T Nation

Overcoming Low Confidence

il try not to make this sound lame as its a bit of a rant with various quetions. i’v been reading, well trying to read the many many articles, and i may bring some things up that have been discussed, sorry if i do.

firstly im 19, 6" 168 8% bf, been using weights since i were 15, but im not really thinking about using steroids yet or maybe ever as im not a bodybuilder, powerlifter,strongman or o-lifter like steroids are normally associated with (but you know that already).

i play rugby league, i have been involved wih a pro team since i were 14 (scholarship,U18 junior academy and now the U21 senior academy) so iv been playing above my age/size for the majority of this time and my size had never been much of a problem because i play wing, im fast. but in 2006 i injured my shoulder and my knee straight after, then i came back in 2007 and i felt like i were bein left behind physically by the younger players coming up not to mention all the older players and 1st team players that get put in the senior academy to get a run out.

now i have an huge intrest with weightlifting, o-liftin and strongman i try and read everything i can about weight training and conditioning, im on my way and i want to be a strength and conditioning coach. so i have an idea of what i need to do.

right back to the rugby, when i went back in 07 the coaches told me straight up i need to put on size and get stronger to even think about 1st team rugby, i kinda knew it but no one had really made it an issue before, this really knocked my confidence because i always held my own on the field. and from then i didnt even feel fast anymore an i played terrible and only got a few games (id gone from being top try scorer, a real prospect to a bench warmer if i were lucky).

i were always trying to get bigger and stronger eversince i joined a gym, i got diet sheets and tips from coaches and ate more than they said but i dont have massive appetite. never really made any substantial gains, quite a bit of strength but very little bodyweight. but i dont want to take a year out in fear i may be forgotten like when i got injured, and since the season has finished iv found myself not doin much training and trying to find a some sort of miracle but i know there isnt one!! i really do!!

im tryin to have faith and work hard, lift big and eat big! it always only last about a week and i drop off (dosnt help i have no one to train with), i lose confidence. and im a cofident guy normally, theres people who dont like me because of it.

so iv gone from bein a awsomely fit fast guy, to bein a unfit probly not very fast guy wi low self asteam and im just not in the right frame of mind to go out on to the fied and run the ball in like a kamikazie piolet and tryin to put hits on big guys n make them think twice about running at the skinny guy!!!

and with the season fast approaching in april, i dont know what to do? if i go back like this iv got no chance. iv tried talkin to my coach but i get told to snap out of it.

now i know thats alot to take in, it just came out. iv been readin up on steroids quite a bit but is this really the way to go? beacuse i know it takes years otherwise and i dont have that time now, and does this make me a cheat (i dont know how many players are on gear if any) but i know it would give me confidence with the added size and strength and would i lose that much? and i know these are not a miracle but give me the kick up th arse i need

also what i would like to know is would goin to the docs and finding out about steroids be an idea and if i decide to take injectables would ther be someone i could go to to give me the injections (sorry if thats a stupid question). and iv read this argument quite a bit about Dbol only which is what i were thinking about but know been warded off it. now thinking deca only would this be ok with tamoxifen for pct? i know i can get them form a good source. but what kinda doses?

Now steroids are not something iv decide on yet, i do believe in good old hard work, so i would like to ask you your advice/what i should do. and also your stories if you have gone the same or something similar? im just really lost and cofused so any advice would be awsome!!!

Thankyou if you have read all this. i put ths on here because i know of the knowledge that on here all your replies will be greatly appreciated.

the come back will be posted. its goin to happen!!

i have attached images of myself below

front

1. You have emotional issues
  2. You are coming off from an injury
  3. You don’t know how to train
  4. You don’t know how to diet
  5. You have no patience
    Steroids are not for you at this time. If you do them you will be in a world of hurt because of the factors I wrote above.

I can give you a better recipe for gains.

Part_A. Work out 6 days per week
A1. 3 days on this workout:

Squats 50reps
OHP 25 reps
Deadlifts 50reps
Dips 30reps
Chins 30 reps

• Trick is to pick a weight you can first do only for 10 reps and complete all the reps in as many sets as needed. When the last set is above 10 reps up the weight.

A2. The other 3 days you will do a HIIT aerobic routine
30minutes divided into something like this
5min warm-up
15min work = 1min Hard / 2 min low (hard as like your heart will explode)Do this for 5 cycles
10min to get your heart rate back to normal.

After the HIIT work on your rehab routines for shoulder and knee. Finish off with all body flexibility.

Part_B. Nutrition
B1. Meat, Fish, Fowl

• Figure which of the above you can eat regularly
    ** Select 50g or protein from the above (approx 200g of raw meat or raw fish or raw fowl)

Whenever you feel hungry this you will eat first

B2. Whole wheat bread, Brown Rice, Potatoes, Yams, Fruits and oatmeal

** Select 30g or protein from the above (approx 120g of the complex carbs above)

B3. Vegetables
Plan on buying 1lb of vegetables (any kind you like) add them to the meat and consume it with it. This is to allow your stomach to process more protein.

B4. Fats
Do not consume anything deep fried, breaded, prepackaged or manufactured in any kind. EFA’s are ok in minimum amounts during the breakfast only.

Part_C. Rest
Figure on going to bed a MINIMUM of 2 hours before midnight. So you will be resting as long as necessary (9 to 11 hours) every day. No exceptions to this rule. The body grows when it is resting not while training or eating.

Now do Parts A, B and C every day from now until this time next year and there is a good chance, with your age and height, of gaining a good 30lb of bodyweight. Most of it will be muscle and if you did the HIIT plus the weight training and rested enough for assimilating the nutrients, you will be faster, bigger and stronger.

This is the best advice I can give you. This is the basic template I used to go from 115lbs to 180lbs naturally in 3 years. (of course you have more discipline and pain tolerance than me so your results may be even bigger).

Consistency and Determination are the key!

Listen to Hatebreed

Your post is too long to read. Can you type up an abbreviated version that just gets to the point!

To answer your question…no, you aren’t ready for steroids.

Basically your looking to get bigger. The answer to this is to eat more calories. If you have trouble gaining weight and your appetite sucks, perhaps you should be eating foods that are more calorie dense. Steroids aren’t going to make you bigger, eating more calories than you burn will make you bigger. Steroids just make you gain cleaner weight.

You’re going to run into alot of posters on this forum who get way too caught up in all idealistic, new-agey stuff written by some of the nutritionists on this site. As if an ectomorph who consumes 4500 calories to maintain his bodyweight is going to do it by eating free-range, organic carrots and buffalo steaks that have been cold processed on the pristine Norwegian coast to remove their excessive xenoestrogen content. Don’t let some of these people on the forums make you forget that gaining weight is not about the quality of the food you eat, but the quantity (calorically speaking).

You need to get fucking dirty with your diet. Go drink a liter of full fat cream on top of everything you eat each day for two months and tell me you haven’t gotten bigger.

nice one cheers, iv been a real pussy. all good hard hitting advice thank you. listen to hated breed… whoooooooooo yea

If im not mistaken, (and im not) Saw DID give you some hard hitting advice? what were you expecting? That you could just come on “some steroid forum” at 19 and a buck seventy with this hyoooge story and the guys will just take pity on you and offer you loads of test and fistsfulls of orals with complete step by step instructions and WHAM! your massive in no time!..ya thought so.

take saw’s advice i mean seriously look at his results?! not that the same plan works for everyone but c’mon if you put on HALF the mas he did you’d still be sitten pretty

That is my point. Kids in this age think that everything is fixable with a pill. Take a pill and lose weight. Take another pill and gain muscle. Take another pill and be happy.

WTF??? What happened to old-fashion hard work?

OHH and one thing,

Just because you start as an ecto doesn’t mean that the only mass you will gain is muscle. If you aren’t careful with the eating and cardio ANYONE can get fat. How many guys I know that were “skinny” to begin, take gear, gain shitloads of weight only to find themselves 5 years down the road with love handles??

I mean if that is your idea of gaining mass and overcoming low confidence please be my guest and drink all the full fat milk, cream, fried potatoes and pizza. Just don’t complain when your hips are 5inches less than your chest and you can’t see the separations in your arms because it is one huge lunk or fat.

There is no bulking and cutting, I am tired of hearing this. The old-timers had this part wrong. There is a high carb phase and a low-carb phase. What you make of this is your choice.

I’m out!

[quote]bulletproof_ wrote:
You need to get fucking dirty with your diet. Go drink a liter of full fat cream on top of everything you eat each day for two months and tell me you haven’t gotten bigger.[/quote]

YOU ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT!

no i were not expecting pity, i were expecting good advice and i got it, thank you. and it wasnt just about steroids. just something iv thought about, like the majority of people who lift weghts i imagine?

I’d worry about playing your sport and having fun than getting bigger. Enjoy yourself first and foremost. I lift weights because I enjoy it. Not because something else in my life is lacking. Since your not as big as you want to be, work on being meaner and faster. I’m only 5’8" and Ive been whipping bigger guys asses my whole life growing up, and now working as a cop in the same ghetto neighborhood. I firmly believe mindset will prevail. If you want it you’ll go get it. Steriods will cause you more problems than you ever bargained for, which will outlast your sport.

Or you can try something new instead of rugby. I know Rugby is one of the toughest sports on the planet, it makes you feel tough playing. I have a best friend who played for a team here in america and got hit in the head one to many times. His last hit put him in a coma for 4 days and permanent brain damage. Now he can’t play any more rugby. My point is not to give more to something that you can’t get in return. Good luck and don’t make any rash decisions.

Like sawadeekrob said, your biggest problem is that your head doesn’t seem to be in it. Try to get that sorted out and decide if you want to pursue it or not. If so take his advice and run with it. Work hard, decide that you WILL turn yourself into a bigger, faster, more physical player. Doing the HIIT with sprints/jogging will help your fitness and speed. If you worked hard, got into better shape and got back into the playing mix and it looked like there was a future for you in rugby then steroids would be something to consider to take your game to the limit, but not now. Not as a shortcut.

[quote]sawadeekrob wrote:

1. You have emotional issues
  2. You are coming off from an injury
  3. You don’t know how to train
  4. You don’t know how to diet
  5. You have no patience
    Steroids are not for you at this time. If you do them you will be in a world of hurt because of the factors I wrote above.

I can give you a better recipe for gains.

Part_A. Work out 6 days per week
A1. 3 days on this workout:

Squats 50reps
OHP 25 reps
Deadlifts 50reps
Dips 30reps
Chins 30 reps

• Trick is to pick a weight you can first do only for 10 reps and complete all the reps in as many sets as needed. When the last set is above 10 reps up the weight.

A2. The other 3 days you will do a HIIT aerobic routine
30minutes divided into something like this
5min warm-up
15min work = 1min Hard / 2 min low (hard as like your heart will explode)Do this for 5 cycles
10min to get your heart rate back to normal.

After the HIIT work on your rehab routines for shoulder and knee. Finish off with all body flexibility.

Part_B. Nutrition
B1. Meat, Fish, Fowl

** Select 50g or protein from the above (approx 200g of raw meat or raw fish or raw fowl)

Whenever you feel hungry this you will eat first

B2. Whole wheat bread, Brown Rice, Potatoes, Yams, Fruits and oatmeal

** Select 30g or protein from the above (approx 120g of the complex carbs above)

B3. Vegetables
Plan on buying 1lb of vegetables (any kind you like) add them to the meat and consume it with it. This is to allow your stomach to process more protein.

B4. Fats
Do not consume anything deep fried, breaded, prepackaged or manufactured in any kind. EFA’s are ok in minimum amounts during the breakfast only.

Part_C. Rest
Figure on going to bed a MINIMUM of 2 hours before midnight. So you will be resting as long as necessary (9 to 11 hours) every day. No exceptions to this rule. The body grows when it is resting not while training or eating.

Now do Parts A, B and C every day from now until this time next year and there is a good chance, with your age and height, of gaining a good 30lb of bodyweight. Most of it will be muscle and if you did the HIIT plus the weight training and rested enough for assimilating the nutrients, you will be faster, bigger and stronger.

This is the best advice I can give you. This is the basic template I used to go from 115lbs to 180lbs naturally in 3 years. (of course you have more discipline and pain tolerance than me so your results may be even bigger).

Consistency and Determination are the key![/quote]

This is one of the best, most succinct diet, training and recovery posts I’ve seen in a long time. Great advice, well put together and full of useful info. Awesome.

After reading your post I had something prepared in my head to comment. However you have already had a good response that was more than adequate and will send you on your way.

In all reality you are obviously not eating enough.

Good luck.

There’s no way you’re 8% bodyfat.

[quote]Contrl wrote:
There’s no way you’re 8% bodyfat.[/quote]

His internet bodyfat is 8%.

Unfortunately it goes up to 12-14% when he leaves cyberspace.

bulletproof_ wrote:
You need to get fucking dirty with your diet. Go drink a liter of full fat cream on top of everything you eat each day for two months and tell me you haven’t gotten bigger.

YOU ARE A COMPLETE IDIOT!

[/quote]

It’s sarcasm you fool. It’s not meant to be taken literally. The facts remain however:

1. There’s too many guys on here that weigh a buck fifty, don’t truly understand how to eat more calories than they burn.
  2. There’s too many fools on these forums that try to convince the people mentioned above to follow stupid dietary advice that’s going to ensure they don’t regularly maintain the calorie surplus they need to get bigger.

That is my point. Kids in this age think that everything is fixable with a pill. Take a pill and lose weight. Take another pill and gain muscle. Take another pill and be happy.

OHH and one thing,

Just because you start as an ecto doesn’t mean that the only mass you will gain is muscle. If you aren’t careful with the eating and cardio ANYONE can get fat. How many guys I know that were “skinny” to begin, take gear, gain shitloads of weight only to find themselves 5 years down the road with love handles??

I mean if that is your idea of gaining mass and overcoming low confidence please be my guest and drink all the full fat milk, cream, fried potatoes and pizza. Just don’t complain when your hips are 5inches less than your chest and you can’t see the separations in your arms because it is one huge lunk or fat.

There is no bulking and cutting, I am tired of hearing this. The old-timers had this part wrong. There is a high carb phase and a low-carb phase. What you make of this is your choice.

I’m out![/quote]

This shit is so annoying. No bulking and cutting? Even steroid users commonly do bulking and cutting cycles and they are working with super-human nutrient partitioning. This is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Also what is this whole “high carb phase” / “low carb phase” comment all about. Are you completely lost to the concept of calorie surplus/deficit (the real mechanism for weight gain/loss).

It’s people like you that get these 150lbers on this site so paranoid about getting in their “clean foods”, plentiful cardio (which does what exactly?), and putting on a little fat that they never break the 200lb mark.

-Get enough protein
-Increase your calorie intake until slow and steady weight gain occurs until you hit 15% or so, then do the process in reverse to shed fat.
-Train properly

It doesn’t need to be so complicated for a newbie.

[quote]bulletproof_ wrote:
sawadeekrob wrote:

OHH and one thing,

I’m out!

This shit is so annoying. No bulking and cutting? Even steroid users commonly do bulking and cutting cycles and they are working with super-human nutrient partitioning. This is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Also what is this whole “high carb phase” / “low carb phase” comment all about. Are you completely lost to the concept of calorie surplus/deficit (the real mechanism for weight gain/loss).

It’s people like you that get these 150lbers on this site so paranoid about getting in their “clean foods”, plentiful cardio (which does what exactly?), and putting on a little fat that they never break the 200lb mark.

-Get enough protein
-Increase your calorie intake until slow and steady weight gain occurs until you hit 15% or so, then do the process in reverse to shed fat.
-Train properly

It doesn’t need to be so complicated for a newbie.[/quote]

Sure I don’t know what I am doing…

Get a life TROLL!!!