Overcoming flat chest problem.

Talk to my ex girlfriend

John K,
You only do 3 sets of bench a week? WTF?

Thanks guys for yours opinions.Someone post that maybe is a question of strength, but In my experience the more weight you use less chest work and more front delt and triceps work, simply the excess weight don?t allow you to concentrate an isolate chest muscle, also there are powerlifters with relatively poor chest deveploment that are called “delt benchers”. I think genetics play a major part in this issue, before I begin to train I was very skinny and also and asthmatic since my childhood and I always have some kind of depressed rib cage but naturally gifted big shoulders, so after 15 years training this issue for me I think is about finding some kind of training technique that takes in account genetic disadvantage.

I bounced your question off of an old school trainer at the gym…with everything you have tried…Like we told you try and incorporate more dumbell work , slight to full incline and he recomends that you give pull overs a shot…he says that sometimes that stimulating those underlying muscles will somtimes cause the outer pecs to start a new growth pattern kinda like teaching old dogs new tricks or reprogramming them…Just a thought…

I cant remember where I read it but apparently the problem (obviously) is caused by the fact that the function of the pec is not just to raise the upper arm (when lying in a flat bench position) as i’m sure you realise. My understanding is that it the pec is more effectively recruited if the angle of resistance is moved across the body. So, imagine you’re lying on the bench and your arms/shoulders/pecs are in the bottom position of the bench press movement (without a bar though) - you then push the arms up as if you would were benching a bar but as you raise them you bring your hands closer together and unltimately even cross them (this shift the load from the delt to the pec). It is difficult to provide load at this angle but it can be done using a bench under a cable cross-over set-up. Take a cable handle in each hand and bench as described.

Hope this helps.

Will-of-iron

1 set of 20 reps Squat with a big weight (ideally with a weight that allows you 10 reps) immediately followed by 1 set of 20 reps db pullover (with straight arms using a light weight (10-20 lbs)). Rest a few minutes then go to the bench press for 3-4 working sets (4-8 reps). Try this once a week for 3 months. Whenever possible add some weight (5%)to the squat and to the bench press (3-5%).