T Nation

Overhead Press Competition


#1

Has anyone heard of the overhead press (or clean and press) currently being contested in a meet anywhere sanctioned or unsanctioned, local or otherwise? I figured with the resurgence of interest in the lift some enterprising individual would petition to get it going again.


#2

Awhile back ago one of the powerlifting Feds had a Standing OHP division. But which fed it was escapes me at the moment.


#3

Sweet. I’ll keep looking around and see if I stumble onto one…


#4

or every strongman comp


#5

Damn …should have mentioned that also


#6

I think that a lot of people compete in strongman because, like me, they get hooked on overhead. Bench murders my shoulders, but I can OHP all day long.

edit: …and throwing shit over your head is epic!


#7

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
I think that a lot of people compete in strongman because, like me, they get hooked on overhead. Bench murders my shoulders, but I can OHP all day long.[/quote]

Bench doesn’t murder my shoulders, but OHP definitely feels better for me.

Until I get around to entering a strongman comp I’ll just have to wait for my buddy’s next kegger to compete. After flip-cup and beer pong we’re going to play a game of “Can you lift it over your head?”.

“Can you toss it in the fire?” didn’t end so well last year, but we totally learned our lesson.


#8

Something primal and greatly satisfying in heaving large weight overhead. OH Yeah!


#9

[quote]TheKraken wrote:
I think that a lot of people compete in strongman because, like me, they get hooked on overhead. Bench murders my shoulders, but I can OHP all day long.

edit: …and throwing shit over your head is epic! [/quote]
Yeah, I competed in strongman when I was younger myself and love OHP more then bench also.


#10

APA used to have strict OH Press comps


#11

Yep APA was the one I could not think of…


#12

[quote]gorillavanilla wrote:
Something primal and greatly satisfying in heaving large weight overhead. OH Yeah![/quote]

Hell yeah there is.

Bench press is great, and I’m not trying to diminish the lift just because I suck at it, but I am loving the press more and more on a number of different levels.

I believe this basic urge to lift a heavy thing over our head is born in the same part of our brain that makes us stare at fire, and I’m a guy who likes to stare at fire. So you’re damn right I like to press overhead. That’s just meathead biology 101.

Moving past the science of pressing, the fact that so few men in my gym embrace the challenge of a strict press makes it even more appealing to me. I don’t do them because they are easy.


#13

We used to have a bunch of really good OH pressers in the over 35 section the only one that’s still around is bulldog who was (is) awesome at it. Until injury it was my favorite pushing movement for sure. Hitting 250 strict at 242 was my high point. I truly believe If not for injury I would be at 300 now. It’s a shame it was the one movement that had always gone up for me, I really miss it.


#14

To be honest I prefer OHP over benching because I think its more bad ass then bench. But since I compete in Power lifting I have to cut back on really going heavy on them since it seems to over work me slightly now that im older and effects the bench. Now if I had no plans to do powerlifting I would spend more time and really getting my OHP to a respectable level. In my view the OHP is a better measuring stick for upper body strength of a person and more specifically athletes.


#15

Good stuff, good stuff. I can’t remember if it wsa Dan John or Rippetoe who said that when you do the OHP you are connecting with a piece weightlifting history. That stuck with me. Being an older guy, I grew up in the era of “Whaddya bench?”, but of course by being an older guy I now appreciate the old school guys and look further back for inspiration. I am currently taking the Doug Hepburn routine for a spin and he is a strong advocate of the OHP and views the bench press as a good assistance exercise for the OHP as it develops pec strength so racking the bar is easier in the OHP. Go figure…


#16

[quote]goose64 wrote:
Good stuff, good stuff. I can’t remember if it wsa Dan John or Rippetoe who said that when you do the OHP you are connecting with a piece weightlifting history. That stuck with me. Being an older guy, I grew up in the era of “Whaddya bench?”, but of course by being an older guy I now appreciate the old school guys and look further back for inspiration. I am currently taking the Doug Hepburn routine for a spin and he is a strong advocate of the OHP and views the bench press as a good assistance exercise for the OHP as it develops pec strength so racking the bar is easier in the OHP. Go figure…[/quote]
Well the nice thing is the ohp has become more popular again over the recent years.


#17

There were two things which started my love of any over head pressing as a kid.
1st was Ted Arcidi being known for doing Behind the neck presses with 400
2nd as funny as it may sound now was this guy…


#18

I don’t consider myself a big fan of professional wrestling, but I am a huge Ultimate Warrior fan. That guy was nuts! I watched his whole documentary on Netflix. I would love to have lifted with him.

I’m going to start re-enacting this scene before doing my deadlifts. Who’s going to say anything about it? That’s right, nobody.

RIP Warrior!


#19

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
I don’t consider myself a big fan of professional wrestling, but I am a huge Ultimate Warrior fan. That guy was nuts! I watched his whole documentary on Netflix. I would love to have lifted with him.

I’m going to start re-enacting this scene before doing my deadlifts. Who’s going to say anything about it? That’s right, nobody.

RIP Warrior![/quote] omfg LOLOLOLOL


#20

[quote]Slomo wrote:

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
I don’t consider myself a big fan of professional wrestling, but I am a huge Ultimate Warrior fan. That guy was nuts! I watched his whole documentary on Netflix. I would love to have lifted with him.

I’m going to start re-enacting this scene before doing my deadlifts. Who’s going to say anything about it? That’s right, nobody.

RIP Warrior![/quote] omfg LOLOLOLOL
[/quote]
Id pay to see that…LOL