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
lbh110 wrote:

-chris

190 to 315? That would be amazing for a guy who couldn’t squat 80 when he started. Either case, I’ll be trying a leg spec cycle in January and see what happens.[/quote]

Dude you can totally pull off 190 to 315 in a few years, as a novice you should be making nice consistent gains, no real need for periodization… keep an eye on how you progress don’t over train don’t undertrain just keep slappin weights on the bar even if you buy a set of 1/2lb plates

[quote]Koing wrote:
I’m not so sure mate. 190 to 315lbs! I’d say at least 2yrs unless you only worked on getting a jacked up squat.

87Kg to 143kg is 56Kg increase. Maybe 18months of solid training and it depends if your a beginner. Even then 56kg in 18months is impressive. Either way train hard and you will get it :slight_smile:

Koing[/quote]

That was what I was thinking too. 190 to 315 is a really long shot. My real goal though is 405, even if it takes me 5-10 years.

I’m a 5’7 ectomorph who weighs 150 (started at 120). I’d like to gain more weight, but my doctor recommends losing it considering I have a BP problem.

[quote]GHOSTrun wrote:
I like overhead squats :)[/quote]

Pretty impressive with that narrow grip.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
GHOSTrun wrote:
I like overhead squats :slight_smile:

Pretty impressive with that narrow grip.[/quote]

No kidding, I was extremely surprised he was holding the bar like that. Probably would be safer if he widened it up.

[quote]DanErickson wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
GHOSTrun wrote:
I like overhead squats :slight_smile:

Pretty impressive with that narrow grip.

No kidding, I was extremely surprised he was holding the bar like that. Probably would be safer if he widened it up.[/quote]

Maybe so, but it appears that it ain’t broken.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
The looks from other commercial gym-goers is pretty funny too.[/quote]

Exactly. I love the looks on their faces when I am doing Oly lifts, OH Squats, etc and full body workouts.

You know what they are thinking: “Why isn’t this guy doing isolation exercises?” “Doesn’t he know that you are supposed to do upper body one day and lower body another?” However, I was shocked the other day when one guy actually came over and asked where I had got my Oly lifting shoes at, because he would like to start doing some Oly lifts. Miracles happen!

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

That was what I was thinking too. 190 to 315 is a really long shot. My real goal though is 405, even if it takes me 5-10 years.

I’m a 5’7 ectomorph who weighs 150 (started at 120). I’d like to gain more weight, but my doctor recommends losing it considering I have a BP problem.[/quote]

You can definately get 315lbs in 18-24months. I’m not going to say it is ‘easy’ as it isn’t going to be! To back squat 315lbs @ 150lbs! Or even if you weigh more it is always going to be near 2x bw. But with consistent training you can do it :slight_smile:

My bros 70kg and can do 3reps @ 145kg for 5sets but he’s a power house and has been training for 7yrs but on and off for the past 4yrs. But at least does half the year. You will not find many guys able to triple 2x bw for 5sets in the same session! I’m quite a long way off 2x bw for 3reps x5set! Probably one set, maybe 2 as I’ve done 167.5kg for 3reps but then I’d be finished.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

I’m a 5’7 ectomorph who weighs 150 (started at 120). I’d like to gain more weight, but my doctor recommends losing it considering I have a BP problem.

You can definately get 315lbs in 18-24months. I’m not going to say it is ‘easy’ as it isn’t going to be! To back squat 315lbs @ 150lbs! Or even if you weigh more it is always going to be near 2x bw. But with consistent training you can do it :slight_smile:

My bros 70kg and can do 3reps @ 145kg for 5sets but he’s a power house and has been training for 7yrs but on and off for the past 4yrs. But at least does half the year. You will not find many guys able to triple 2x bw for 5sets in the same session! I’m quite a long way off 2x bw for 3reps x5set! Probably one set, maybe 2 as I’ve done 167.5kg for 3reps but then I’d be finished.

Koing[/quote]
Are you serious?

I am working towards squatting 2x bw for 20 reps, I am 15kg away from it currently - well in theory I prolly won’t cos along the way I hope to gain a few kg’s of muscle heh ;P~

:slight_smile:

[quote]GHOSTrun wrote:
Koing wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

Koing
Are you serious?

I am working towards squatting 2x bw for 20 reps, I am 15kg away from it currently - well in theory I prolly won’t cos along the way I hope to gain a few kg’s of muscle heh ;P~

[/quote]

Well either way, I wasn’t born with either of you guys’ genetics. I need to work a lot harder and longer to get to 315, especially since my gym has no squat rack.

Anyway, I think it’s pretty sick that some Chinese oly lifters can overhead squat more than they can front squat. I mean is it actually possible from a biomechanical standpoint?

Last week I got 185#'s for 1 at a bodyweight of 193#'s. The only OHS work I’d been doing for the last few months was warming up a little and snatches and snatch balances. My previous best was 155 or 165 and that was almost a year ago at a simliar bodyweight.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
I mean is it actually possible from a biomechanical standpoint?[/quote]

From a biomechanical standpoint, yes. I read that as a caption in the chinese weightlifter pic post a few months back. It makes sense because your hips are actually allowed to move back and then forward to seek the best spot for leverage.

My guess though is that the level of skill and technique required to display such a powerful OH squat is nothing short of rediculous. I mean, if you learned to OH squat around the time you learned to walk, and you did it almost as much… You’d be pretty good at it too.

About your squat, I went from lifting 200 to 350 (lbs)in less than a year. However, I weigh about 230, so that may or may not be realistic for you. Good luck, though.

[quote]GHOSTrun wrote:
Koing wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Koing wrote:

Koing

Koing
Are you serious?

[/quote]

Being serious about what? My bros lifts? Yes I’m serious. He’s ranked 3rd in GB and only trains 3x a week and not all year around. Only for the Nationals he’ll train for 6-8 weeks before it.

2x bw for 20reps? f0ck me! I don’t think I’ve seen anyone do that ATG. Bro could probably bust out 6reps and be finished…

Koing