Overhead Press Challenge Thread

I’m down. I can probably muster something halfway decent with a little bit of training.

Challenge accepted.

11/2/11: I use cleans as a warmup before deads and squats. Turning this into a clean and press was easy enough. It turned into a bit more than a warmup though. Will probably only go heavy with these once per each of my 5/3/1 cycles. On my next push press day I’ll see what I can do with DBs from the floor.

VIDEO:

Warmups as always.

Clean & jerks/push presses inspired by the overhead challenge thread.

111X5
161X3
201X2
251X1
271X1
291X0, Rest periods were too short, and my technique/tightness went to total shit. Lost it at the bottom. Took a rest, pulled my head out of my ass and tried it again.

291X1 PR sort of. My feet and catch were still all over the place, but I got it up. I’ve cleaned a little bit more than this before but have not clean and pressed it. Eh, I’ll take it.

[quote]DoveofWar08 wrote:
Challenge accepted.

11/2/11: I use cleans as a warmup before deads and squats. Turning this into a clean and press was easy enough. It turned into a bit more than a warmup though. Will probably only go heavy with these once per each of my 5/3/1 cycles. On my next push press day I’ll see what I can do with DBs from the floor.

VIDEO:

Warmups as always.

111X5
161X3
201X2
251X1
271X1
291X0, Rest periods were too short, and my technique/tightness went to total shit. Lost it at the bottom. Took a rest, pulled my head out of my ass and tried it again.

291X1 PR sort of. My feet and catch were still all over the place, but I got it up. I’ve cleaned a little bit more than this before but have not clean and pressed it. Eh, I’ll take it.

[/quote]

What am awesome start to thread! Impressive.

Dovesofwar: Nice!!! and on the first page too.
0_0

Did this as a general warm-up. I have been stuck at this weight but keep trying to beat it.

90k (198 lbs) x 1

Will try loading up my pressing log this weekend. Maybe even see what pressing a tire overhead would be like.

Damn you’re awesome Dove.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
It is a press, not a jerk. Push presses are perfectly fine.[/quote]

If it wasn’t for this line I’d be all over this. While my jerk is share-worthy my OH press and push press . . . maybe not so much haha. Although I train as an oly lifter so maybe that’s not even fair . . .

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
It is a press, not a jerk. Push presses are perfectly fine.[/quote]

If it wasn’t for this line I’d be all over this. While my jerk is share-worthy my OH press and push press . . . maybe not so much haha. Although I train as an oly lifter so maybe that’s not even fair . . .[/quote]

Given there is not much to see here yet, post away. If you check mine the only really push looking part comes at the end.

11/4/11 Push press.

VIDEO

Ignore the push presses from stands at the beggining. WOrked up to 150X3 in each hand with DBs.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:
aside from picking things up and putting them down, are there any other guidelines … like shoot for a minimum .75 of body weight or anything like that? Because, let’s be honest, there’s a lot of smart asses out there who’ll probably take your challenge and run with it…however that also might be interesting

I"m going to go lift a 7 year old over my head … brb[/quote]

Polo, come on man.

Lift a 120 pound stripper over you head.

You get married and lose all your desire didnt you?[/quote]

Funny story … I learned two things recently, 1.) you don’t try to lift 120lb strippers while they’re working and 2.) those bouncers must OH Press around 225 cuz they threw my 180lb ass outta there like I was a 120lb stripper. Also, they weren’t very friendly the next day when I went back and asked them for the video so I could post it on here…

11/4/11 Push press.

VIDEO

Ignore the push presses from stands at the beggining. WOrked up to 150X3 in each hand with DBs. [/quote]

Very nice. I have got to get the second push down. Those from the rack were instructive.

Challenge accepted.

VIDEO:

Warmups as always.

111X5
161X3
201X2
251X1
271X1

[/quote]

I think that’s the heaviest reverse curl I’ve ever seen!

Quick, not very related story:

When I was eleven I got a weight set at a garage sale. The only thing I knew about weights was what I saw in the 70’s era Olympics. Especially that big hairy Russian guy, Alexei Whateveranov. I was pretty good at immatating and could do a nice Clean & jerk catching it in a half squat then doing a split jerk. My friend Doug would come over and proceed to Deadlift, Reverse Curl and Shoulderpress more than my best Clean & Jerk.

Dove, you’re a beast.

Dove, you look leaner in the videos than in your avi. Where are you weighing in at now?

Tex Ag, my avi was taken back in July at a buddy’s wedding. I think I weighed around 255-260 then. These days, my bodyweight is in the upper 230s, fluctuating from as low as 235 to 239.

On Edge, thanks dude. Yeah, as far as technical ability goes, my “clean & jerks” really aren’t much more than a jumping rev. curl and push press. As you can probably tell I’ve not had much official instruction in the O-lifts, but like muscling/throwing things overhead.

CharlieHorse, Kakno, thanks dudette and dude.

Sooooo… Does anybody else actually like to do overhead lifts or are Tex Ag and I going to be the only folks posting in here??

Tex Ag: On an unrelated note, did you go to A&M? I’m class of 08.

Tex Ag, my avi was taken back in July at a buddy’s wedding. I think I weighed around 255-260 then. These days, my bodyweight is in the upper 230s, fluctuating from as low as 235 to 239.

Sooooo… Does anybody else actually like to do overhead lifts or are Tex Ag and I going to be the only folks posting in here??

Tex Ag: On an unrelated note, did you go to A&M? I’m class of 08.[/quote]

Yes, class of 96. Did you ever hear about the old Deware gym? An old gym that was condemned and removed for the stadium expansion. No AC, rust covered plates with old astroturf floors? It is the gym I first lifted in, a huge difference between it and the then new facility across the railroad tracks. I still do not like lifting in AC.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

Yes, class of 96. Did you ever hear about the old Deware gym? An old gym that was condemned and removed for the stadium expansion. No AC, rust covered plates with old astroturf floors? It is the gym I first lifted in, a huge difference between it and the then new facility across the railroad tracks. I still do not like lifting in AC.
[/quote]

That was before my time. I first got to A&M in the fall of 04 and the rec center and underpass were already complete. A bunch of that old equipment was moved into a couple of different “gyms” in the old G-Rollie volleyball staduim building though. When I lived in the dorms my friends and I made a habbit of exploring that place periodically and always found new old stuff.

Like you my first gym did not have AC, and yeah, I usually feel cold as hell until I get about 20-30 minutes into things. I do miss some of the equipment at the A&M rec center though, but am not willing to pay the non student membership fees, or deal with the nightmare that is on campus parking.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[/quote]

AG so you went to school during the Dat years?

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[/quote]

AG so you went to school during the Dat years? [/quote]

Yep. Interesting time.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[/quote]

AG so you went to school during the Dat years? [/quote]

Yep. Interesting time. [/quote]

My little brother played against Dat in High school. During that time was when I was working for a Aggie Alum so I was always going to A&M games. Was a fan until my little sister went to school at UT.

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:

[/quote]

That was before my time. I first got to A&M in the fall of 04 and the rec center and underpass were already complete. A bunch of that old equipment was moved into a couple of different “gyms” in the old G-Rollie volleyball staduim building though. When I lived in the dorms my friends and I made a habbit of exploring that place periodically and always found new old stuff.

Like you my first gym did not have AC, and yeah, I usually feel cold as hell until I get about 20-30 minutes into things. I do miss some of the equipment at the A&M rec center though, but am not willing to pay the non student membership fees, or deal with the nightmare that is on campus parking.
[/quote]

There was a great Nautiliss (sp?) pullover machine that I still miss.

I have not seen the underpass.