T Nation

Overanalyzing Rest Interval?

Hey folks,

Just came off a month of the Waterbury method and had a question about how you all deal with rest intervals. I was trying to time it so that from when I completed the final negative from one set to when I began the first rep of the next set was EXACTLY one minute. So I would watch my clock and after forty seconds I would do my prep and liftoff so that I could do my first rep at the minute mark.

Is this too anal retentive? Will just waiting a minute then doing my prep and liftoff really make a difference? I am really interested in how you guys view this. Thanks for any input!

Creighton

When doing speed work I keep exact restintervals, usually 45 sec, but when going heavy I go more by feel. Between 2-3 minutes I guess.

I don’t think the results will suffer if you rest 15-20 sec longer between sets.

If you get results, keep up with what you’re doing, if not, change something.

Chad Waterbury designed every aspect of his programs. This includes the time between sets.

If you are going for pure strength then a longer time between sets is ok. If you are using the method for conditioning then the rest period is a vital part of the program. Some other lower weight/higher rep schemes include the rest period as a specific requirement.

I do the same thing, but if I miss by 10, 15 or even (gasp!) 30 seconds, I don’t consider it a big deal… but I press myself to have a better set given the “extra” rest.

Kuz

[quote]honulea wrote:
Hey folks,

Just came off a month of the Waterbury method and had a question about how you all deal with rest intervals. I was trying to time it so that from when I completed the final negative from one set to when I began the first rep of the next set was EXACTLY one minute. So I would watch my clock and after forty seconds I would do my prep and liftoff so that I could do my first rep at the minute mark.

Is this too anal retentive? Will just waiting a minute then doing my prep and liftoff really make a difference? I am really interested in how you guys view this. Thanks for any input!

Creighton[/quote]

I do the rest intervals the same way that you do because that is the way the program was designed.

Stick to rest intervals as best you can but when it comes down to it… if you miss it… what are you gonna do about it?