Overanalyzing, Overtraining, Overstressing. Help Me Get Out of This Rut

Looks good, but for someone overtraining, overstressing, a more standard 5/3/1 is probably better, at least until you get back on track. I’d highly recommend getting Jim’s book, for more options and a better understanding of his approach.
Hit the numbers and you will get a good workout. Accessory exercises are optional, but should be done. If you don’t feel up to doing them for health, or a busy life gets in the way that day , no sweat.

You’re an emotional basket-case. Have you considered seeing a therapist?

BW is around 74.5kg at 6’0ft. Best lift DL - 202kg. But I don’t think I’d hit that right now, probably more like 190 I’d estimate at this moment in time

1 Like

Cmon man…

he’ actually probably given you the best advice in the thread so far.

I mean jesus christ, this is a fucking hobby and you’re saying things like:

Non-crazy people’s hobbies don’t terrify them. Non-crazy people’s hobbies don’t destroy their personal relationships.

You’re crazy. Seek help.

6 Likes

Get a new hobby and start building Lego or some shit.

You’re 6’0 tall, and 160 lbs??? After training for 7 years, OBSESSIVELY? yea man. Get out of the iron game. It’s not for you.

Pangloss is on the right track, whether you like his bluntness or not. You NEED to make weightlifting/exercise nothing more than a hobby. If you’ve seriously trained as long as you have, and that’s all you’ve been able to achieve, you’re not going anywhere with this. Figure out a way to be happy and content with the body you have, and do what you have to do to just maintain it. Stalling is ok. Just go into maintenance mode in the gym and the kitchen, learn to love yourself, and pursue other passions.

4 Likes

Half-serious reply:

All-serious reply: Read Dan John’s Work, Rest, Play, Pray to recalibrate yourself.

What does “athleticism” mean to you? What sport do you do? I have a feeling the answer is none, so maybe fix that. Having a competition or match to specifically train for might give you some direction. Although the pressure of competing might actually backfire and cause more stress and overwork, so yeah, I don’t know.

Also, you can’t maintain general health because you’re not currently healthy. You need to get back to a state of health to begin with. Like the guys are all saying, that means finding your way to a better mindset about your relationship to the gym.

3 Likes

That’s a great article.