Overcrowding of Earth?

Consequences?
Only anal sex will be allowed.

Thereafter, the term ‘PIIHB’ will become redundant.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
For anyone who thinks ‘we’ should ‘do something’ about planetary overcrowding.[/quote]

I would think one thing that could be done about over crowding would be to create infrastructure to support the population , Sewage and Fresh water for all , damn I am sounding liberal

plague/famine

Overpopulation? It’s underproduction!

Oil

[quote]Cprimero wrote:
Oil[/quote]

The first world countries are the primary consumers of oil. The first world countries typically don’t have any major overpopulation issues.

[quote]Ratchet wrote:
Kansas… drive across it then tell me there is overcrowding…

I have driving across the US (multiple times), Canada twice and in just that I can assure you, overcrowding will not be an issue in the next 100 years for either of those countries…[/quote]

the only thing there to sustain life is open space , no means of employement , probably not enough infrastutcture to support MUCH more life

HOLY SHIT! YOURE RIGHT! CONSUME AS MUCH AS YOU CAN WHILE THERE’S STILL TIME!!

WHy do people bring this up u can’t change it.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

I have driving across the US (multiple times), Canada twice and in just that I can assure you, overcrowding will not be an issue in the next 100 years for either of those countries…[/quote]

the only thing there to sustain life is open space , no means of employement , probably not enough infrastutcture to support MUCH more life [/quote]

Seriously? That is what you think about Kansas? No means of employment? Lol…

He was probably referring to Canada.

“Canada, with 3.3 people per square kilometre, has one of the lowest population densities in the world. In …”
source: http://atlas.nrcan.gc.ca/auth/english/maps/peopleandsociety/population/population2001/density2001

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

the only thing there to sustain life is open space , no means of employement , probably not enough infrastutcture to support MUCH more life [/quote]

are you that far from where we started having open space doesnt = supporting life? if you have space you can create, you can create employement, you can create infrastuture, you can create energy, food, and what you need.

so, please, try again.

typical japan apartment. funny, even they are not “over crowded”

i guess if your deffinitiion of over crowding is no resources (which wont happen in multiple life times) or not having 1 million acres to yourself…

till more info is given your point is invalid.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

Seriously? That is what you think about Kansas? No means of employment? Lol…[/quote]

OK please enlighten me how we could employ million in Kanas ?

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

are you that far from where we started having open space doesnt = supporting life? if you have space you can create, you can create employement, you can create infrastuture, you can create energy, food, and what you need.

so, please, try again.[/quote]

Do I understand you right , that we would need a tax to create this infrastucture ? Or how would and why doesn’t private enterprise step up to the plate ?

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]Ratchet wrote:

Seriously? That is what you think about Kansas? No means of employment? Lol…[/quote]

OK please enlighten me how we could employ million in Kanas ?[/quote]

We already do employee a million people in Kansas, 1,477,800 actually.

It won’t happen. If it gets to the point of “over population,” technology will advance and all of a sudden we won’t be over populated anymore. What people don’t realise is that people are “over populated” in the cities, or close to it. Cities make up a small percentage of the world, and folks can live comfortably else where besides the city.[/quote]

Advancements in technology face the law of diminishing returns by nature. Population growth has been exponential. A huge majority of the basic technology we use as a country was developed in the by the 1960s and hasn’t been significantly improved. Nothing is really that simple.

I mean if the solution to solving world hunger was as simple as growing beans in a hole in the desert, then there wouldn’t be world hunger.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

OK please enlighten me how we could employ million in Kanas ?[/quote]

depends on what bussiness you want to start. Putting a car plant there would be a good choice. You need lots of space and access to a railway. People in kansas would be a lot less likely to join the UAW so your labor would be cheaper. Now, if you know anything about car manufacturing, when you build a car plant, your suppliers will follow. This decreases the distance their goods travel before arriving at the plant and decreases their overhead. so lets see, that could easily hire a few tens of thousands right there.

If i then have all these people, I’ll need places for them to shop, see the doctor, get theri cars fixed, youll need schools, plumbers, builders, electricians.

Hopefully by now you see where I am going… one car plant = hiring a million plus people.

Now, back to the originial point… Overpopulations comes when we can no longer keep up with supply and demand for goods and services required to live… I dont know about you, but when was the last time you went into the supermarket and they didnt have what you needed? and I dont mean they were out of fruity pebbles, but that they ligitimately didnt have food… untill that happens, we dont have overpoplulation. And besides, before that would happen, food would become scarce, this would encourage people to have less kids and would have the net effect of solving itself… or we all end up eating a high protien brown goo… who knows…

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101115/ap_on_sc/us_one_way_to_mars

problem solved, send the old people on a one way trip to mars…

I think the biggest thing is that when people become overcrowded disease evolution increases dramatically. I know medical science has come a long way but from my perspective (I’m a biochemist) I see some scary holes in research today that could become problems in the future. For example, how many companies are working on next generation antibiotics? Not a lot because there’s no market for it, however we see stories all the time of antibiotic resistant bacteria.

It’s only a matter of time before some bacteria emerges that is resistant to all of our treatments and if things keep going the way they’re going we won’t be ready for it. Of course this may also never happen but the focus on the near term with no thought as to what could happen in the future is a big problem in disease research today. So all that basically leads to my ultimate point that I think disease will prevent overcrowding.