Overhead Squats for Biceps?

I noticed that OH Squats make my biceps sore as hell. Then I remembered a little tidbit that I read back a few months ago:
[i]

T-Nation: Wait a sec, these guys with the killer biceps don’t do barbell and dumbbell curls?

Sommer: No, not a single one! In fact, their amazing biceps development isn’t the result of any kind of curling movement at all, but primarily due to the straight arm leverage work which they do on the still rings.

The straight-arm work is enormously difficult and puts tremendous strain on the biceps resulting in incredible growth. The key to success is being able to approach these exercises in a safe progressive manner.

[/i]

Go Figure, I believe Overhead Squats do quite the same objective. And of course in a safe progressive manner.

I think its the same with one handed barbell snatches. People say if your biceps hurt your pulling with your arms, but the strain of stablizing over head is brutal on the entire body including the biceps.

My shoulder is always the limitng factor for me. I have been doing these a lot recently and the more weight I add (to a certain point, obviously) the easier they are. The weight forces you down. Have you experienced this? I bet DJ has written something about this.

yeah i experience the same. it’s pretty high tension and more time under tension. the wider my grip-i go out to the collars- and more i pull the bar apart and let the weight lock in behind my head/over my tail the more i feel it in the biceps.

[quote]swivel wrote:
yeah i experience the same. it’s pretty high tension and more time under tension. the wider my grip-i go out to the collars- and more i pull the bar apart and let the weight lock in behind my head/over my tail the more i feel it in the biceps.[/quote]

Yea that’s exactly what it is tearing the bar apart… I’m about 2in away from the collars.

My Biceps usually get somewhat sore after doing kettlebell snatches. They get WICKEDLY sore if I haven’t done them for a while.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
I noticed that OH Squats make my biceps sore as hell. Then I remembered a little tidbit that I read back a few months ago:
[i]

T-Nation: Wait a sec, these guys with the killer biceps don’t do barbell and dumbbell curls?

Sommer: No, not a single one! In fact, their amazing biceps development isn’t the result of any kind of curling movement at all, but primarily due to the straight arm leverage work which they do on the still rings.

The straight-arm work is enormously difficult and puts tremendous strain on the biceps resulting in incredible growth. The key to success is being able to approach these exercises in a safe progressive manner.

[/i]

Go Figure, I believe Overhead Squats do quite the same objective. And of course in a safe progressive manner.[/quote]

I think that quote was referring more to the stress provided by trying to hold up your body weight when the arms are outstretched at the sides, along with being strong enough to get you in position for many of those gymnastic movements. Overhead squats would put little stress on the biceps aside from getting the weight in position to begin with. With the arms locked out overhead, your triceps and shoulder would take over as far as balance.

I think compound movements are great for overall mass, however, genetics play a huge role in biceps mass and peak. I never had much of a problem getting my arms to grow from direct work. Because of that, I am reluctant to tell someone to avoid all direct biceps training. It just doesn’t make much sense to me.

overhead squats are good for core training as well

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
[i]

[/i]

Go Figure, I believe Overhead Squats do quite the same objective. And of course in a safe progressive manner.

I think that quote was referring more to the stress provided by trying to hold up your body weight when the arms are outstretched at the sides, along with being strong enough to get you in position for many of those gymnastic movements. Overhead squats would put little stress on the biceps aside from getting the weight in position to begin with. With the arms locked out overhead, your triceps and shoulder would take over as far as balance.

I think compound movements are great for overall mass, however, genetics play a huge role in biceps mass and peak. I never had much of a problem getting my arms to grow from direct work. Because of that, I am reluctant to tell someone to avoid all direct biceps training. It just doesn’t make much sense to me.[/quote]

I think biceps are just my weak link… i added in some curls now

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
[i]

[/i]

I think compound movements are great for overall mass, however, genetics play a huge role in biceps mass and peak. I never had much of a problem getting my arms to grow from direct work. Because of that, I am reluctant to tell someone to avoid all direct biceps training. It just doesn’t make much sense to me.

I think biceps are just my weak link… i added in some curls now[/quote]

actually, you’ll get some legit biceps in overhead movements. one of the bis is also a shoulder abductor (dont know the name).

One of the heads of the biceps assists in shoulder flexion