T Nation

Overeating/Binge Eating

Hey guys, about once a week I will get the urge to eat a lot. Not anything in particular but just a sense that i can’t fill up. Im getting a decent amount of fats and carbs…i don’t suspect that my body is “craving” anything.

Training is the same although i have added higher volume workout days (this could be it too) Is there any other reason this could be happening?

A friend suggested that my body might be periodically purging/cleaning itself (Usually to stop the hunger, i’ll eat a lot of high fiber foods and that does the trick). Any thoughts on that opinion?

Yeah.

Okay seeing as how I am a recovering anorexic who frequently binged and purged, I know what you are feeling here and I also know the solution.

You will only binge and actually proceed bingeing when you aren’t getting enough calories. It’s your body’s way of making up for that. Trust me, I don’t care if you say you are, you aren’t. There is a difference however when you crave an extra piece of cake, and if you just walk around for 20 minutes or something, that goes away, but when you binge, it’s primarily because you aren’t getting enough calories all the other days.

My advice to you is to increase your calories (protein and fat primarily)

Why protein and fat? Because I personally found during my recovery and still do that when I am increasing my calories farther, my body actually wants the protein and fat rather than the carbs that are only used as energy where protein and fat are used for hormonal production, ect.

Try that, trust me, see how that goes and you will be amazed at how the binges go away.

[quote]friedrice683 wrote:
Yeah.

Okay seeing as how I am a recovering anorexic who frequently binged and purged, I know what you are feeling here and I also know the solution.

You will only binge and actually proceed bingeing when you aren’t getting enough calories. It’s your body’s way of making up for that. Trust me, I don’t care if you say you are, you aren’t. There is a difference however when you crave an extra piece of cake, and if you just walk around for 20 minutes or something, that goes away, but when you binge, it’s primarily because you aren’t getting enough calories all the other days.

My advice to you is to increase your calories (protein and fat primarily)

Why protein and fat? Because I personally found during my recovery and still do that when I am increasing my calories farther, my body actually wants the protein and fat rather than the carbs that are only used as energy where protein and fat are used for hormonal production, ect.

Try that, trust me, see how that goes and you will be amazed at how the binges go away. [/quote]

I’ll try that too. I have the same problem, most likely because I’m an FFB.