Overcoming Long Arms on Deadlift

If you have long arms and weak back try SUMO. In the meantime get that back strong (45 deg hypers with a row, regular good mornings, safety squat bar seated good mornings, and first pulls like weightlifters do to ensure technical mastery during initial pull.)

don’t forget the hams,
Pete Arroyo

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:

How do you keep from using all lower back on the deadlift, or is it ok to do that? I built up my shoulders to overcome the long arms on bench, and the long legs help when I tuck them tight.[/quote]

Its definately a back lift…unless of course you pull sumo.

However, most of the top pullers all pull conventional.

[quote]vulcan500rider wrote:
The result is a smoother, safer, DL that doesn’t leave your upper back (and lower if done improperly) rounded as badly. It would end up looking more like this picture.[/quote]

The thing is though, on any type of maximum effort, the lower back will round and maybe the upper. You go to alot of meets, you see alot of lifts turn into stiff legged DLs.

[quote]liftergary wrote:
If you use tight gear, sometimes that has people start with their hips too high as well.
[/quote]

For this reason, I never got accustomed to pulling in a suit or with the belt too tight, I simply cannot get down to the bar with my back in position. It feels too awkward and too restricting.

I always pull in just a singlet and with a looser belt.