T Nation

Overall Eye Health

I’ve recently had eye surgery. The surgery left my vision worse than it was before (was 20/20 but now is noticiably worse) The doctors are telling my to give it time, but the situation has gotten me curious about eye health.

So main question what do other tnations do to help out their vision?

And other than foods, what supplements do they take to improve their vision and strengthen their overall eyes?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Cyanidin 3-glucoside, aka Indigo-3G ( http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g ) has shown pretty remarkable effects on vision and eye health in general, even though we don’t talk about those properties much.

Drinking tons of water throughout the day, especially on an empty stomach seems to help.

Keeping booze and coffee to an absolute bare minimum probably not a bad idea either.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
I’ve recently had eye surgery. The surgery left my vision worse than it was before (was 20/20 but now is noticiably worse) The doctors are telling my to give it time, but the situation has gotten me curious about eye health.

So main question what do other tnations do to help out their vision?

And other than foods, what supplements do they take to improve their vision and strengthen their overall eyes?

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.[/quote]
What eye surgery did you have?

I think for optimal eye health, one should follow a healthy balanced diet including a vegetables and fruits for your vitamins etc. But you should be eating those anyway.

There is some evidence for supplementation to help with those with macula degeneration, but even those studies are questionable. Fish oil and vitamin A has been shown to help those that suffer from dry eyes. It has been shown to improve tear film quality and the epithelium covering the front surface of your eye.

Wearing sunglasses is good, obviously to reduce UV exposure.

tweet

I had conjunctivol plasti done. I had an abrasion to my conjuntiva that didn’t heal properly and was causing pain, irretation, dry eye, as well as a droopy eye lid.

I had the surgery on OCT 23rd. So far not much has changed but I am optomistic. They said full healing would take 6-8 weeks, but at the 4 week mark we’re going to look into autologous serum tears for my dry eye issue and then eventually look into plastic surgery to “lift” my upper eye lid. (They were hoping that the surgery would fix everything but all signs are not pointing in that direction.)

[quote]TC wrote:
Cyanidin 3-glucoside, aka Indigo-3G ( http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/indigo-3g ) has shown pretty remarkable effects on vision and eye health in general, even though we don’t talk about those properties much.[/quote]

Thank You for the information TC. I will look into Indigo-3G and try to see if I can fit it into my budget. Do you have any other products that you might think will work as well?

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
I had conjunctivol plasti done. I had an abrasion to my conjuntiva that didn’t heal properly and was causing pain, irretation, dry eye, as well as a droopy eye lid.

I had the surgery on OCT 23rd. So far not much has changed but I am optomistic. They said full healing would take 6-8 weeks, but at the 4 week mark we’re going to look into autologous serum tears for my dry eye issue and then eventually look into plastic surgery to “lift” my upper eye lid. (They were hoping that the surgery would fix everything but all signs are not pointing in that direction.) [/quote]

Ahh. So your most probably suffering from dry eye symptoms.

Google “thera -tears”. Those are one of the better eye lubricants on the market. Depending on severity and aetiology, you might want to consider “cyclosporin-A” eye drops. Although I would discuss this with your ophthalmologist.

Using a more viscous gel like eye drop just before bed may benefit you, to protect your eyes from dry eye as you sleep and help provide an optimum environment for the anterior surface of your eye to repair. I would also suggest supplementation with fish oil and vitamin A. Use sunglasses outside, and try and avoid any direct contact from forced air sources such as air conditioners.

tweet

Phoenix, there’s also a lot of research involving Resveratrol ( http://www.t-nation.com/store/products/rez-v ) and eye health, so you might want to think about that, too, along with something we don’t carry, lutein.

CDP choline
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18929133 - associated with improvements in visual functioning

Ginkgo biloba
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12578781 - appears to improve preexisting visual field damage in some patients with NTG (normal tension glaucoma, patients were all age 65+)

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

I had the surgery on OCT 23rd. So far not much has changed but I am optomistic. They said full healing would take 6-8 weeks, but at the 4 week mark we’re going to look into autologous serum tears for my dry eye issue and then eventually look into plastic surgery to “lift” my upper eye lid. (They were hoping that the surgery would fix everything but all signs are not pointing in that direction.) [/quote]

Ahh. So your most probably suffering from dry eye symptoms.

Google “thera -tears”. Those are one of the better eye lubricants on the market. Depending on severity and aetiology, you might want to consider “cyclosporin-A” eye drops. Although I would discuss this with your ophthalmologist.

Using a more viscous gel like eye drop just before bed may benefit you, to protect your eyes from dry eye as you sleep and help provide an optimum environment for the anterior surface of your eye to repair. I would also suggest supplementation with fish oil and vitamin A. Use sunglasses outside, and try and avoid any direct contact from forced air sources such as air conditioners.

tweet[/quote]

Well right now I’m prescribed prednisolone and tobradex oinment. I see the doctor on Thursday to see if I can start wein(sp) myself off of those. I was looking for things other than tears or gels, those are more just fixing a sympton rather than a problem.

I had 20/20 vision and not a single eye problem pre incident and I intend to do whatever it takes to get back to that.

On a similar note. I’m having an issue with my eye lid on the same eye. The initial incident happened in Sept of 12, so it has been quite some time that my eye has been in this “state” one of the main effects of the abrasion was that it caused my eyelid to droop, that coupled with some stretching that occured during the surgery, is causing my eye to look pretty rediculous.

Someone I know mentioned that I might want to look into collagen, and I was wondering if anyone on here might have an opinion about this.

(Ofcourse when you google it, I have 3029303 items that I can buy containing collagen, but I have no idea how to even start looking for quality effective products)

[quote]TC wrote:
Phoenix, there’s also a lot of research involving Resveratrol ( http://www.T-Nation.com/store/products/rez-v ) and eye health, so you might want to think about that, too, along with something we don’t carry, lutein.

[/quote]

TC I actually bought some Rez-V a little bit ago with someother Biotest products, but unfortunately I was having this weird issue with my mouth (numb tongue metallic taste) so at the time I stopped taking everything, then coincidently right after that I had the surgery. Will start taking tomorrow morning again. Thanks!