T Nation

Overhead Pressing

Some of the guys over at elitefts are saying that the overhead press should never be used in a program, because it can do serious damage to the shoulders. How do you feel about this? On a personal note, i am a high school baseball player, who is looking to increase pitching speed. i have read some stuff on your website and it did talk some about pitching. I know that training legs and core for pitching would be pretty typical, but how exactly would you train the upper body? You said rows, rear delts flies, and external rotations would be used. Do you ever use pressing movements, or do you just train triceps directly? Is there anything else i should know about training upper body for pitching?

Your help would be greatly appreciated

Jon

you already gave an answer to the overhead pressing question, if you could help me out with the baseball thing it would be greatly appreciated

The legs and the core are definately the biggest areas of focus for my pitchers and quaterbacks.

As far as the upper body is concerned, my main focus is the lats/upper back, triceps and forearms/fingers. I mainly use dumbells due to the fact that most pitchers and quarterbacks have tremendous muscular imbalances in their upper extremities.

By the way, bench-pressing isn’t going to kill you either - especially if you’re a high school kid. You should be focusing on getting your entire body strong. I would suggest that when you bench-press, you use dumbells and a neutral grip. Also perform 2 lat/upper back exercises for every 1 chest exercise. Also, stretch your pecs and lats on your off days and 4-6 hours after upper body lifting days as well as days that you pitch.

Throw some heat, my man!

[quote]Joe DeFranco wrote:
The legs and the core are definately the biggest areas of focus for my pitchers and quaterbacks.

As far as the upper body is concerned, my main focus is the lats/upper back, triceps and forearms/fingers. I mainly use dumbells due to the fact that most pitchers and quarterbacks have tremendous muscular imbalances in their upper extremities.

By the way, bench-pressing isn’t going to kill you either - especially if you’re a high school kid. You should be focusing on getting your entire body strong. I would suggest that when you bench-press, you use dumbells and a neutral grip. Also perform 2 lat/upper back exercises for every 1 chest exercise. Also, stretch your pecs and lats on your off days and 4-6 hours after upper body lifting days as well as days that you pitch.

Throw some heat, my man![/quote]

agreed here, definitly should have overall strength you dont want to have just strong legs and back and then a flat chest or big arms and small chest haha, all is important!!! DONT NEGLECT

i like the idea of mostly dumbells i would imagine that pitching makes one arm stronger/whole side of body

If overhead pressing is so damaging to the shoulders, then why is it that I see and hear of more shoulder injuries from barbell benching vs overhead pressing?

Working all planes of movement is the key to staying injury free.

And as mentioned above, use dumbbells for most movements if you want to get both sides of your body stable.

[quote]gainera2582 wrote:
If overhead pressing is so damaging to the shoulders, then why is it that I see and hear of more shoulder injuries from barbell benching vs overhead pressing?

Working all planes of movement is the key to staying injury free.

And as mentioned above, use dumbbells for most movements if you want to get both sides of your body stable. [/quote]

Because so many people bench as opposed to overhead press. Both can be bad on the shoulders if you go overboard.

[quote]bignate wrote:
Joe DeFranco wrote:

By the way, bench-pressing isn’t going to kill you either - especially if you’re a high school kid. You should be focusing on getting your entire body strong.

I would suggest that when you bench-press, you use dumbells and a neutral grip. Also perform 2 lat/upper back exercises for every 1 chest exercise. Also, stretch your pecs and lats on your off days and 4-6 hours after upper body lifting days as well as days that you pitch.

Throw some heat, my man!

agreed here, definitly should have overall strength you dont want to have just strong legs and back and then a flat chest or big arms and small chest haha, all is important!!! DONT NEGLECT

i like the idea of mostly dumbells i would imagine that pitching makes one arm stronger/whole side of body[/quote]

Can I ask why the fuck you bumped a 4 year old thread just to agree with someone?

lol, got me thinking as well.

I just had to chime in on this one. I am past 50, been powerlifting for over 40 years. Overhead lifting is a staple of my training, always has and always will be. I go all my reps in front though and don’t do them behind the neck.

Strong healthy shoulders are important for any athlete and military presses are a great builder of shoulders supersetted with pull ups. I have an entire day in my program where I work the shoulders. If all you ever do is work the bench press then I can guarantee rotocuff surgery at some point in your career. Like the guy above said you have to work your shoulders from every plane. You have to stretch them also.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Can I ask why the fuck you bumped a 4 year old thread just to agree with someone?[/quote]

LOL the guy probably gave up baseball long ago and is half way through college already

On the Safety and Efficacy of Overhead Lifting, by Rippetoe, Kilgore, Starrett, et. al - March 08

crossfit.com/journal/library/67_08_Overhead_Lifting.pdf

HA! I saw DeFranco posted and I got all excited. Then I realized it was from 04 back when he was just getting started.

BTW, benching bothers my shoulders more than overheads if anyone gives a shit

Monopoly

^^^ Nah, we don’t care. :slight_smile:

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
Can I ask why the fuck you bumped a 4 year old thread just to agree with someone?

LOL the guy probably gave up baseball long ago and is half way through college already[/quote]

Ahhh, reality kicks in.

I played collegiate baseball… never never do any over head work, esp if you are a pitcher…

nm that is a super old thread, my bad

[quote]MrBaseball0 wrote:
I played collegiate baseball… never never do any over head work, esp if you are a pitcher…
[/quote]

Yet there you are, in your avatar, performing overhead work.

read anything by Eric Cressey.

he’s a pretty smart cookie and trains alot of baseball players.