Overhead Presses Work Shoulders?

I read an article by Mark Rippetoe saying presses work your anterior and posterior delts equally. Is this true? If so, would this mean an upper body pulling exercise is not needed since the shoulder girdle is balanced?

That’s not true for me. I doubt it’s true for most.

“Balancing the shoulder girdle” is far more complex than just training posterior delts. The upper, mid, and lower traps need to remain in balance, as do the serratus and rhomboids.

The shoulder is a very complex structure, and overhead pressing alone isn’t enough to keep everything in balance.

[quote]LoRez wrote:

“Balancing the shoulder girdle” is far more complex than just training posterior delts. The upper, mid, and lower traps need to remain in balance, as do the serratus and rhomboids.

The shoulder is a very complex structure, and overhead pressing alone isn’t enough to keep everything in balance.[/quote]

According to Rip, he says squats, OHPs and deadlifts are enough for full body strength. What do you think?

mark rippleTits and his crazy ideas…

[quote]xagunos wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

The shoulder is a very complex structure, and overhead pressing alone isn’t enough to keep everything in balance.[/quote]

According to Rip, he says squats, OHPs and deadlifts are enough for full body strength. What do you think?[/quote]

malanichev really only does bench, squat, dead, and abs. I think he’s probably pretty strong.

The reason for all these questions is my program consists of squats, OHPs and deads and I was wondering if it’s necessary maybe adding chins for the rear delts or do deads work them enough?

[quote]xagunos wrote:
The reason for all these questions is my program consists of squats, OHPs and deads and I was wondering if it’s necessary maybe adding chins for the rear delts or do deads work them enough?[/quote]

Not really.

I’m assuming you’re doing some beginner program? Well, I don’t think it’d hurt to add some face-pulls (higher rep, don’t go heavy) before or after your workout a few days a week.

[quote]xagunos wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

According to Rip, he says squats, OHPs and deadlifts are enough for full body strength. What do you think?[/quote]

What are you getting at? I think focusing solely on squats, OHP, deadlifts, or squats, bench, deadlifts will do a lot to build your strength.

Or even squats, OHP, bench, and deadlifts.

Or… squats, snatches, clean and jerk, and some power movements.

Really all depends on your goals, and how you want to go about doing it.

Alright chill, I’ll be sticking with those three lifts and hopefully make some good results. Thanks for the help!

[quote]xagunos wrote:
The reason for all these questions is my program consists of squats, OHPs and deads and I was wondering if it’s necessary maybe adding chins for the rear delts or do deads work them enough?[/quote]

If you start to run into issues with your shoulders, sure, do something to correct it.

I don’t think it’s necessary to do.

For me, high-rep sets of TRX face-pull/rows have done wonders at helping my shoulders feel better. They start as face pulls, and as fatigue sets in, become more like inverted rows.

But I developed an impingement issue which I’m correcting and healing from. So, this is what works for me.

[quote]xagunos wrote:

[quote]LoRez wrote:

I think this is an accurate statement. That said, it is not enough for full body longevity, balance, size or injury prevention, and Mark does not claim that they are.

If you’re doing SS, chins/pulls 2x/week are part of the program… at least the wichita falls version. Though, DLs can give you plenty of pulling.

With your OHPs, make sure to “shrug” at the top.

I agree with keeping it simple. Especially at first. But, I agree you probably will have to add some face pulls or something as you get into it a little further.

[quote]Crura wrote:
mark rippleTits and his crazy ideas…[/quote]
Dude, I thought you disappeared after Saturday since Sunday never came around.

Learn to power snatch or high pull.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[quote]xagunos wrote:

Not really.

I’m assuming you’re doing some beginner program? Well, I don’t think it’d hurt to add some face-pulls (higher rep, don’t go heavy) before or after your workout a few days a week.[/quote]

face-pulls are the secret of bodybuilding

Everyone here should be aware that the OP is, at most, 16 years old and has history of overcomplicating his training.
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/critique_my_new_routine_

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]xagunos wrote:
I think this is an accurate statement. That said, it is not enough for full body longevity, balance, size or injury prevention, and Mark does not claim that they are.[/quote]
I agree with Pwnisher. The squat, press, and dead are pretty reliable indicators or demonstrations of strength. I have to think that’s at least part of the reason Rippetoe helped them become the “Crossfit Total” officially adopted by CF. But sticking to only those three exercises in training will only go so far, and will leave gaps eventually needing to be addressed, just like any limited-exercise training plan.

Including pull-ups/chin-ups in a training plan is almost never a bad idea. There are tons of benefits to basic bodyweight exercises, especially as a younger lifter. Chins are advocated by tons of great coaches for being beneficial to strength, muscle, joint health, etc.

You’ll make zero progress if you keep changing plans every three weeks.

[quote]xagunos wrote:
Alright chill, I’ll be sticking with those three lifts and hopefully make some good results. Thanks for the help![/quote]

Plenty of well written, well thought out programs on this very site yet you want to do one that has just Squat, Deadlift and Overhead press.

To answer your original question overhead press works the anterior deltoid and not the rear deltoid.
To work the rear deltoid you should incorporate a horizontal pull such as Barbell or Dumbbell bent over row and/or a vertical pull such as pullups or pulldowns.
These are primarily back exercises that also stimulate the rear deltoid but at a beginners level these are the types of exercises that work.

Add Barbell or Dumbbell flat or incline bench press and your well on your way to a decent program.

Then again you could just pick one of the many that are already written out.

[quote]xagunos wrote:
I read an article by Mark Rippetoe saying presses work your anterior and posterior delts equally. Is this true? If so, would this mean an upper body pulling exercise is not needed since the shoulder girdle is balanced?[/quote]

I think this is usually true in most cases if you do the press the way that Coach Rip teaches it, at least it is for me. But individual mechanics may vary.

Even if it is true I don’t think that means an upper body pulling motion isn’t needed, because if you bench press as well, then you are obviously favoring the anterior heads. And I think pullups and chinups are helpful both for rear delt development as well as maintaining shoulder flexibility if you use a full ROM.

I used dead hangs from a pullup bar, then lots of pullups and chinups to rehab a pretty nasty impingement syndrome. If your scapula isn’t mobile you will have impingement issues, and pullups can help with this.